IU @ MN post game thread.

Zlinedavid

32 minutes ago, btownqb said:

If UNCA isn't canceled and no suspended players at NW..   we're 20-9. 

Pretty difficult to complain about much last night, we controlled the entire game. 

If we can just get one more regular season win (and hopefully a BTT win) to get in to the tournament and get a little momentum for the program for the first time in a while...

We can call this our "lose close" year and hopefully next year the five or six games we all know we should have won (Both Wisconsin games, At Ohio State, At Penn State, at Northwestern, at Syracuse) will turn in to more wins and we will be a top three or four seed in the tournament. 

I appreciated how Woody mixed up the play calls last night so that each person on the floor (among the starters) were having their number called at various times. 

Was great to see Rob come in with a willingness to shoot and knock down a couple of threes. Will need to play he and X together some on Wednesday to match up better...

• Like 4

They got the W. They looked very sharp for a lot of the game. Another collapse of a large lead. This team is clinging to tournament life and 28 games in I don't see a lot of big changes coming to how they play.

It may be the most we can hope for at this point is they get healthy and one or two guys start figuring it out. Bates and Geronimo were positives last night combining for 15 points, 6 rebounds and ZERO turnovers in 26 minutes. If they can continue to play at that type of level it really helps. 

TJD has to figure out a way to get more done on offense and on the glass. Understanding teams are doubling it's going to take him being more active around the rim to get some put backs. Outside of the 30 points against Wis on 2/15, he hasn't scored 20 points or more since he put up 23 against Nebraska on 1/17. He's also put up double digit rebounds twice over that same time. It is asking a lot but for this team to be successful he has to show up every game in a big way.

While TJD seems to be slowing down XJ seems to be taking off but you really have to look at the numbers. Yes, his points are going up but so are his shot attempts. His actual shooting percentage has not been great outside of his 7 for 7 against Maryland the game before. When you look closer he is still turning it over at a high rate (last night excluded) but the big improvement is the number of times he gets to the FT line - and he is hitting them.

Overall, this team seems to be the same roller coaster we've watched all season. Good enough to challenge really good teams but bad enough to lose most of those challenges. Good enough to easily beat average/poor teams, but also bad enough to inexplicably lose some of those games. 

Looking at the B1G they are right where you would expect a team like that to be right now. The are 9-9 with two to go. The season hanging in the balance in a conference where you win one and lose one in a week, and the team that goes on a modest 3 to 4 game win streak ends up as the regular season champs. 

One more positive - they are likely top 10 in conference so they won't have to play day one of the conf tournament.

• Like 3

Just noticed in box score all 5 starters with 30+ minutes. Don't recall the last time that happened or allowed to happen because we weren't in foul trouble. 

Saw some really nice glimpses of our future offense last night. Amazing what knocking down a few 3's does to the flow of things. Only 10 TO's was a bright spot.

Needless to say. Last home game on Wednesday (we hope). Really tip the cap again to Xavier. I know early this year he was the target of so many, had a couple tough stretches but he really is our gas pedal and even more you can see the development by our staff in season before our very eyes.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, mchenry34 said:

Will need to play he and X together some on Wednesday to match up better...

I think that may be right but I'm wondering how the matchups are going to work out...

Rutgers only starts one guy over 6'7 (Omoyuri) but their shortest guy is 6'4 (Baker)

I think XJ starts on Baker, and Stewart on Mulcahy...with Kopp drawing either McConnell or Harper (both tough matchups for him) and Race getting the other...

We put Rob and XJ out there together, whichever one guards Mulcahy will get posted up. That's what they've done every time I've watched them and a smaller guard has taken Mulcahy on...

I think Geronimo will get some time simply because Ron Harper Jr is made for him to guard...

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Was my wife’s birthday last night, so we were out at dinner, but I taped the game AND am actually going to be able to watch it tonight. Haven’t read anything in depth about it, but sounds like it was a wild one. Always less stressful when you know the outcome though!

Back in 1993, IU was playing a key game against Michigan the same night as Wife #3's birthday.  I gave her $20, a Red Lobster coupon, and let her know I would be available after the game if she wanted to celebrate both her birthday and an IU win.,

She never came home.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 2
  • Haha 7
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Just noticed in box score all 5 starters with 30+ minutes. Don't recall the last time that happened or allowed to happen because we weren't in foul trouble. 

Saw some really nice glimpses of our future offense last night. Amazing what knocking down a few 3's does to the flow of things. Only 10 TO's was a bright spot.

Needless to say. Last home game on Wednesday (we hope). Really tip the cap again to Xavier. I know early this year he was the target of so many, had a couple tough stretches but he really is our gas pedal and even more you can see the development by our staff in season before our very eyes.

That jumped out to me too.  I think with TG and a healthy Rob - it’d obviously be different.   And agree on X!  

It’s a one game season now.  They put themselves in position.  Home game.   Need a FULL 40.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

They got the W. They looked very sharp for a lot of the game. Another collapse of a large lead. This team is clinging to tournament life and 28 games in I don't see a lot of big changes coming to how they play.

It may be the most we can hope for at this point is they get healthy and one or two guys start figuring it out. Bates and Geronimo were positives last night combining for 15 points, 6 rebounds and ZERO turnovers in 26 minutes. If they can continue to play at that type of level it really helps. 

TJD has to figure out a way to get more done on offense and on the glass. Understanding teams are doubling it's going to take him being more active around the rim to get some put backs. Outside of the 30 points against Wis on 2/15, he hasn't scored 20 points or more since he put up 23 against Nebraska on 1/17. He's also put up double digit rebounds twice over that same time. It is asking a lot but for this team to be successful he has to show up every game in a big way.

While TJD seems to be slowing down XJ seems to be taking off but you really have to look at the numbers. Yes, his points are going up but so are his shot attempts. His actual shooting percentage has not been great outside of his 7 for 7 against Maryland the game before. When you look closer he is still turning it over at a high rate (last night excluded) but the big improvement is the number of times he gets to the FT line - and he is hitting them.

Overall, this team seems to be the same roller coaster we've watched all season. Good enough to challenge really good teams but bad enough to lose most of those challenges. Good enough to easily beat average/poor teams, but also bad enough to inexplicably lose some of those games. 

Looking at the B1G they are right where you would expect a team like that to be right now. The are 9-9 with two to go. The season hanging in the balance in a conference where you win one and lose one in a week, and the team that goes on a modest 3 to 4 game win streak ends up as the regular season champs. 

One more positive - they are likely top 10 in conference so they won't have to play day one of the conf tournament.

Can't be a collapse if we win, right? 

To the bolded statement that I made larger: You aren't seeing that we are trying to play a more perimeter oriented game offensively, currently? We scored 84 pts last night and we didn't just have one massive half and then a crap one. We had two REALLY good halves offensively. 84 is the most we've put up in the conference all year and it was on the road. 

We only had 10TOs, we hit 10 3s at over a 45% clip, we hit FTs reasonably well, they only had 4 Orebs, and in general they didn't get good looks. We played WELL last night. 

"TJD needs to get more done offensively and on the glass" He scored 14p on 7 shots and had 8 rebounds... what more does he need to do? 14p 8r 3a 2s 2b is a great game, he was in the flow of the offense the entire game. We aren't a poor rebounding team, so I don't understand why HE needs to be rebounding better. He is hands down our best rebounder. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think that may be right but I'm wondering how the matchups are going to work out...

Rutgers only starts one guy over 6'7 (Omoyuri) but their shortest guy is 6'4 (Baker)

I think XJ starts on Baker, and Stewart on Mulcahy...with Kopp drawing either McConnell or Harper (both tough matchups for him) and Race getting the other...

We put Rob and XJ out there together, whichever one guards Mulcahy will get posted up. That's what they've done every time I've watched them and a smaller guard has taken Mulcahy on...

I think Geronimo will get some time simply because Ron Harper Jr is made for him to guard...

One other in season development that's taken place. I don't know any official numbers but whenever Jordan Geronimo is in I feel like he's good for 2-3 key rebounds and 2 put back dunks out of nowhere. If he can spend this off season shooting a 1000 3's a day....another key cog for the future.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

One other in season development that's taken place. I don't know any official numbers but whenever Jordan Geronimo is in I feel like he's good for 2-3 key rebounds and 2 put back dunks out of nowhere. If he can spend this off season shooting a 1000 3's a day....another key cog for the future.

I think a true spot up open 3... I think that is in his game, currently. Anything off the bounce/any counter move he has to make/if that 3 point isn't wide open is when he struggles... or if he has to make a decision offensively. We don't want him thinking.... just playing haha! 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Really tip the cap again to Xavier. I know early this year he was the target of so many, had a couple tough stretches but he really is our gas pedal

He was on the climb before the suspension I thought...that set him back a bit, but now he's back on the rise...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I think a true spot up open 3... I think that is in his game, currently. Anything off the bounce/any counter move he has to make/if that 3 point isn't wide open is when he struggles... or if he has to make a decision offensively. We don't want him thinking.... just playing haha! 

So true....and that's what can happen in the off season. Put up so many reps that it's all muscle memory. Don't think just play is exactly right! Nuke LaLoosh like.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

If Geronimo can just get to where OG was as a freshman next year that would be huge. 

• Like 1

Just now, NotIThatLives said:

Fatts Russell had him a week too.  27 last week as they smashed #10 ohio st.  He also kept Maryland in the game against us with 23.  

I would hope us beating Maryland would trump what he did. But, yes, obviously he had a very good week, as well.

XJ 24p 7a 3.5r 7/9 from 3, 14/23 FGs and 2 wins 

Russell 25p 2a 2r 11/19 from 3, 18-50 FGs and 1 win 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

If we had finished all those games plus that one, oh boy, what could have been...

23-5 (14-4) presumably in first place

http://bball.notnothing.net/bracket.php?conf=big10m

Changing the 5 did have us in 1st place at 14-4 but the link doesn't carry over the info I changed. 

Edited by cybergates
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

Can't be a collapse if we win, right? 

To the bolded statement that I made larger: You aren't seeing that we are trying to play a more perimeter oriented game offensively, currently? We scored 84 pts last night and we didn't just have one massive half and then a crap one. We had two REALLY good halves offensively. 84 is the most we've put up in the conference all year and it was on the road. 

We only had 10TOs, we hit 10 3s at over a 45% clip, we hit FTs reasonably well, they only had 4 Orebs, and in general they didn't get good looks. We played WELL last night. 

"TJD needs to get more done offensively and on the glass" He scored 14p on 7 shots and had 8 rebounds... what more does he need to do? 14p 8r 3a 2s 2b is a great game, he was in the flow of the offense the entire game. We aren't a poor rebounding team, so I don't understand why HE needs to be rebounding better. He is hands down our best rebounder. 

Well said....Also, we need to give Minnesota credit too. They did everything they had to do to cut into that deficit. I know exactly why Coach Woodson was mad at Rob for taking that last, quick 3. We were up 25+ and didn't need 3's, especially that early, with that much time on the possession clock. We needed to slow the game down and look for the best high percentage shot available, deep into the possession. It takes one quick outlet pass, after a missed 3, for an open 3 on the other end to build confidence. The game flipped momentum immediately after Rob's missed 3. I  loved that he didn't call time out during Minnesota's run. That's exactly what coach Knight would have done. Coach Woodson wanted his players to fight through and figure it out. Again, Woodson showed confidence in his players that they could weather the storm. It also let the players know he had faith in them. 

Edited by Artesian_86
  • Like 3