2022 through 2065 MLB Seasons

5fouls

I always thought it was oddly coincidental how MLB expanded the playoffs immediately following the Red Sox going 7-20 in the month of September and missing the playoffs in 2011. 

While we're on the subject of collapsing, the Tigers being 3 games up on the Twins with 4 to play in 2009 and losing a tiebreaker game a few days later is one that still bugs me when I think about it. God, I hated those Twins teams in the 2000's. They'd do nothing for 4 months, then go berserk after the trade deadline and steal a division title just to get swept in the playoffs. 

Edited by TheWatShot

22 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Any updates on the boy from the Utah team

Nothing from the broadcast but I think he is no longer be sedated. Hagerstown was up 7-1 after 2 but now is 7-7 going to the 5th. Iowa SP didn't do well but the relief guy has struck out 7 of the 8 batters he has faced.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Why is he leaving in-season?  

He really didn't say... Or I didn't hear him say... He's 83, so I guess that's reason enough.

I watched the game. Blue Jays-Yankees from Yankee Stadium. Matt Vasgersian was his partner, but they brought in Costas (I think he was under quarantine for COVID) in via Zoom. He and Kaat had done a ton of games together, and are good friends. They let Costas do an inning and a half with Kaat. That was a nice touch... 

13 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Jim Kaat's last broadcast tonight... 83 years old, still as sharp as a tack and one of the best ever on the call...

I was watching at the end of the game plus he did an interview on MLB tonight afterwards.  He just think it is time for him to move on because he doesn't feel he relates to the younger fans and players.  He definitely not andan of using analytics during the game.

David Bell just has no clue how to run a bullpen and it cost the Reds another game tonight. Ashcraft was so dominate for 5 innings having shutout the Pirates on 53 pitches. He gave up a run on a wild pitch in the 6th and in the 7th a run on a sac fly Bell took him out with two outs in the 7th with two on base.  They brought in Diaz who is their best reliever and he is now the closer and gave up the tying run. Reds scored in the 8th and still led in the 9th and had to bring in Kuehnel to close and he couldn't get the job done and then brought in Detwiller who gave up the winning hit.

Edited by IU Scott

10 hours ago, IU Scott said:

David Bell just has no clue how to run a bullpen and it cost the Reds another game tonight. Ashcraft was so dominate for 5 innings having shutout the Pirates on 53 pitches. He gave up a run on a wild pitch in the 6th and in the 7th a run on a sac fly Bell took him out with two outs in the 7th with two on base.  They brought in Diaz who is their best reliever and he is now the closer and gave up the tying run. Reds scored in the 8th and still led in the 9th and had to bring in Kuehnel to close and he couldn't get the job done and then brought in Detwiller who gave up the winning hit.

Bell doesn’t believe in having a traditional closer and this thought process has never worked for him