2022 through 2065 MLB Seasons

5fouls

24 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Also on the Dan Patrick show they were talking about how different baseball is today and talked about pitching. Nolan Ryan had 222 complete games in his career where Clayton Kershaw has 25

Maybe without all those innings, Ryan could have pitched longer instead of having his career cut short at age 46. :coffee:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

41 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Also on the Dan Patrick show they were talking about how different baseball is today and talked about pitching. Nolan Ryan had 222 complete games in his career where Clayton Kershaw has 25

I remember the first time I saw him pitch in the 1969 NLCS vs the Braves... I thought he was going to be a star...

When the Angels got him straight up for Jim Fregosi, I couldn't believe it... 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I don't think Barrero will ever hit in the magnets. He so far is 4 for 20 2hr 3rbi 11K's 0 walks

I wouldn’t say that. I think he’ll be very Castellanos or Suarez like. He’ll be prone to striking out on breaking balls away but he’ll hit enough. Not saying he’ll hit as well as them but enough. I think a SS comp for him is Willy Adames of the Brewers. Strikes out a lot but hits for some power and plays good defense. 

8 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I wouldn’t say that. I think he’ll be very Castellanos or Suarez like. He’ll be prone to striking out on breaking balls away but he’ll hit enough. Not saying he’ll hit as well as them but enough. I think a SS comp for him is Willy Adames of the Brewers. Strikes out a lot but hits for some power and plays good defense. 

I think once Marte, Arroyo and Cruz gets to the major Barreo won't be playing SS

55 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Just look at his stats in the majors.

Games 51

AB 145

BA .196

Walks 3

K's 55

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I think once Marte, Arroyo and Cruz gets to the major Barreo won't be playing SS

He’s better than everyone except Arroyo defensively and he likely won’t be up for 2-3 years. If he can hit .220-.250 with 20+ HR’s and striking out around 30% of the time or less he’s going to play for at least a couple years. 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Just look at his stats in the majors.

Games 51

AB 145

BA .196

Walks 3

K's 55

He’s more talented than those numbers show. His 2020 stats on career are crap. Last year David Bell screwed him. This is his first real shot in the majors. 

Just now, DC2345 said:

He’s better than everyone except Arroyo defensively and he likely won’t be up for 2-3 years. If he can hit .220-.250 with 20+ HR’s and striking out around 30% of the time or less he’s going to play for at least a couple years. 

I hope he isn't a full time player with those horrible stats.  I guess my definition of a good hitternus not what it use to be.  You use to have maybe one week hitting player in your lineupb which was probablylike a .240 hitter which today is considered a descent batting average.

46 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I hope he isn't a full time player with those horrible stats.  I guess my definition of a good hitternus not what it use to be.  You use to have maybe one week hitting player in your lineupb which was probablylike a .240 hitter which today is considered a descent batting average.

.240 isn’t good but there’s other stats teams look at more than batting average. The thing is you can get away with a lower average at a position if they’re are a over average defensively and can bring other things like athleticism and power to the table. Barrero could potentially do that. He just has to show progress the rest of this season and off season. 

2 hours ago, DC2345 said:

.240 isn’t good but there’s other stats teams look at more than batting average. The thing is you can get away with a lower average at a position if they’re are a over average defensively and can bring other things like athleticism and power to the table. Barrero could potentially do that. He just has to show progress the rest of this season and off season. 

I know that is how it is today but devaluing BA is hurting offenses in baseball.  Not caring about BA and strikeouts make for very bad offense that is very inconsistent.  If you don't make contact nothing can good can happen for your team.  The more you put the ball in play the better chance of scoring runs.  The last time I checked you win games when you score more than you give up.  Give me a guy hitting .300 20 home runs and 100 RBI over a guy who hits .220 40 home runs and 80 RBI. 

For me using the advance metrics has taken a lot of the more entertaining parts of baseball away. The run game is for the most part non existent and to me was a huge part of a good team.  Don't like the Cardinals but those teams of the 80's was so fun to watch. When there top of the lineup got on you knew they were going to score. Colman gets a single was le him getting a triple because he was going to be on third after a couple of pitches. Tommy Herr hit like .300 9hr and 110rbi