Rutgers pre game -Senior Night

Hoosierfan1901

3 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I definitely hear you.  But from earlier posts I think we aren't on the same page.  I don't think our talent level is there and we need to get a lot better.  Our 9-9 record, with a ton of missed opportunities and the lack of closers late in games--especially wing players--reflects that.  If you scout Indiana, you know exactly where we falter.  It's the easiest scouting proposition you can find.  There is no point in hiding from that. 

I want to see us upgrade our talent level with immediate contributors.  Continuity with .500 guys doesn't do anything for me.  I want better talent and I am not in favor of continuing the status quo of slowly building as we have done for a decade +, which has demonstrated lackluster results.   In this era of college basketball, it's eat or be eaten in the portal.  I feel strongly about this as I am sure you feel strongly about continuity.  That's fine, that's what makes a message board.  

Here’s the thing - what this team is missing can essentially be fixed with one player. Add a Jaden Ivey, a Johnny Davis, or possibly even a Ron Harper to this current team, and they’re likely in the running for a title. There is also value in continuity in these guys going through difficult times together and the bonds that are built through adversity. 

Do we need more talent, particularly on the wing? Absolutely. But, turning over half the roster for potentially better talent and sacrificing familiarity with the system, the coaching staff, teammates, and even minor things like experience playing in SSAH seems like at best a zero sum gain. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Do we need more talent, particularly on the wing? Absolutely. But, turning over half the roster for potentially better talent and sacrificing familiarity with the system, the coaching staff, teammates, and even minor things like experience playing in SSAH seems like at best a zero sum gain. 

Whether we barely make it into the tournament, or barely miss out, the goal for next season should be to comfortably be in the tournament.  If we return most of our rotation guys plus the incoming freshman, will the team be in position to make forward progress next season?  A lot of things will have to go right.  Our collapses at the end of games have a lot to do with fatigue, in my opinion.  We lack the quality depth to adequately rest our best guys enough to be able to compete at the end of games.  Part of that was due to injuries.  Phinisee and Galloway have missed significant time and we've only had them together for 10 games.  We are 8-2 in games where both are active(two of the games were cupcakes and 2 were wins against PU and OSU) and 10-8 with just one or neither active (5 of those were cupcakes).  Those two are generally our 1st and 2nd guys off the bench and have also been on the court to close games out.  We need a roster with enough quality depth to sustain losing a rotation player or two for significant time. 

3 guys will have to move on in order for there to be room for the incoming class.  Depending on who leaves,  we may have 3-4 guys who aren't quite ready for significant minutes against Big Ten competition unless some of our end of the bench guys get significantly better over the summer or a couple of the incoming freshman are ready from day one.  On top of that we have to stay healthy. Like I said a lot has to go right for us to take a step forward, if we are basically running it back.

17 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

I had hoped Logan could contribute, but now I think he's a better fit for...maybe UC or X...or NKU.  He obviously hasn't shown much in practice, I would guess.

Isnt X a top 25 program????  How could he be a better fit there?  If he's good enough to get on the floor there, then not sure how he wouldnt be good enough to play for us once there isnt an AA playing in front of him. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Big game tonight, gotta have it. We need urgency from the crowd, the players, the coaches... this is March, let's make it happen! 

Big game for a ton of reasons! 

One kind of under the radar is that a win tonight guarantees 12 is the most losses IU can have after the BTT. 

It also gives Rutgers their 13th loss and unless they went on a wild ride in the BTT, it ensures they'll have at least 14 losses. So essentially we eliminate Rutgers from the bubble with a win. 

Michigan also already has 12 losses with 2 more regular season games to go and the BTT. 

I know the committee doesn't specifically look at conference teams head-to-head, but we also know most bracketologists have IU, Rutgers and Michigan lumped pretty close together, and that it's tough for teams to make it with 13 losses. 

We do ourselves a ton of favors tonight with a win. 

• Like 9

33 minutes ago, 3Ballin said:

Isnt X a top 25 program????  How could he be a better fit there?  If he's good enough to get on the floor there, then not sure how he wouldnt be good enough to play for us once there isnt an AA playing in front of him. 

I assume he is referring to the fact that B1G play is more physical for big guys than those Conferences but i may be putting words in his mouth.  We tend to think the B1G the hardest conference to play in due to the Physicality of play

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I assume he is referring to the fact that B1G play is more physical for big guys than those Conferences but i may be putting words in his mouth.  We tend to think the B1G the hardest conference to play in due to the Physicality of play

That's fair. 

1 hour ago, 3Ballin said:

What is puzzling to me.... why would this season lead anyone to believe he can't play? We haven't seen him play to know. 

We don't really have a need for him to play right now. We have two All-B1G guys down low. I didn't really think he would play many meaningful mins this season. Maybe he will transfer, I have no clue. Just saying we as fans have no clue what kind of player he is. 

• Like 6

22 hours ago, 5fouls said:

More likely.  It makes him the primary inside scoring threat and opens the offense up.

I honestly think Race has a brighter future in the pros than Trayce does.  

]Neither will make an NBA team. Both have bright futures as Pro's, just not in this country.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mike said:

Trayce,Race,Lander ,Stewart ,Kopp.Those will be the one's leaving.

why? I can see TJD because he thinks he is better than what he is. Maybe Lander because of PT. Stewart and Kopp have transfers under their belts already. They arent pro's, so they just give up playing? I guess Race could go pro over seas. I dont see a transfer from him.

1 hour ago, 3Ballin said:

I'm not sure they are right now.  But there's got to be a reason he's not making it to the floor.  I don't believe he fits Woodson's vision for what he sees as IU's future.  I hope I'm wrong.  Does he still qualify for a redshirt?  I'd be happy with that.  Obviously, he hasn't impressed the coaching staff to the point of getting playing time.

Edited by jv1972iu

12 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

I'm not sure they are right now.  But there's got to be a reason he's not making it to the floor.  I don't believe he fits Woodson's vision for what he sees as IU's future.  I hope I'm wrong.  Does he still qualify for a redshirt?  I'd be happy with that.  Obviously, he hasn't impressed the coaching staff to the point of getting playing time.

I don't see that that opportunity has presented itself. We aren't lacking at the positions he plays. 

Edited by btownqb

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I don't see that that opportunity has presented itself, at all.  We aren't lacking at the positions he plays. 

LD is option number five as a post player, number three center so you are right...for him depth is a problem because there's a lot of it right now. In the approx. 4 seconds of game time he has this year, I can see him fitting quite well with what CMW has said he wants to do with a 4 out 1 in offense. If he can step away from the basket, 10-12 ft range and force bigs to guard him that will open up lanes for our guards and the play making wing we dont have at the moment. All of that of course depends on if he plays defense like Race or James Blackmon Jr.  🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, 3Ballin said:

LD is option number five as a post player, number three center so you are right...for him depth is a problem because there's a lot of it right now. In the approx. 4 seconds of game time he has this year, I can see him fitting quite well with what CMW has said he wants to do with a 4 out 1 in offense. If he can step away from the basket, 10-12 ft range and force bigs to guard him that will open up lanes for our guards and the play making wing we dont have at the moment. All of that of course depends on if he plays defense like Race or James Blackmon Jr.  🤷‍♂️

Last post I'm making on LD. 

JMO

With Archie our player development was just a joke.  Look how much TJD and RT have improved since last season. Wow, massive jumps.  Anyways, if our player development is as good as we think it will be.... we have no clue how much these kids can grow. I think we've forgotten that as a fanbase, and understandably so. 

Go Hoosiers! 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

What is puzzling to me.... why would this season lead anyone to believe he can't play? We haven't seen him play to know. 

We don't really have a need for him to play right now. We have two All-B1G guys down low. I didn't really think he would play many meaningful mins this season. Maybe he will transfer, I have no clue. Just saying we as fans have no clue what kind of player he is. 

He has a nice stroke on his shot. Big's typically take awhile to mature and grow into their game. I thought once Durr was signed he was an immediate redshirt candidate from the start. Playing behind TJD, Race, Durr, and Geronimo just wasn't going to leave anything but mop up minutes for him.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, dgambill said:

He has a nice stroke on his shot. Big's typically take awhile to mature and grow into their game. I thought once Durr was signed he was an immediate redshirt candidate from the start. Playing behind TJD, Race, Durr, and Geronimo just wasn't going to leave anything but mop up minutes for him.

Right! I know Race isn't a perfect example because they have somewhat different games and Race had injuries, but look how long Race took to become the guy he is today.

I think we have grown accustomed to big like Cody, Vonleh, Bryant, and now TJD who are impact players from Day 1 and don't realize that is far from the norm for bigs. 

• Like 2

2 teams playing for their tournament lives. It comes down as most do to execution. I hate to simplify things but tonight the Hoosiers go as Xavier goes. If he plays the way he has the past 2 games and the way he did about a month or so ago, we win this win. I think it will ve a close game and our defense is much better than theirs so it comes down to which team just makes a play. I am excited but also nervous. We have the better team, playing at home I expect a win!!

• Like 3