Rutgers Post Game Thread

KDB

5 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

I'll put a different spin on your point: We should never have inferior talent to Rutgers.

Does anyone think our starting 5 is better than ANY of the numerous teams we will finish behind in the B10 standings?

I would certainly take the guards/wings from every team ahead of us.

5 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Woody 💯absolutely had to make the dance this season to have a chance of surviving.  Miss out and were looking for a new coach next season.   Guaranteed 

Could you give it a rest, comments like this is why no big time coach will come and coach for this pathetic fan base

Just now, KoB2011 said:

So you are saying we got outcoached because the Rutgers gameplay was to leave Kopp and Stewart wide open? 

Very interesting theory...

Seems a bit out there, but … I guess it worked? I mean, this isn’t Stewart’s first dud and Kopp has been somewhat invisible offensively all year. TJD was dominant inside in the first half and did very little in the second, so RU clearly made some adjustments. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

I understand, but I had a very uneasy feeling about this game. I've seen too many where the Hoosiers did not show up. There too many to mention.

Did not show up? On senior night? At home? To get into the tournament?  No Excuses. No Excuses. No Excuses. No Excuses. 😎

Edited by Officer Obie
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

So you are saying we got outcoached because the Rutgers gameplay was to leave Kopp and Stewart wide open? 

Very interesting theory...

We’re you saying the same thing when Archie was here? His guys got open shots too and didn’t make them.  So I guess your theory is he should still be here. And yes this year I would leave Kopp open all day long.  If you think we played well against the zone then I’m not sure what to tell you.  ✌🏻 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Same old song and dance. This was my email to a coworker today:

Not feeling too confident about tonight….Rutgers has beaten IU 4 straight and 6 out of the last 7. I have a feeling that it will end similar to the past few games, close game with about 8 minutes left then the wheels fall off.

Up 7 with 9 minutes left…this program is a joke! It thinks of itself in the same league as Purdue and MSU but they’re closer to Penn State and Northwestern. I was in Archie’s corner for far too long. We should have known after the ISU and IPFW games that first year. After watching game after game getting pissed away in the last 10 minutes, I’ll be surprised if Woody rights the ship. 

8C1FEA5C-DA61-4A62-B867-F35038F3E967.thumb.png.0810beaa41b0a4a869035f768bc2dce6.png

Just now, IUwins0708 said:

We’re you saying the same thing when Archie was here? His guys got open shots too and didn’t make them.  So I guess your theory is he should still be here. And yes this year I would leave Kopp open all day long.  If you think we played well against the zone then I’m not sure what to tell you.  ✌🏻 

Actually I did say the same a lot of the time with Archie and have no problem standing by that. We got a lot of good looks when he was our coach - that said, I was definitely ready for him to go.

The problem with this team this year, last year, the year before, and the year before, is talent. We don't have enough of it and we don't have guys that make winnings plays. 

• Like 1

Just now, BGleas said:

The only reason we lost that game is because Kopp and Stewart didn't do what they were brought here to do. 

They're here to make wide open 3's and we got them wide open 3's all night and they couldn't make them. 

That is why we lost plain and simple. 

Yep. PS was like shooting around with a little kid, where you keep feeding him until he eventually hits a shot. “Here ya go, buddy, try it again, you’ll hit one of these soon.” Cripes. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, Rev_AK said:

When Harper hit the miracle 3 at the end of the shot clock, the miracle 3 before the half, and we came out and turned it over and fouled 26 seconds into the second half, I have to admit, I had a strong feeling that a loss was on the way. 
I have to handle it like a grown up and move on. But making the tournament shouldn’t be too much of an ask. Not for IU. 

Every other team in the Big Ten has had a winning record since the last time we did.  Every single one.  This program is a dumpster fire and has been one for a long time.  I have a middle schooler who has had 3 years worth a damn in his lifetime and hasn't seen Indiana in a tournament game since he was a first or second grader (it has been so long I can't remember exactly when the last time we were in).

Terrible, terrible spot this program is in.  Seriously, the University is going to have to put something out there worth a darn soon.  You can only sell 30 year old games so long and frankly I think we are well past that expiration date.  It is a shock we get the fan support we do.  It certainly has not been earned over the past 20 years.

• Like 3

Just now, KoB2011 said:

Actually I did say the same a lot of the time with Archie and have no problem standing by that. We got a lot of good looks when he was our coach - that said, I was definitely ready for him to go.

The problem with this team this year, last year, the year before, and the year before, is talent. We don't have enough of it and we don't have guys that make winnings plays. 

Just to be clear, I love Woody and hope he does well.  Just didn’t like what I saw tonight against the zone that’s it.  

5 minutes ago, Rev_AK said:

When Harper hit the miracle 3 at the end of the shot clock, the miracle 3 before the half, and we came out and turned it over and fouled 26 seconds into the second half, I have to admit, I had a strong feeling that a loss was on the way. 
I have to handle it like a grown up and move on. But making the tournament shouldn’t be too much of an ask. Not for IU. 

Also one of the 3's Baker hit in the first shouldn't have happened. Harper was clearly put of bounds but they still have Rutgers the ball and then Baker hit the 3. I looked at the clock and it was like 4 minutes to go and Rutgers had 21 points and thinking with the 3 Harper hit  and Baker's 3 we should be ahead a lot more.

• Like 1

Race let Harper get those looks quite a bit tonight. Didn’t close out on him well at all. Uncharacteristic shooting night for Parker tonight and it hurt us. We just don’t have guys on the team that have experienced what it takes to get to that winning level yet. I think this year Woodson tried plugging in holes where he could, and tried going with the best scheme that fit with the best player we have, which is get it to Trayce and hope that everyone else plays decent enough if he is having an off night. Since Race and Trayce are two of our best players, he’s gotta play big guy ball. I think once the entire roster is full of recruits he wants that can play his style, we will see a more uptempo guard/wing oriented team. (I know I know, we said “just wait until Archie gets his own guys…”) but we all know Archie teams struggled to shoot the ball every year, and in Woodson’s style offense, he expects everyone on the floor to be able to shoot the ball. 

I think for the most part Coach Woodson and staff put us in position to make places, we just don’t have the stone cold killers and playmakers to make it successful. It was so us tonight to see one of our guys miss a wide open shot and then the other team run straight down and hit a dagger with hands in his face.

Just feel bad for the guys on the team if we can’t sneak into the tournament.  Brutal to go through your whole career without getting to experience it. I think Woodson has done all he can to get them there, but he can only do so much with the players he has out on the floor. They’ve gotta be the ones to make shots, not turn the ball over, play smart, etc. 

• Like 1

I thought a turning point in the game was when X was taken out in the 2nd half when he was on a tear.  Maybe he was getting a little tired.  But, wait until the tear is over before having him sit.  It didn't help that TJD happened to be on the bench at the same time.  

Also, not enough Geronimo.  He was a difference maker in the first half, but we got 5 minutes of Durr before any Geronimo in the 2nd.  And, once again, Geronimo made some plays in his 3 2nd half minutes.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, IUwins0708 said:

Just to be clear, I love Woody and hope he does well.  Just didn’t like what I saw tonight against the zone that’s it.  

I didn't like it either, but it had nothing to do with the looks we were getting. Which wide open looks from Stewart and Kopp did you have a problem with?

• Like 1

I have said so when I haven't liked coaching moves.  Today, I didn't see coaching moves as the issue.  We got some good looks.  

Rutgers core of Harper, Mulcahy, Baker, and McConnell.  That's a good veteran group.  We are not in that class at those positions.  Their big guy has some length and competitiveness.  He hit his free throws too.

• Like 3