2022 through 2065 MLB Seasons

5fouls

I've learned to enjoy watching AL games even though I dont like the DH.  The reason is I get to see all the NL teams when watching the Reds.

So, if I have some random Saturday afternoon free, I'm more inclined to watch the A's versus Tigers than the Braves versus Cardinals.

What I cant do, however, is watch any Tampa Bay or Toronto home game.  Give me blue sky (or stars) and something that at least looks like grass.

1 hour ago, rico said:

I have come to the conclusion that it is dang hard to explain how things were back in the day to people.  I actually have the same problem with my adult children.  They believe that only having 5 TV stations existed when Noah was building the Ark and that 8 track tapes are a figment of my imagination.  I won't be around when you turn 70 but man I am so curious how you are gonna explain how sports were to your kids/grandkids.  LOL

From my 54 year-old pov, MLB is broke.  The DH, once again my pov, just makes it brokener.  MLB has taken something that worked well and f***ed it all up.  

I just hate that baseball has so little action in the game.  It pretty much a HR, walk or a strikeout.  There is very little stealing bases today which was so exciting.  

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, btownqb said:

Why would that be a good thing? 

The World Series use to be like a Super Bowl for the whole week. Back when ALL world series games were played during the day, on weekday games, every teacher I ever had would wheel a TV into the room, and we'd watch the game. Very cool.

And anyone who doesn't prefer a nice cold one while sitting in the sun over night baseball is a communist any way 😉

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

Some of my best memories were running into the house right off the bus to watch playoff baseball. To reach the younger audience you are not get that done with games going past midnight

"during the day" starting at 1pm? That is going to be mighty hard for some kids to swing!!  Starting at 430? I thought they did play a fair amount of playoff games that started in the 4-5pm window EST?  

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The World Series use to be like a Super Bowl for the whole week. Back when ALL world series games were played during the day, on weekday games, every teacher I ever had would wheel a TV into the room, and we'd watch the game. Very cool.

And anyone who doesn't prefer a nice cold one while sitting in the sun over night baseball is a communist any way 😉

Yeah well, good luck with that now lol 

I'm lucky they let me put the NCAA games on. 

Edited by btownqb

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Worked for years

with TV markets controlling things now? 

There were tons of games that started before 5pm in the last playoffs, I just checked. I just don't know when the games "used" to start. So idk how to compare it. IUFLA mentioned the whole world series was played during the day at one point? Sort of crazy to think about, I'm sure that was pretty cool. 

Baseball skipped a generation in my family. My dad has no interest. My grandpa loved it though. I didn't watch baseball until I was in college and picked up the Reds w/Votto, Rolen, Jay Bruce, etc. They had some really solid clubs! I didn't understand getting rid of Dusty Baker, but I had don't have the knowledge to know. 

And yeah, on our coast it's after midnight. But when the Dodgers play in SF in the playoffs and that game starts at 6pm local time..... I see no reason people from the Midwest or the East Coast should be complaining. 

Contemplating what version of a Phillies jersey I want of Schwarber. Can't stand the way the Phillies pinstripes look. I just don't like red pin stripes, I think, lol... IU has some and I don't like them, either. 

Not huge on the powder blues, unless it's the Chargers or Royals, either. 

I like the cream color they wear at home. Or maybe the red one? Idk. I am not a fan of him being there, but it does seem they should be successful and obviously I want him to win. Just don't like Philly. 

23 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Funny that the Reds GM said that the the PTBNL would make fans excited. I don't know about you but I have never heard of him

Never heard of him either but from what I am seeing, most Reds fans seem to be happy with him.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I did know that. 

What took them so long to put lights up? 

The neighborhood played a part (I don't know if you've ever been to Wrigley, but it's nestled into a residential neighborhood near Clark and Addison). 

The Cubs were supposed to put up lights in the 40s, but scrapped the idea because of the war. Baseball was booming in the 50s, so Phil Wrigley, the owner at the time, saw no reason to install lights. Even with a subpar team, the Cubs drew pretty well.

Then it became a tradition thing...

But, money beats tradition every time...

It was nice in the summer though, to know that @ 1:20 if the Cubs had a home game, it'd be on WGN...

Edited by IUFLA

18 minutes ago, btownqb said:

And yeah, on our coast it's after midnight. But when the Dodgers play in SF in the playoffs and that game starts at 6pm local time..... I see no reason people from the Midwest or the East Coast should be complaining. 

Who in the hell cares about the left coast?

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The neighborhood played a part (I don't know if you've ever been to Wrigley, but it's nestled into a residential neighborhood near Clark and Addison). 

The Cubs were supposed to put up lights in the 40s, but scrapped the idea because of the war. Baseball was booming in the 50s, so Phil Wrigley, the owner at the time, saw no reason to install lights. Even with a subpar team, the Cubs drew pretty well.

Then it became a tradition thing...

But, money beats tradition every time...

It was nice in the summer though, to know that @ 1:20 if the Cubs had a home game, it'd be on WGN...

Makes sense. I have not been to Wrigley. 

We will be at Fenway in July though!! This will only be my 2nd stadium I have ever been to, baseball wise. 

Edited by btownqb