Rutgers Post Game Thread

KDB

36 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

I hope those saying we just got beat by a guy hitting a big shot realize that we were gifted a 5 point play right before that. I'm more concerned with why we were in that position in the first place, why guys who are supposed to be really good shooters continue to fail, why we continue to fall apart down the stretch of games. To be fair, they had some mediocre FT shooters knock down shots, but we shouldn't have been in that position in the first place. 

Stop it - no we didn't have a gifted 5 point play. 

Rutgers would have turned it over if it didn't hit the ref, then their dude lost his cool and got a deserved flagrant 2. Rutgers had a 60% free throw shooter make both on a 1 and 1. There was absolutely no gift there. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Stop it - no we didn't have a gifted 5 point play. 

Rutgers would have turned it over if it didn't hit the ref, then their dude lost his cool and got a deserved flagrant 2. Rutgers had a 60% free throw shooter make both on a 1 and 1. There was absolutely no gift there. 

Of course it was a gift. Rutgers made 2 uncharacteristic plays in that sequence; otherwise, they're just shooting FTs to finish the game and we're doing our usual floundering around on the offensive end trying to get a 3. They were up 3 with 19 seconds left with the ball. I'm not sure how you can't call that a gift when they made (1) a bad pass that hit the ref, which was actually a break for us because (2) Mulcahy lost his cool and got the F2. 

20 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Do you remember how bad JG was against SU's zone? You can't believe our best route to success is try something you've never worked on/make a kid play a position that he isn't comfortable with? Right? 

Why hasn't he played there before? Because he doesn't have the skills to, as of now. 

I am willing to bet growing up, JG has not one single time played on the perimeter vs. a zone. And neither has Thompson! This is not a sustainable route to success. 

I do think JG has come a long way since the Syracuse game. Sure he has some bad games, or even bad moments in good games. Once or twice last night I saw him switch on a screen that XJ went over on. BUT he is getting better and he has proven that he can cut into the middle of the zone and make the right play. Last night he made a nice jumper in the middle of the zone that ended a scoring drought. 

I'm not advocating that he plays the 3 (yet), but I do think he earned more minutes than were given last night. Again, as long as one of TJD or Race (who slides over to the 5) are on the floor.

2 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Of course it was a gift. Rutgers made 2 uncharacteristic plays in that sequence; otherwise, they're just shooting FTs to finish the game and we're doing our usual floundering around on the offensive end trying to get a 3. They were up 3 with 19 seconds left with the ball. I'm not sure how you can't call that a gift when they made (1) a bad pass that hit the ref, which was actually a break for us because (2) Mulcahy lost his cool and got the F2. 

The first part was a wash. If ball does not hit ref it goes out of bounds our ball down 3. Mulchay loses his cool they hit 2 we hit 2 we get ball down 3. Same outcome right. 

Edited by Billingsley99
  • Like 3

Just now, tdhoosier said:

I do think JG has come a long way since the Syracuse game. Sure he has some bad games, or even bad moments in good games. Once or twice last night I saw him switch on a screen that XJ went over on. BUT he is getting better and he has proven that he can cut into the middle of the zone and make the right play. Last night he made a nice jumper in the middle of the zone that ended a scoring drought. 

I'm not advocating that he plays the 3 (yet), but I do think he earned more minutes than were given last night. Again, as long as one of TJD or Race (who slides over to the 5) are on the floor.

He mostly plays with one of those two. I agree with your whole first paragraph. 

I don't think we loved him guarding Harper. I need to go through the game, Harper got very little in the half court with RT on him, but idk the exact number. 

I'm happy with where he is at... he just needs to take a big step this off season. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

How was that a break for us that the ball hit the ref? If it goes out there it's our ball down three, instead we had to hit two free throws to get the ball down three.

No, I don't think we got a gift there anymore than Rutger got a gift that the ball hit the ref. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

He mostly plays with one of those two. I agree with your whole first paragraph. 

I don't think we loved him guarding Harper. I need to go through the game, Harper got very little in the half court with RT on him, but idk the exact number. 

I'm happy with where he is at... he just needs to take a big step this off season. 

I also should've added that in zone situations his ability to crash the offensive board is valuable. 

Get into the middle, break it down, jump high and crash the boards.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

maybe one where a few specific posters aren't allowed?

Look man, I umm, I really don't like engaging with you, but you've contributed like nothing to this thread other than taking pot shots at people. 

I'd love to see some actual in-depth analysis from a guy that has the knowledge of a coach, if you can be so kind as to provide that. What do you think was wrong with the shots we got? Who would you rather get open threes for on this roster than the guys who got them? What do you want TJD to do with the ball in the situations he was in? 

1 minute ago, tdhoosier said:

I also should've added that in zone situations his ability to crash the offensive board is valuable. 

Get into the middle, break it down, jump high and crash the boards.  

For sure. He is just in a bind with two that are in front of him. 

Just now, KoB2011 said:

How was that a break for us that the ball hit the ref? If it goes out there it's our ball down three, instead we had to hit two free throws to get the ball down three.

No, I don't think we got a gift there anymore than Rutger got a gift that the ball hit the ref. 

Because Mulcahy gets the F2 and gets tossed - he's one of their better players, and he's generally been a pretty calm guy for the most part in his career. I get what you're saying that it's a wash with respect to FTs and we're in the same position down 3 with the ball, so point taken, but they still lost one of their starters, who did something uncharacteristic for him - it's like Race getting tossed. Add on the bad pass before that by Geo Baker, which was also uncharacteristic for him.

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

We dont have one, but we didnt have that anyway last night.

Find a different way to beat the zone.  It couldn't have hurt.  We lost not trying it. How does doing something different hurt worse th than that.   Might as well have tried it.  The committee is going to look at the Final score, not the fact that we executed to get open shots but we were just unlucky that our two 'shooters' didnt shoot well.

I agree and way is to remove the stand around guys. You could drive a pin next to Stewart and Kopp at times all season long. I would use them like a Roth type bench shooter.

Insert slashing shot creator like Bates. I’ve said before I think he just needs reps to find his comfort and flow zone within the offense.

Get Geronimo in for some mid range offense. Kid has shown great mid range potential. Their zone was obviously to collapse on the paint and force the perimeter shot. If you can’t hit then you better be able to penetrate and dish or draw a foul. Last night, I thought XJ didn’t do enough of that.

It’s all debatable. I’m not the type to pass out cookies and create a fantasy land. Pass blame on who you want to but the facts are not debatable. IU is currently on coach number 5 since they fired a legend and has shelled out a lot of money to suck the dirt off the bottom of the B1G.

Next season recruits look promising. I’m really hopeful and think the next 2 classes will make a difference.

14 minutes ago, btownqb said:

We have lost our last 4 games that TJD played 34 or more mins. We are 4-6 in those games in conference play. We are 1-2 in games in the B1G when RT plays 34+ mins. 

Coach has said time after time he is going with experience.  This I don't get, and might explain lack of time for some of the soph/frosh.  At somepoint you have to think of next year.  The kids getting the final minutes are experienced and have NEVER won at the NCAA level.  Not at IU, Pit, NW, and other places.  

Go with the future, those are the kids that will save this program.

And, recruit the heck out of JUCO and uncommitted kids at this point.  Strategy might be to wait for coaching changes and portal - but, why wait?  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Look man, I umm, I really don't like engaging with you, but you've contributed like nothing to this thread other than taking pot shots at people. 

I'd love to see some actual in-depth analysis from a guy that has the knowledge of a coach, if you can be so kind as to provide that. What do you think was wrong with the shots we got? Who would you rather get open threes for on this roster than the guys who got them? What do you want TJD to do with the ball in the situations he was in? 

you angry bro?  i didn't mention one name and haven't made any of those claims you are directing at me.  i'm letting all of the experts on here explain everything.  

13 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Because Mulcahy gets the F2 and gets tossed - he's one of their better players, and he's generally been a pretty calm guy for the most part in his career. I get what you're saying that it's a wash with respect to FTs and we're in the same position down 3 with the ball, so point taken, but they still lost one of their starters, who did something uncharacteristic for him - it's like Race getting tossed. Add on the bad pass before that by Geo Baker, which was also uncharacteristic for him.

If the game would have gone to OT, then sure. But each team got one possession after that and he wouldn't have been involved with how it played out. 

4 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Coach has said time after time he is going with experience.  This I don't get, and might explain lack of time for some of the soph/frosh.  At somepoint you have to think of next year.  The kids getting the final minutes are experienced and have NEVER won at the NCAA level.  Not at IU, Pit, NW, and other places.  

And, recruit the heck out of JUCO and uncommitted kids at this point.  Strategy might be to wait for coaching changes and portal - but, why wait?  

Yessir

2 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

you angry bro?  i didn't mention one name and haven't made any of those claims you are directing at me.  i'm letting all of the experts on here explain everything.  

I'm not angry at all. You seem to think we'd have a better discussion removing some people from this thread (I'm oblivious as to who you could be talking about...), so I'm curious what you think about those topics?

You are a coach, you nailed our late season collapse, so let's hear your perspective man. Isn't that a reasonable request since you want people that are actually taking the time to engage in a discussion about last nights game gone? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

So JG over RT and TB over PS? 

Is this what you're saying? Truly just trying to make sure I understood your post. 

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

If the game would have gone to OT, then sure. But each team got one possession after that and he wouldn't have been involved with how it played out. 

I have no problem walking back the 5 point play gift comment, and appreciate you pointing that out. But, just by percentages, we still shouldn't have been down 3 with the ball at the end (both Geo and Mulcahy shoot +70% from the line), and you also don't know where Mulcahy would have been on Parker's 3 that he hit to tie it up. Maybe poor rotation by his replacement was the reason PS was open. Idk. In the end, I guess none of it matters, since a loss is a loss is a loss and all that.

• Like 2