Maryland Post Game

Inequality

3 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

Seems like it's been that way since I starting watch Indiana 30 years ago. This might be some homerism but I feel like beating Indiana is big deal for any team even when we aren't playing well. Every kid on the opposing wants to hit big shots against the Hoosiers and when one kid has it going opposing coaches are gonna let them have the ball.

Beating Indiana WAS big 30 years ago.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

Agree. I thought he looked solid in the first half when he was in without XJ for a while and had the ball in his hands. 

You could see his future. He's not a spot up wing, he's a guy as he develops you want the ball in his hands in the PnR. He's going to be a creator of offense, not a stand and shoot guy. 

He has a knack for coming off the ball screen and turning the corner to get to the mid-range/paint. Just needs to work on decision making and things slowing down when he rises to shoot. 

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

Rarely do I comment much on personnel in regards to my opinion. I would roll with Bates 22mins+ the rest of the season. Explain to him the things he is doing wrong on the fly. 

I think he needs mins at this point. Things have slowed down for him some. 

Good posts.  What I like about Bates, from the outside it sure looks like he is receptive to coaching.   There have been times where had made his mind up to shoot and nothing was going to change it.  It was like a heavy smoker who went without a smoke for hours.  They shake and panic as they try to open a new pack.  He'd be like that with that ball.  "I have got to get this shot up."  I had picked up on that earlier in the season, and if you looked for it, it was so obvious.

Woodson has worked with him on that.  I still think he has a propensity to take bad shots but it's far less egregious.  It's apparent that Woodson has made very clear what he needs to do fundamentally.

What i see is a kid who is listening and taking the coaching.  I really like that about him.  One thing I don't like is a kid who does the wrong things and when they don't get on the floor they pout and act like it's unfair.  I don't think Bates has that all.  Do the right things and you will get minutes.

A lot of people don't seem to agree with me, but i think Lander is likewise still capable.  This is a talented kid who needs to get stronger and learn the game at this level.  I am bullish.

• Like 2

It’s clear the Jessie’s need to stay but they need a road red version.

The offense is so much better when the guards drive off the PnR as others have mentioned.  And not just XJ, Parker driving on the goaltend by Maryland and even Leal passing on the three and hitting Race for the easy bunny.  Leal heard the moans when he passed on the shot in AH and after Race made the basket kind of made a motion with his hands like calm down I got this.

I also agree with @btownqb that that three percentage is fine but need to put up a few more to make that percent work.  Spread the floor and move the ball and no more just standing there and chucking up shots.  This game shows the team can avoid that and then need to keep it up.  Let’s finally get some momentum for a change going into the BIGTT!

• Like 1

I liked the cream hue on the jerseys.  Nice change of pace from the white.  I didn't get a chance to focus on what was on the side but they were good alternates.  

Don't get me wrong, I love our regular jerseys with the clean white and the block Indiana.  So clean and prestigious, IMO.  Most schools don't have that simple solution and they come out with loud and erratic jerseys.  I mean, Illinois', just as an example, zero identity to what they wear.  Terrible branding.  Every jersey they trot out there has zero meaning.  You can go down the list for many schools.

Ours look great, are timeless, and are great for branding.  

I hope some are starting to see a glimmer of what next year could look like if Bates takes a step and JHS is ready to go Day 1. 

XJ, JHS, Bates could all be guys who can run the PnR, can hit threes at a decent enough clip to keep you honest, and all could be really good on defense with their length and athleticism. We need to have space on offense if we are going to operate that way, though. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I hope some are starting to see a glimmer of what next year could look like if Bates takes a step and JHS is ready to go Day 1. 

XJ, JHS, Bates could all be guys who can run the PnR, can hit threes at a decent enough clip to keep you honest, and all could be really good on defense with their length and athleticism. We need to have space on offense if we are going to operate that way, though. 

Exactly.  I meant to say that about Bates.  Good length and quickness.  Let him fill out and learn better technique and he can be a good two way player.

• Like 3

I think with a little work Bates can be really really good. You can just tell the ones that have that special edge to them and he stood out to me right away.

He has shown floor vision, a high ability to create, great ball handling skills, and I really like his game tempo and explosive ability.

I think the kid just needs reps.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

We'll beat Minny in a blowout and then lay a turd against Snookie U at home on Senior night in what would probably be a play in game.  That's the Indiana way!

If Lanardi knows what he is talking about he says IU needs 3 more wins and that was before the Maryland.  That included the BTT

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If Lanardi knows what he is talking about he says IU needs 3 more wins and that was before the Maryland.  That included the BTT

The only way I can see a 9-11 IU team getting in is if we win 2 in the BTT or one of those 9 wins is at Mackey.

Edited by dbmhoosier

6 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

The only way I can see a 9-11 IU team getting in is if we win 2 in the BTT or one of those 9 wins is at Mackey.

No chance this years team is winning at Mackey.

I’m guessing IU wins at Minnesota and at home vs Rutgers in a slugfest to go 2-1 over the next three.

10-10, .500 in conference play and 19-11 overall. I think they squeak in regardless of the conference tournament results.

I think if Phinisee and Galloway had stayed healthy and the one game suspension hadn’t happened and Trace hadn’t bruised his tailbone, IU finishes 3 games over .500

We do not get in with 13 losses unless we make a run to the semis of the BTT.  And, even in that scenario, you are at the mercy of conference tournament upsets.  In order to avoid 13 losses, we have to win 2 of our last 3 regular season games.  The regular season loss is #11 and the BTT loss is #12. 

12 loss at-large teams happen every year.  13 loss at-large teams do not.   

• Like 3

The Illinois game was way more impactful than I thought. I knew it was the difference between being in second place in the conference behind a group of 3 tied for 1st. I think we would've been a game back from that group going into Northwestern. Meaning, very much in the hunt. I wonder if that played into the spiral. 

I believe that XJ and Race will be back next year. With Bates, Geronimo and Galloway and more importantly CMW with the year of adjustment under his belt, we'll make tourney. We have 1 frosh next year that will impact the team immediately and I believe Banks will have his moments. A "better than Durr" portal acquisition that can be imposing in the paint is a must. 

With that being said, our next game will be our last win IMO until the opening round of the NIT. I think winning the NIT would be a pretty good. I'm not sure if anyone has ever played one and coached the same team to an NIT crown. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, rico said:

Fatts Russell can win some games, but he will lose a helluva lot more.

At one point he was 8-19 😬, so I’m not sure he went off, kept them in the game, etc. He might have shot them out of it.

Edit: Looks like he finished 9-21. Lucky for him he hit a couple circus threes to go 5-9 from the arc. Overall, not really very good although it appeared to be. 

Edited by kyhoosier29