Coaching Change

3 hours ago, Southern IN Hoosier said:

I know we have covered about every scenario on which players may or may not leave, but does anyone think we will have any coaches leave?

To early to say. There’s a lot of things that need to play out. If Hunter gets a head coaching opportunity it’s possible. Ya could go to UL if Payne takes that job but who knows. That’s speculation by everyone that says it. People on Peegs keep talking about Fife leaving because he and Woody don’t get along supposedly. I think that’s all exaggeration and as a head coach you want guys that are supportive of the program and aren’t yes men. If you’re a coach that wants yes men then you’ve got a problem. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

People on Peegs keep talking about Fife leaving because he and Woody don’t get along supposedly.

We have a lot of fans that are very gullible. 

Just because someone has had inside information at some point doesn't mean they have it for perpetuity, and doesn't mean they have it about every possible IU basketball topic. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

To early to say. There’s a lot of things that need to play out. If Hunter gets a head coaching opportunity it’s possible. Ya could go to UL if Payne takes that job but who knows. That’s speculation by everyone that says it. People on Peegs keep talking about Fife leaving because he and Woody don’t get along supposedly. I think that’s all exaggeration and as a head coach you want guys that are supportive of the program and aren’t yes men. If you’re a coach that wants yes men then you’ve got a problem. 

15 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

We have a lot of fans that are very gullible. 

Just because someone has had inside information at some point doesn't mean they have it for perpetuity, and doesn't mean they have it about every possible IU basketball topic. 

...and we had another poster who said Woody and Fife are regularly seen out eating together.  That's not something you do when you're not getting along.🙄

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

...and we had another poster who said Woody and Fife are regularly seen out eating together.  That's not something you do when you're not getting along.🙄

I know 😂. I just find it funny how people start saying things about assistant coaches when they really don’t have a clue.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I’ve been at the last two home games, and Fife was the most involved of all the assistants. 

I legitimately think this rumor was started because Fife doesn't sit directly with the other assistants all game. Or didn't in the beginning and middle of the season. It looked to me like the plan was for the other two assts to be helping Woodson more and Fife relaying information/working with younger kids on the bench. That's just what I felt like was going on when I was at a game this year. Could be wrong though. 

• Like 2

Nothing about this season has me thinking that other schools will be falling over themselves to land one of our assistant coaches. Woodson also doesn't seem to like to change lineups or strategies so there is no reason to think that he'd look to change assistants.

3 hours ago, go_iu_bb said:

Nothing about this season has me thinking that other schools will be falling over themselves to land one of our assistant coaches. Woodson also doesn't seem to like to change lineups or strategies so there is no reason to think that he'd look to change assistants.

It's more what players an assistant can bring with them then bench coaching. Most teams have a head assistant that assists with in game coaching or strategy etc....the other assistants are basically there to help teach and work with the the kids but mostly there to recruit. If they have some big names to their list...they might get poached to bring them with them.

3 hours ago, go_iu_bb said:

I’d think a lot of high schools would want guys who can coach 32 minutes of winning basketball 

• Haha 6

8 hours ago, btownqb said:

I legitimately think this rumor was started because Fife doesn't sit directly with the other assistants all game. Or didn't in the beginning and middle of the season. It looked to me like the plan was for the other two assts to be helping Woodson more and Fife relaying information/working with younger kids on the bench. That's just what I felt like was going on when I was at a game this year. Could be wrong though. 

When he was at MSU he sat with the players and well.  I think Izzo had his coaches sit between the players.

40 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

When he was at MSU he sat with the players and well.  I think Izzo had his coaches sit between the players.

Sometimes the best coach is the one who can relate what the coach is trying to teach but is too HOT in the moment to convey. I can imagine Izzo and Woody can be very demanding and get pretty heated but Fife is able to take what he is saying and then relay that to the guys in an instructional way while coach is continuing to focus on coaching. Not necessarily the good guy but the guy that can flesh it out what Woody is trying to accomplish or why he took them out.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2022 at 12:10 PM, mrflynn03 said:

Have some faith. Woody has 6-8 years. Dane Fife will take over. He may have born in Michigan(gross)  but will always be a hoosier to me. 

Woody isn't lasting 6-8 years if he's not making tourneys. This year is a no. Next year, yikes.

I think he may have been a place holder hire because Dolson whiffed on everybody else. If not, then I agree with Aaron Torres in that was just an embarrassing. 'we've given up on the program' hire.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Sea Turtle said:

Woody isn't lasting 6-8 years if he's not making tourneys. This year is a no. Next year, yikes.

I think he may have been a place holder hire because Dolson whiffed on everybody else. If not, then I agree with Aaron Torres in that was just an embarrassing. 'we've given up on the program' hire.

Maybe they should just hire you then, since you seem to have all the answers.  How many games have you won again?

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Sea Turtle said:

I know when I want the scoop, I always tune into Aaron Torres.  

By the way, who the 'F' is Aaron Torres.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I know when I want the scoop, I always tune into Aaron Torres.  

By the way, who the 'F' is Aaron Torres.  

Fox Sports CBB senior writer

Indiana loses at home to Rutgers, after leading most of the game, and by as many as double figures. Said it before, and I'll say it again: There is no rock bottom for Indiana basketball. It's just a 30 year, bottomless pit of misery

10 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Fox Sports CBB senior writer

Indiana loses at home to Rutgers, after leading most of the game, and by as many as double figures. Said it before, and I'll say it again: There is no rock bottom for Indiana basketball. It's just a 30 year, bottomless pit of misery

Funny at first he didn't like the Woodson hire but after all the good news in the summer he said it was a great hire.

14 minutes ago, Sea Turtle said:

You're missing the point.  This guy is a 'shock' reporter.  Dakich without any IU ties.  He has zero credibility.  I will continue to form opinions on my own, and not stoop to basing my opinion on what someone else says.  Keep in mind, the media thought Archie was a GREAT hire, and we saw how that worked out.    

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 3