Rutgers Post Game Thread

KDB

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Also one of the 3's Baker hit in the first shouldn't have happened. Harper was clearly put of bounds but they still have Rutgers the ball and then Baker hit the 3. I looked at the clock and it was like 4 minutes to go and Rutgers had 21 points and thinking with the 3 Harper hit  and Baker's 3 we should be ahead a lot more.

We didn't lose because of the refs - they were honestly a pretty small impact on that game compared to most Big Ten games.

• Like 3

Just now, KoB2011 said:

I didn't like it either, but it had nothing to do with the looks we were getting. Which wide open looks from Stewart and Kopp did you have a problem with?

The first 3 possessions we ran the shot clock down and forced up a contested shot.  Most of their open looks came from the man to man defense or out of timeouts.  And I don’t care how wide open Kopp is, because he’s been awful from 3 all year. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

We didn't lose because of the refs - they were honestly a pretty small impact on that game compared to most Big Ten games.

Agree.  I thought the refs were solid.  

They had the call right on Mulcahy.  He swung.  That's a flagrant 2 and they got it right.  I have to admit I thought they'd split the baby, which is the chicken way out and something that happens too often.  I give them credit on that one.  

But throughout I thought they had good control.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I have said so when I haven't liked coaching moves.  Today, I didn't see coaching moves as the issue.  We got some good looks.  

Rutgers core of Harper, Mulcahy, Baker, and McConnell.  That's a good veteran group.  We are not in that class at those positions.  Their big guy has some length and competitiveness.  He hit his free throws too.

That may be a veteran group.  But, we did start 4 seniors and a very experienced pre-season All-American junior.  Experience did not lose us this game.   

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 3

I don’t understand the confusion against the zone. We scored our one of our highest point totals of the season against the coach  who made a career perfecting the zone. 
My biggest criticism against CMW this season has been taking out too many guys at a time. Taking out guys when they are hot. Crean and Archie had similar issues. Maybe I am too out of touch, but these guys shouldn’t need so much rest, especially not with the Great Cliff Marshall there to get them in NFL ready, er NCAA basketball ready shape. ( that doesn’t effect their shooting at all)

i kid, i kid. 

im just bitter and enjoy coming here to vent.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Wait, so we're saying Rutgers game plan was to leave a 42.6% 3pt shooter wide open all night?

Completely get what you are saying here but (1) I’m guessing that percentage is a bit lower in the last 5-10 minutes of the game across the board with this group, and (2) missing open shots isn’t exactly a new thing with us. Rutgers has been watching it for a few years now, so it’s not crazy to think that maybe they decided to make us beat them from outside. 

But, yeah, that does seem a little bit out there as strategies go. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

Agree. I Feel like the coaching staff did everything they could to win this game but our players just couldn't hit shots. They continually drew up plays that created open shots and they didn't hit. 

I think one time Rutgers literally let Stewart shoot it and they were content on letting him do that. 

• Sad 1

I'm on the more experienced side (older) of posters on here (mid-50's), and I've become pretty adept at reading things during IU games.  This one never felt good to me from the opening tip.  My comments in the game thread back that up. 

As poorly as we shot, there were things the coaches could have done differently to win us the game

• Recognize who was making winning plays (Geronimo) and who wasn't (Race, Stewart).
  • Do not sit XJ down when he's on his tear.  Just don't do it.  Why????
  • TJD sat through an entire segment between TV timeouts.  That can't happen in a must win game.
  • Rob has to be on the floor at the end of the game.  He hits big shots and he plays lockdown D.  Does Harper hit that last 3 if Rob is on him?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Completely get what you are saying here but (1) I’m guessing that percentage is a bit lower in the last 5-10 minutes of the game across the board with this group, and (2) missing open shots isn’t exactly a new thing with us. Rutgers has been watching it for a few years now, so it’s not crazy to think that maybe they decided to make us beat them from outside. 

But, yeah, that does seem a little bit out there as strategies go. 

Gameplan or not, that should have been a recipe for an Indiana win. 

Parker Stewart hits 2 of those wide open 3's and Kopp just 1 of them and we win that game going away. 

If we can't count on them to hit completely wide open 3's, then this is who we are and where we're at. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Question for the people that say we need to recruit winners.  Weren’t most, if not all of these guys more than likely on highly successful high school teams?  

I think you’re right. I think we have a decent roster. We may not have 5 stars everywhere,  ( but we have 2) I think there is something psychological that happens when these guys are in AH and have the chance to hit the big one and blow the lid off the place, and then…… clank

But guys on the other teams seem to feed off our crowd and do what IU players can’t- stick the big shots.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IUwins0708 said:

Examples of who weren’t on highly successful high school teams?  They all aren’t going to be state champions but I’m guessing they won way more than they lost.  

I guess it depends how you define highly successful, but I wouldn't expect any team with a major D1 player to be hovering around .500.

The only two guys that immediately jump to my mind from what I'd call highly successful high school program son this roster are Leal and Galloway. I am sure there are others that I'm missing, but I don't think this team is exactly littered with kids who were going deep in their state tournaments.

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'm on the more experienced side (older) of posters on here (mid-50's), and I've become pretty adept at reading things during IU games.  This one never felt good to me from the opening tip.  My comments in the game thread back that up. 

As poorly as we shot, there were things the coaches could have done differently to win us the game

• Recognize who was making winning plays (Geronimo) and who wasn't (Race, Stewart).
  • TJD sat through an entire segment between TV timeouts.  That can't happen in a must win game.
  • Rob has to be on the floor at the end of the game.  He hits big shots and he plays lockdown D.  Does Harper hit that last 3 if Rob is on him?

I don't necessarily agree with all of your bullets, but let's say they're all correct for sake of conversation....

Is the standard that we should have to have a perfect game coached to win? That's pretty rough, given that coaching often falls into a gray area with decisions that are much easier judged with hindsight. 

• Like 1

I guess it depends how you define highly successful, but I wouldn't expect any team with a major D1 player to be hovering around .500.

The only two guys that immediately jump to my mind from what I'd call highly successful high school program son this roster are Leal and Galloway. I am sure there are others that I'm missing, but I don't think this team is exactly littered with kids who were going deep in their state tournaments.

Did TJD ever get past the regionals. I know RP went to the finals in his sophomore year and lost to To Romeo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Logan Duncomb..Ohio State championship with Moeller.

• Thanks 1

If we are only recruiting players that make deep tourney runs that’s really going to limit the players we recruit I would think.  I agree on Galloway and Leal, TJD was on a successful team as well. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I mean, you can always nitpick and find some things that could have been done different. 

But again, the bottom line is if Stewart and Kopp even have average shooting night on completely wide open shots then we win that game going away. 

• Like 1