Coaching Change

30 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

You're missing the point.  This guy is a 'shock' reporter.  Dakich without any IU ties.  He has zero credibility.  I will continue to form opinions on my own, and not stoop to basing my opinion on what someone else says.  Keep in mind, the media thought Archie was a GREAT hire, and we saw how that worked out.    

https://saturdaytradition.com/indiana-football/mike-woodson-at-indiana-it-feels-like-a-reach/

https://www.awesemo.com/sideaction/indiana-hoosiers-hire-mike-woodson-and-fans-arent-exactly-thrilled-bjs/

https://theathletic.com/2482917/2021/03/28/indiana-hire-mike-woodson/

https://www.thehoosiernetwork.com/2021/03/28/yeary-like-it-or-not-you-have-to-give-mike-woodson-a-chance/

14 minutes ago, Sea Turtle said:

Serious question. Are you truly an IU fan or are you a troll. If you’re a troll then own it and stop being a keyboard warrior. If you’re truly an IU fan when is the last time you said something positive about this program? Why even like a team If you have unreasonable expectations and the ability to only see negative aspects of said program. You’re truly a frustrating poster.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

For the most part I think folks would agree the coaches that lead these teams are really good coaches, but I am sure in our case we only get these open looks because the defense intentionally does it.

/s

I don't know about that. D's sag, however they still closeout.  They leave TJD open; however he doesn't add to this stat since he doesn't shoot.  

They need the players.  They lead the nation in open 3's and also probably missed 2 footers down the stretch.  Free throws are practiced everyday.

Need the players, need the players.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Very interesting:

Screenshot_20220304-170041_Twitter.thumb.jpg.9ed1cf9eba8651759b6e072cdb09962a.jpg

Thanks for sharing. I also want to say when it's not very interesting it isn't a shot at your post....our staff has consistently put the guys in the best situation for looks all year. Kids just haven't made them. Stats like this prove that...again thanks for sharing!

• Like 2

Just now, MoyeCowbell said:

Not always about the X's and O's. It's about the Jimmys and Joes.

Has been since 1975 around these parts. We'll get our guys again. Good players and seem like good kids for sure...but they aren't the difference between 15-5 and 10-10 in Big 10 right now. 

1 hour ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Serious question. Are you truly an IU fan or are you a troll. If you’re a troll then own it and stop being a keyboard warrior. If you’re truly an IU fan when is the last time you said something positive about this program? Why even like a team If you have unreasonable expectations and the ability to only see negative aspects of said program. You’re truly a frustrating poster.

I am an Indiana fan. I'm just disgusted at the ineptness of our administration, athletic department, coaching staffs and teams over the last 25 years. 

And look at our AD's first season. A major reach of a coaching hire who was probably plan F or G, a putrid football team and a basketball team that is about to miss the tourney for 6 straight years. 

Honestly, you couldn't try to be worse at these two sports than our school has. It's embarrassing what the nation thinks of us.

14 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Thanks for sharing. I also want to say when it's not very interesting it isn't a shot at your post....our staff has consistently put the guys in the best situation for looks all year. Kids just haven't made them. Stats like this prove that...again thanks for sharing!

I agrre with you.  This staff is special, they are respected for what they do and Woodson has been hired as a defensive coordinator, is was an offensive innovator, and he has experience in the big apple.  The dude won't fold, he is going to get us back.  There is a clear awareness, my guess, for what we need.   Got to bet they have some tricks up their sleeves.

No coach, no coach wins without talent.  Talent isn't always the stars. Sometimes talent fits your system, your look, your environment.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Sea Turtle said:

I am an Indiana fan. I'm just disgusted at the ineptness of our administration, athletic department, coaching staffs and teams over the last 25 years. 

And look at our AD's first season. A major reach of a coaching hire who was probably plan F or G, a putrid football team and a basketball team that is about to miss the tourney for 6 straight years. 

Honestly, you couldn't try to be worse at these two sports than our school has. It's embarrassing what the nation thinks of us.

Your last paragraph reinforces there's no way you are an IU fan. Pretty transparent.  Very weak troll attempt.

Keeping this in the coaching framework, I have been fairly impressed with the staff and their management of the team overall. The players seem to get along and like one another, and the coaches have put them in position to succeed.*

There have been many offensive sets that look impressive, even if the results haven't been what we wanted.

The defensive tenacity has been high. Sure, there have been lapses and blow-by's, but overall I've watched the team get after it defensively. It appears the team hasn't given up despite the lack of sustained success, and that - at least - is a testament to a staff that's working together, imho.

*For the most part

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

I don't know about that. D's sag, however they still closeout.  They leave TJD open; however he doesn't add to this stat since he doesn't shoot.  

They need the players.  They lead the nation in open 3's and also probably missed 2 footers down the stretch.  Free throws are practiced everyday.

Need the players, need the players.  

Agreed, I was being sarcastic.

The issue very clearly is we don’t have the players. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Agreed, I was being sarcastic.

The issue very clearly is we don’t have the players. 

We have the talent to make the freaking tourney. We aren't even a top half team in the B1G. 

Listening to The Assembly Call, they are right. The entire framework of the program HAS to change drastically. Three different coaches over six years not making the tourney. That is ridiculous and unacceptable with the resources at their disposal. Indiana should make the tourney EVERY year. It's hard NOT to make the tourney, let alone 6 years straight. 

I'm not trolling, I'm speaking truth. Purdue trolls don't spend hours listening to The Assembly Call and Hoosier Hysterics 

I don't know what you do. It's deeper than the coaches. It's deeper than the players. 

Edited by Sea Turtle

33 minutes ago, Sea Turtle said:

We have the talent to make the freaking tourney. We aren't even a top half team in the B1G. 

Listening to The Assembly Call, they are right. The entire framework of the program HAS to change drastically. Three different coaches over six years not making the tourney. That is ridiculous and unacceptable with the resources at their disposal. Indiana should make the tourney EVERY year. It's hard NOT to make the tourney, let alone 6 years straight. 

I'm not trolling, I'm speaking truth. Purdue trolls don't spend hours listening to The Assembly Call and Hoosier Hysterics 

I don't know what you do. It's deeper than the coaches. It's deeper than the players. 

I don’t think you’re a Purdue troll, for what it’s worth. I think your an Indiana fan who is frustrated and sick of losing, and I get it.

You very well could be right that it goes beyond the talent, but the talent has been middle to bottom of the Big Ten for a while now. That has to change. Why is the talent bad and are we willing to do what it takes to fix it? 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Sea Turtle said:

So what is it because we have changed coaches a lot and the AD and administration has changed many times.  The people who fired RMK and maybe wanted to down play athletics are no longer here. We should be better than we have been and should make the tournament most years.  To me it is harder for us to be elite today compared to the past because college basketball and recruiting had changed so much.

23 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I don’t think you’re a Purdue troll, for what it’s worth. I think your an Indiana fan who is frustrated and sick of losing, and I get it.

You very well could be right that it goes beyond the talent, but the talent has been middle to bottom of the Big Ten for a while now. That has to change. Why is the talent bad and are we willing to do what it takes to fix it? 

If you mean cheat to get talent I hope we don't do that. I see teams like UW and PU who doesn't get highly ranked players but can develop them into a great team.  There is no reason we can't have a program like those teams.  I don't see how those programs having to stoop to that level to be successful.

2 hours ago, Sea Turtle said:

Why does it matter what the nation thinks of us? Do you care what people think of how you dress or what car you drive? Serious question! Also, it’s literally year one of this coaching staff. Woody hasn’t even gotten a full class of recruits yet. I’m two seasons if we don’t make strides then you have every right to be negative but at least try giving it a chance. Do you live your life negative first and then if things in your life go good then you’re positive? I’m trying to understand your mindset without judging you disrespectfully.

I'm all for fit and character. I've said it on another thread that I believe winners are an absolute necessity in recruiting. Finding players that have won high school/prep championships is a big, if somewhat underrated, factor.

All that said, making a declaration as a program to go after the absolute best of the best players in the country is paramount. We can get those plucky, homegrown kids with ties to the program/state to fill out the back half of our roster, but we need to go after the thoroughbreds (like JHS, Gunn, etc.)

And I don't mean, just go after in a hopeful way, a la "Gollee, it'd be nice to have so-so."  No, I think IU needs to decide/declare that this is what we are. We are the best and we go after the best.

It's a swagger. A confidence. A decision.

Edited by MoyeCowbell
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Why does it matter what the nation thinks of us? Do you care what people think of how you dress or what car you drive? Serious question! Also, it’s literally year one of this coaching staff. Woody hasn’t even gotten a full class of recruits yet. I’m two seasons if we don’t make strides then you have every right to be negative but at least try giving it a chance. Do you live your life negative first and then if things in your life go good then you’re positive? I’m trying to understand your mindset without judging you disrespectfully.

Ok but he has had 30 games now. They are getting worse, not better. How long does it take to build a team that can win at home against Rutgers on senior night? He has an all american for Pete's sake. 

And yes, it does bother me to see my team as a laughing stock.