Rutgers Post Game Thread

KDB

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

But, that's the thing.  Stewart and Kopp weren't having good games.  Jordan Geronimo was.  Put the players on teh floor that give you the best chance to win THAT game.  Maybe Saturday against Purdue that will be Stewart and Kopp.  Tonight it was Geronimo with XJ and Rob capable of more minutes as well.  

Geronimo only played 9 minutes.

Ron Harper played 38 minutes.  Why could we only get 32 out of TJD.

Geo Baker played 36 minutes.  Why could we only get 33 out of XJ.  XJ plays 3 more minutes when he was taking over the game and we win.

Geronimo isn't a wing or guard and isn't a 3pt shooter. You're not putting him in for Stewart or Kopp against a zone. 

None of it matters if Stewart or (not even 'and', just one of them) Kopp make the open shots they're supposed to make. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

But, that's the thing.  Stewart and Kopp weren't having good games.  Jordan Geronimo was.  Put the players on teh floor that give you the best chance to win THAT game.  Maybe Saturday against Purdue that will be Stewart and Kopp.  Tonight it was Geronimo with XJ and Rob capable of more minutes as well.  

Geronimo only played 9 minutes.

Ron Harper played 38 minutes.  Why could we only get 32 out of TJD.

Geo Baker played 36 minutes.  Why could we only get 33 out of XJ.  XJ plays 3 more minutes when he was taking over the game and we win.

I’ve been begging for more Jordan and less Miller since the B1G season.  Almost feel like Geronimo is being held back on developing in some regard.  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Not saying that, and I will listen to legitimate arguments for the last 3.  The first one, however, is indefensible in my opinion.  Each and every game stands on its own.  Based on what was happening on the floor, Geronimo was going to help the team be successful tonight,  The other two (Race and Stewart) were not.  And, I'll even throw Durr into that since he got 5 minutes of time in the 2nd half.that could have went to Geronimo as well.  

• Ride Keith Smart in the '87 championship game when he is hot
  • Ride Christian Watford against UK when he is on fire

When a player is making a difference, let them play!

I agree with you on Geronimo.  I think he can do more than we let him.  I’d like to see the staff expand his opportunities in the NIT games.  It would be an ideal time to develop a guy like him.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Every time someone lists Stewart or Kopp's 3-pt percentage (season), I feel like they must be lying.  Maybe because they are streaky shooters? IDK, but it seems like every game one or both miss a lot of shots.

Prob because neither has made a whole lot of them this year. They can’t get their own shots, so they typically don’t get a bunch of looks. I’d say tonight was an anomaly and both bombed. 

As much as it pains me to say, I think Osterman with the Indy Star got it right when he recently said we are “mediocre”. The potential was present on this team to be really good… but it never materialized consistently and we consistently blew games we should have won(Rutgers, @OSU, @Syracuse, both Wisconsin games). It is what it is. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Geronimo isn't a wing or guard and isn't a 3pt shooter. You're not putting him in for Stewart or Kopp against a zone. 

None of it matters if Stewart or (not even 'and', just one of them) Kopp make the open shots they're supposed to make. 

If Geronimo is playing for one of Kopp or Stewart, we get 2 or 3 more offensive rebounds.  Lord knows they would have given him the opportunity.  Offensive rebounds lead to points.  

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Kopp and PS were 3-14 from 3. Just awful. I’ll be quite blunt and say I’m not interested in either being back next year. Both are one dimensional and for Stewart, sure he shoots it well overall, but he has to rely on somebody else to get him a look. God, can we please have a shooter next year that other teams actually fear!?

You’re not wrong.  I’d add some other players but I don’t want to ruffle anyone’s feathers.  I sure don’t mean TJD. I can easily get to several players.  

I will add that I like Kopp but not sure he’s a fit with this roster.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

He did have one of the best buckets getting it in the middle and taking it in for a floater. Not saying he should have been playing on the wing but I think he matched up well against Harper…but in the end we had our chances. We missed a lot of wide open looks late…including bunnies in the lane for put backs. Mostly those because guys are afraid to get fouled so instead of taking it strong to the rim they tip it or rush a put back instead of getting themselves together and attacking it strong to the goal.

4 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I’ve been begging for more Jordan and less Miller since the B1G season.  Almost feel like Geronimo is being held back on developing in some regard.  

A player with his talent could easily break out and be huge.  But, he has to be given the opportunity.  If nothing else happens this season, I hope he gets a chance to show that in the NIT.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Prob because neither has made a whole lot of them this year. They can’t get their own shots, so they typically don’t get a bunch of looks. I’d say tonight was an anomaly and both bombed. 

can't remember where but i heard someone talking about Kopp and Stewart recently and how most of their made threes were spot up catch and shoot threes and that both are shooting poorly of screens and obviously can't shoot off the dribble.  

• Like 1

Not sure i can put much of this L on CMW, at least with respect to Xs and Os. He drew up some really nice plays out of TOs - Race got a couple of easy buckets and PS got a couple of absolutely wide open looks as well.

I do think he needs to answer for why these guys fall apart at the end of most of our games, though. We’ll see if he can fix that through the portal/recruiting, because it’s pretty clear by now that this group just doesn’t have it. 

• Like 2

Going forward this program needs to have only one low post player on the court. The problem this year is our two best players are both post players and that jams up the paint.  We need longer and more athletic wings guys who can step out and shoot the ball from the perimeter. We need guys who can create their own shots and more guys who can get to the basket.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If Geronimo is playing for one of Kopp or Stewart, we get 2 or 3 more offensive rebounds.  Lord knows they would have given him the opportunity.  Offensive rebounds lead to points.  

Again, if a 42.6% 3pt shooter makes the wide open shots he's supposed to, we win easy. 

Geronimo on the wing is not something a coach is going to do in that situation. Being out of position against a zone, I could argue he'd have more turnovers then offensive rebounds. 

The bet was that an excellent 3pt shooter wouldn't miss 7 wide open 3's and we got unlucky and lost the bet. 

It's a much safer bet then putting a young player at a position he doesn't play in a huge game. 

We just didn't make wide open shots. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

A player with his talent could easily break out and be huge.  But, he has to be given the opportunity.  If nothing else happens this season, I hope he gets a chance to show that in the NIT.

For Jordan to be a wing he has to be a lot better at handling the ball.  I think he has a chance to be a descent perimeter shooter especially the mid range jumper

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

We're absolutely mediocre. 

I've said this before, but you don't bring Woodson, Matta, Fife, etc., in for a slow build. 

I give them a pass for now because they had to use bandaids on this roster, but you bring in a 63 year old with 40 years of experience, as well as Matta and Fife, to go get ballers immediately. 

Whether it's the portal or some kids like Bates that get out of their LOI's because coaches get fired, but Woodson needs to add some legit ballers this offseason. 

I give it a pass this year as well because we made about as good as we could with this roster….and Woody was coaching teenagers for the first time ever. No grown men….not professionals that know how to stop a run or get a basket etc. He made his mistakes this year too….but hopefully he learns and grows. There is no Carmelo on this team…no Rip Hamilton or Rasheed Wallace or Chauncey Billups etc…he will have to go out and recruit one or two.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Need to figure out what is wrong with the program. Since RMK left we are on our 6th coach, 4 AD's, 4 presidents so it is hard to keep blaming our failures on these positions.

There’s a disconnect between the university and fan base. Sadly, IU basketball will never be what it once was, or even close to it…I don’t think the University will allow it

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

If XJ doesn't come back, this team is going to be really........not good next year.   The coaching staff absolutely has to convince him to stay.  It's their #1 off-season priority.   

100%. Priority #1 in the re-recruitment of current players. 

• Like 5