2022 through 2065 MLB Seasons

5fouls

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Yankees just intentionally walked Miggy with runners on 2nd and 3rd in what will likely be his last at bat of the game.  The Tigers had bases loaded and nobody out when the guy hitting in front of Cabrerra grounds into a 1-2-3 double play, which left 1st open. Right before that I was sitting there thinking to myself, as long as this dude doesn't do something to leave 1st base open, they will have to give him something to hit. 

Little consolation to people that just had tickets for today's game, but at least Detroit is home over the weekend so he should get the hit in Detroit.  That would have really sucked if they were heading out on a road trip after today.  

As a Tigers fan, that outcome was entirely too predictable. I don't expect this team to contend for anything, but it would nice if they could figure out how to hit. 36 runs in 12 games so far, and only 3 games with more than 3 runs. 

I've always liked Cabrera, even though he's had a tendency to be lazy and a bit of a showboat during games. 

With the emphasis on power, the concept of a player getting 3,000 hits will become increasingly rare.  After Cabrerra gets there at some point this weekend, none of the players with at least 2,000 hits has a realistic shot to get there.  Even with the universal DH adding a couple of years to some careers, I can only find 4 guys on the list below that even have an outside shot based on age and distance to 3,000.   

Altuve

Freeman

Machado

Trout

And, even among that group, Altuve doesn't project to be a DH type of guy, Freeman will likely become a platoon player later in his career, and Trout can't stay healthy.  Machado probably has the best profile.  

image.png.fdde536f49d84edafccfa9461e7c51ad.png

• Like 1

So a funny exchange between Phil Cuzzi and a Marlins player named Jazz Chisholm in their game against the Cardinals...

Cuzzi called the first 2 pitches to Chisholm strikes, which, according to the outlined strike zone, they certainly were...Jazz complained about both. So while Chisholm is standing just outside the box, Cuzzi is saying, "let's go" and imploring the pitcher (Brooks) to throw it...Yadi Molina is begging the pitcher to throw it because he knows Cuzzi is pissed, and anything between the two dugouts is gonna get called a strike...

But Brooks waits til Jazz is ready, hangs a slider (on an 0-2 pitch!), and Jazz deposits it in the bullpen in right center...then gives Cuzzi a ration of crap as he crosses home plate...

God, I love baseball...

BTW, there are about 100 people at the game, and 85 of em are Cardinal fans...that team needs to move...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 5fouls said:

With the emphasis on power, the concept of a player getting 3,000 hits will become increasingly rare.  After Cabrerra gets there at some point this weekend, none of the players with at least 2,000 hits has a realistic shot to get there.  Even with the universal DH adding a couple of years to some careers, I can only find 4 guys on the list below that even have an outside shot based on age and distance to 3,000.   

Altuve

Freeman

Machado

Trout

And, even among that group, Altuve doesn't project to be a DH type of guy, Freeman will likely become a platoon player later in his career, and Trout can't stay healthy.  Machado probably has the best profile.  

image.png.fdde536f49d84edafccfa9461e7c51ad.png

Carlos Santana?

Mendoza Line Membership Watch

Last Week:  56 Members

This Week: 54 Members

Overall, membership remains strong.  Several veteran stars, such as Joey Votto, Paul Goldschmidt, Jose Altuve, Kyle Schwarber, Mookie Betts, Josh Donaldson and Christian Yelitch are giving the club a trial run.  It seems some of them are really enjoying what the club has to offer and may stick around for a while, if not the whole season.

Last week's Chairman of the Board, Austin Hedges, was removed from his post for not showing up enough to fulfill his duties (not enough plate appearances).  As a result, Kansas City first baseman Carlos Santana has taken over the role of Chairman based on his .069 average.   We'll have to wait and see how long Santana is committed to the position.  Rumor has it he may have a music career on the side that could take away from his Mendoza duties.

Edited by 5fouls

25 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Watch this...Jazz is a hot dog, but hot dogs and baseball go together, right? And watch Molina frantically trying to get his dumbshitzz pitcher to throw the friggin ball...

I had the game on.  Was paying about 25% attention.  I looked at the TV right when the pitch was thrown, so I had no context at the time what they were talking about as he rounded the bases.  

Fun stuff.  And, the Cards lost, which is a bonus.  

• Like 1

I am going to be on my soap box again.  Flipping through the radio on my way home and heard the worst talk show ever. The two on their should not have a show and can only listen to a couple of minutes before turning the show off.  It is in CBS radio and don't know who they are but the guy on their is just not bright.

They were talking about Miguel Cabrera getting 3000 hits.  This guy said this thing is overrated and hits don't matter in baseball and my head almost exploded.  Also said RBI are not important as well which is just is mind blowing.  I thought the object of the game is to score runs but today people wants to over complicate sports.  The object is to score more points than your opponent scores.  In baseball to score runs you have to usually get a hit to drive in runs.  Everything is just about OBP over actually being productive at bats.  Say you have a guy on second and two outs and you have your best player up. I want him to get a hit and drive in the run over getting a walk.  What good is it to get that walk if the next guy makes an out.

Just now, IU Scott said:

I am going to be on my soap box again.  Flipping through the radio on my way home and heard the worst talk show ever. The two on their should not have a show and can only listen to a couple of minutes before turning the show off.  It is in CBS radio and don't know who they are but the guy on their is just not bright.

They were talking about Miguel Cabrera getting 3000 hits.  This guy said this thing is overrated and hits don't matter in baseball and my head almost exploded.  Also said RBI are not important as well which is just is mind blowing.  I thought the object of the game is to score runs but today people wants to over complicate sports.  The object is to score more points than your opponent scores.  In baseball to score runs you have to usually get a hit to drive in runs.  Everything is just about OBP over actually being productive at bats.  Say you have a guy on second and two outs and you have your best player up. I want him to get a hit and drive in the run over getting a walk.  What good is it to get that walk if the next guy makes an out.

I then turned it back to JMV and he had Heath Bell on the show.  He was a former reliever who had over 40 saved in three different years.  He was on the other spectrum where he is against a lot of how the game is today.  He thinks players are just robots out there and have to be told where to position themselves.  Talked about how each player has those cheat sheets to tell them what to do.  He talked about how players are not baseball savy any longer because they can't bethink the game for themselves.

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I then turned it back to JMV and he had Heath Bell on the show.  He was a former reliever who had over 40 saved in three different years.  He was on the other spectrum where he is against a lot of how the game is today.  He thinks players are just robots out there and have to be told where to position themselves.  Talked about how each player has those cheat sheets to tell them what to do.  He talked about how players are not baseball savy any longer because they can't bethink the game for themselves.

I saw a play the other night...runners on first and third...guy on first starts to go, and catcher goes to second...second baseman catches it, turns full toward the runner coming from first and starts running him back...the runner from third breaks, but the second baseman continues chasing the runner back to first, and dives and upends his own first baseman...both runners safe...

I knew what to do in that situation when I was 10...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Reds lose 4-2 to the Cardinals for their 10th loss in a row.

I'm just going back a couple of decades but Tigers had 43 wins in 2003 as one of the worst teams ever. Given the roster Castellini gave you guys I think 50 wins is a stretch.

Such a shame. Team was strong and ready to contend last year. They dismantle it and blame on baseball economics. What happens when average attendance at Cincy is only 10k all summer?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm just going back a couple of decades but Tigers had 43 wins in 2003 as one of the worst teams ever. Given the roster Castellini gave you guys I think 50 wins is a stretch.

Such a shame. Team was strong and ready to contend last year. They dismantle it and blame on baseball economics. What happens when average attendance at Cincy is only 10k all summer?

Right now the Reds had 12 players on the DL so hopefully when guys like Castello, India,. Naquin and Stephenson comes back they will he better.