Rutgers pre game -Senior Night

Hoosierfan1901

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

This isn't a bad thing, at all. 

For sure, if you could get him up around 6 figures if he stayed, that makes staying one more year to work on draft position more attractive.  How often is it that a guy goes to Europe or the developmental league and ends up in the NBA?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

For sure, if you could get him up around 6 figures if he stayed, that makes staying one more year to work on draft position more attractive.  How often is it that a guy goes to Europe or the developmental league and ends up in the NBA?

I have no clue. But, the NBA isn't always the only goal. Big money in Europe if they want it. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Would be nice if we could avoid losing both Race and TJD next year.  If Trayce were to leave, Race would be a nice guy to still have in there.

Agreed. If I had my preference, it would probably be for Race to return, since he's able to open the offense a little more with his (improving) outside shooting, but losing both would be pretty rough for our interior defense and rebounding. 

21 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Agreed. If I had my preference, it would probably be for Race to return, since he's able to open the offense a little more with his (improving) outside shooting, but losing both would be pretty rough for our interior defense and rebounding. 

The defensive end will hurt the worse loosing both. A guard heavy offensive will open up driving lanes. Geronimo can score 10 to 12 points on good cuts off of drives and offensive rebounds

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

If he wants to play in the NBA, he should stay in the US. Hopefully we have our NIL situation figure out so that Trayce will make more money at IU than the D-League. If he wants to go to Europe, I would assume he could get into one of the top leagues and be comfortably into 6-figures. We probably won't be able to beat that, but if he goes, I think there's very little chance he ever puts on an NBA uniform. So, it's a question if he's willing to give up that dream.

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

If true, why would TJD sign an NIL deal if he wasn't coming back. No need for NIL procedure if he's leaving for the pros.

Seems like a pretty good signal to me, that the odds are he could be (not 100%) be back. (esp if Race actually leaves). If Woody can get a Hulk Hogan type guy in the portal to play the 5, TJD could very well be a good 4, and develop that outside shot.

(I know....a long list of "ifs".)

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, DWB said:

If true, why would TJD sign an NIL deal if he wasn't coming back. No need for NIL procedure if he's leaving for the pros.

Seems like a pretty good signal to me, that the odds are he could be (not 100%) be back. (esp if Race actually leaves). If Woody can get a Hulk Hogan type guy in the portal to play the 5, TJD could very well be a good 4, and develop that outside shot.

Depends on the details of the deal. It could be a 3-month campaign to help promote the 500. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Depends on the details of the deal. It could be a 3-month campaign to help promote the 500. 

Yeah.  I'm kinda thinking this has a tie-in to the 500.  It's about the only thing Pennzoil would need a Hoosier basketball player for.  

24 minutes ago, DWB said:

I would be thrilled to have him back but have absolutely no interest in seeing him play the 4. 

• Like 1

Just now, SawatchHoosier said:

Does this mean I'll get to see TJD driving an Indy Car around the speedway this summer. 

Yes, in fact... I think he is going to grad transfer to Penske this summer. That's the rumor. He will in fact be the tallest IndyCar driver in history. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

We shouldn't be asking all of our players back next year, regardless of which ones decide they want to move on. If the players want paid because the lack of NIL was SO unfair, then this whole thing should be treated much more like a business. Coaches should be able to do what they wish with their roster. JMHO 

i couldn't agree more.  I believe we need three spots for our freshmen as it is, and I would love to see us get another freshman and 2+ transfers.

We could use (a) either Foumena or a transfer big with length and who can step out and spread the floor (you can see that's something Woody really wants to do), but also (b) a wing who can go get a bucket and defend a guy effectively off the bounce.  We are a different team if we make additions like that.

I happened to catch some of an Indiana State-Northern Iowa game.  I should have turned away but somehow kept lingering with it.  There were two players who I believe could play for us.  Cameron Henry for ISU is a 6'6 wing, who is extremely versatile.  Can get boards, defend different positions, shoot, but he has a phenomenal handle, which means he can go off the bounce and go get buckets.  He is a good player.  Northern Iowa has a wing in AJ Green who is a scorer.  Very good at getting the ball in the basket but probably not the complete game Henry has.  The point isn't can we get those two guys.  Who knows if they would even transfer.  But dollars to doughnuts there are going to be a number of guys like that in the portal, because there is no way some random mid-major game I saw is going to be it.

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

Ok  I am hyper because this is my third straight post.  Caffeine, I guess.

I hate to be the eternal optimist, and I am not promising anything, of course.  But it is within range of possibilities that we surge into the end of the season.  

We have had a year of growth as a unit and alot of the mistakes from before might get resolved.  We start four seniors and a heavily experienced junior.  These guys have played a ton of college basketball.  Our bench guys are finding their roles.

Most importantly, the defense is elite (I'd call first in the conference elite) and the offense against Minnesota showed a lot of growth.  It's not that we hit shots.  It's that we spread the floor and spread the shots across the unit.  Kopp had double figures and I would like to see more of that.  It has never been that he can't do it.  It's that he hasn't gotten enough shots.  Stewart can hit too if he can get his shot off.  

I like that we diversified from over-relying on TJD.  We have some guys who can hit some shots and I would like to see us trust that, and continue it.  If these things continue to click, we can be a solid team as we approach post-season play.  Unfortunately, we put ourselves into a position where we have to win some tough matchups against rugged teams to even get in, but as Woody says, we control our own destiny.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 5

17 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

i couldn't agree more.  I believe we need three spots for our freshmen as it is, and I would love to see us get another freshman and 2+ transfers.

That's 6 guys that have to leave to open those spots, right? Who are you taking away from this current group to do that? I'd say Stewart, Kopp, and one or both of TJD/Race are kind of obvious, but that leaves at least 1 and possibly 2 others that would have to go.