2022 through 2065 MLB Seasons

5fouls

Lodollo needs to learn to be more pitch efficient because 5 times he got ahead 0-2 or 1-2 and went to a full count.  He gets ahead and then nibbles the corners.  Mahle had the same problem where they try to make the perfect pitch.  Instead of trying to strike everyone out try to get outs as quickly as possible.

I understood the Castillo and Mahle trade because it actually got us top prospects that has a future.  I didn't understand trading Pham, Naquin and Drury because the guys we got for them probably doesn't have much of a chance to get to the majors.  I guess the guy we got for Drury was a descent prospect.

11 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Get Joey Votto in the booth gang. What a guy. Different version of Grace but still the same type of guys. 

Joey says he is still having fun.  I do believe Cincy has an option for '24.  I hope the Reds can get him at a reduced rate so he can play for them well into his 40's.  And yes, there is a job waiting for him in the booth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rico said:

Joey says he is still having fun.  I do believe Cincy has an option for '24.  I hope the Reds can get him at a reduced rate so he can play for them well into his 40's.  And yes, there is a job waiting for him in the booth.

I don't know what his contract has done to the organization. I've heard fans here and elsewhere say it's tied $ up....but if the Reds truly are in rebuild mode you want a guy like that around to show the kids how to be a pro.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I don't know what his contract has done to the organization. I've heard fans here and elsewhere say it's tied $ up....but if the Reds truly are in rebuild mode you want a guy like that around to show the kids how to be a pro.

Yes, most would say Joey's contract is hurting the organization.  But he was under contract when Cincy signed Moose and Castellanos.  And let's not forget the Reds ponied up a measly 10 mil for Minor.  Each to their own I suppose.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I am hoping next year is his last with the Reds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I am hoping next year is his last with the Reds.

Could not disagree more.  Votto deserves to be a Red (at a reduced rate) when they are contenders again.  If in no other capacity than as a part time and/or platoon DH.

The man is an organizational treasure.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, rico said:

I am afraid Scott is voicing what some “RedsZoners” are saying.

Those RedZoners are a different breed,  That board and this one are totally different. This board (HSN) seems to be full of posters that it would be fun to grab a barstool and shoot the breeze with.  The RedZone crew seems to be a much less engaging crew.  A lot of the regulars come across as know-it-all types.    

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Those RedZoners are a different breed,  That board and this one are totally different. This board (HSN) seems to be full of posters that it would be fun to grab a barstool and shoot the breeze with.  The RedZone crew seems to be a much less engaging crew.  A lot of the regulars come across as know-it-all types.    

Never signed to post on their because most of them solely use advance metrics to back their opinions.

17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think you can find plenty of guys to play first base and hit .212 11hr and 41rbi and make less than $25 mil.

And, last season, het hit 36 homers, had 99 RBI's and an OPS+ of 138, all in only 129 games.  Which season is more indicative of who he has been for his career?  

Banning the shift next year could be significant for him as well.  

Sometimes even the greatest have down years and bounce back.

Try and guess who the following stat line belongs to.  The first column is age,  The other columns are fairly easy to figure out.  I blocked out the team information.

image.png.bb639a2e2ee2f00f6fd0e32318d18538.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Could not disagree more.  Votto deserves to be a Red (at a reduced rate) when they are contenders again.  If in no other capacity than as a part time and/or platoon DH.

The man is an organizational treasure.  

I am in no way saying David Ross is Joey Votto. We all know that. But Ross was the guy that Rizzo, Bryant, Schwarber, Baez, Addy....all sought out about things during the rise from 2015. Obviously Ross was much cheaper but I think a guy like Votto teach kids how to be a pro is so valuable. I'd find a spot for him all day long these next couple of years.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

And, last season, het hit 36 homers, had 99 RBI's and an OPS+ of 138, all in only 129 games.  Which season is more indicative of who he has been for his career?  

Banning the shift next year could be significant for him as well.  

Sometimes even the greatest have down years and bounce back.

Try and guess who the following stat line belongs to.  The first column is age,  The other columns are fairly easy to figure out.  I blocked out the team information.

image.png.bb639a2e2ee2f00f6fd0e32318d18538.png

You just can't let your fondness of players effect your judgement in making roster moves. Teams like the Reds have to be great at player development and scouting for the draft and for making trades.  Teams like TB, Clev., Twins and Oakland has had some success building their teams this way and it is the best way for the Reds. Like I have said before the Cardinals didn't sign Pulos to a long term contract and let him go and have done well.

41 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

What good is a 40 year old player who is barely hitting over .200.  If you are in a true rebuild then totally tear it down and that means getting Votto and Moose off the payroll. 

The Reds aren't in rebuild mode.  They are in cheap ass mode.

1 minute ago, rico said:

Yeah, guys that have 2100 hits are a dime a dozen.

What he did 5-10 years ago shouldn't effect the decision you make now that he is 40 years old.  Organizations like the Patriots let players go a year early than keeping them to lobg.  I can't imagine how you would have reacted if you were a Cardinals fan when they let Pulos walk.

1 minute ago, rico said:

The Reds aren't in rebuild mode.  They are in cheap ass mode.

Totally disagree because this is first time in a long time I actually see a good plan in place to build a solid roster.  What good is it to pay guys like Votto and Moose big money to finish in last place.  Two years ago they spent big money on Castellanos, Moose, Shogo and Miley and that got us 31-29 and 84-78 and got shutout in both playoff games.