@ Purdue Pre Game Thread

KDB

25 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

Thank for trying, but Woody had said all summer if our guys are open, I want them to shoot it. This statement was just way out in left field and the reporter never asked about it. Made my head explode when i heard it. Makes no sense. 

Feels like you're searching for things to be mad about. 

Clearly Phinisee is a kid that has struggled with confidence and Woodson is working on trying to restore his confidence. 

It's not that complicated. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

Thank for trying, but Woody had said all summer if our guys are open, I want them to shoot it. This statement was just way out in left field and the reporter never asked about it. Made my head explode when i heard it. Makes no sense. 

Correct, it's hard to break a habit or a mindset that has been instilled.  I do beleive once you are coached not to do something it's hard to do something with confidence.  From day one Woodson has given the green light- players can't just go. It takes time and confidence especially when struggling.

Like Trayce, the kid is allowed to shoot, he can make it in practice, but games he doesn't feel comfortable.   Same with Zeller.  Two terrific players!  

2 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Correct, it's hard to break a habit or a mindset that has been instilled.  I do beleive once you are coached not to do something it's hard to do something with confidence.  From day one Woodson has given the green light- players can't just go. It takes time and confidence especially when struggling.

Like Trayce, the kid is allowed to shoot, he can make it in practice, but games he doesn't feel comfortable.   Same with Zeller.  Two terrific players!  

So the problem is our recruiting. We are recruiting very very soft kids. That has never been through any hardships in their lives? 

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Feels like you're searching for things to be mad about. 

Clearly Phinisee is a kid that has struggled with confidence and Woodson is working on trying to restore his confidence. 

It's not that complicated. 

Searching for something to be mad about? Like I need to think this much about something to be mad about as a life long fan. Hell, how about the last 20 years. Is that not enough alone? 

31 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

Searching for something to be mad about? Like I need to think this much about something to be mad about as a life long fan. Hell, how about the last 20 years. Is that not enough alone? 

The IU basketball program doesn’t exist for your pleasure. You should take some time to think about that…

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

You rail against the administration, the AD, and the coach, although last time I looked our president was new, along with the other 2 positions...

You cannot hold those people to account for the last 20 years...you have to give them a chance to succeed or fail on their own merits...

• Like 8

47 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

So the problem is our recruiting. We are recruiting very very soft kids. That has never been through any hardships in their lives? 

My last add to the conversation before I have to go.  I don't care what your past is, confidence and mental is under the iceberg and the majority of reasoning for play.  You don't have to be soft to not be  confident.  Rob is tough as nails, the way he fights on defense, especially undersized, I want him on my team. There is no giveup in him. I would hire him in a heart beat.  Shooting is a different game, its like hitting in baseball.  Sometimes the best who are overthinking it have struggles.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ba43056 said:

We need this one and an appearance in the Conference Championship game to get in. JMO

Honestly though, has anyone every coached and played for an NIT champion? I like our odds in that caliber of competition. 

I think a win today, or 2 in the B1G tournament gets us in.  Win today and 1 win in the tournament might get us to a 10 seed. Win today and get to the championship is probably 8/9 game.  Let's hope any of these scenarios comes true! 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

You rail against the administration, the AD, and the coach, although last time I looked our president was new, along with the other 2 positions...

You cannot hold those people to account for the last 20 years...you have to give them a chance to succeed or fail on their own merits...

Oh of course. The new age of accountability. No one is accountable. We have gone through coach after coach for the last twenty two years. And only holding those coaches accountable by firing them. Who is hiring the coaches. Why are they hiring bad to mediocre coaches? Someone is responsible for this complete pile of sh.. created. 

58 minutes ago, ba43056 said:

Honestly though, has anyone every coached and played for an NIT champion? I like our odds in that caliber of competition. 

Jeff Jones.  Played at Virginia and won a NIT and later was the HC leading the Cavs to the NIT title.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jojo123 said:

Oh of course. The new age of accountability. No one is accountable.

No one said that...they have to have something to account for to be held accountable to it...

Way too short of a sample size to judge Coach Woodson, AD Dolson, or President Witten just yet...

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

Someone is responsible for this complete pile of sh.. created. 

If you look at the problems with Indiana basketball since the late 90s you would need to hold probably 100+ people responsible for the current state of Indiana basketball. If like me you assume that Indiana would have made the tournament in 2020 then you would need to hold earth, the universe and god responsible for Indiana's current state. 

Edited by SawatchHoosier
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Exactly.  Let’s function in the real world. The last President is gone.  He may have deserved criticism but the new President seems to be engaged so let’s not panic about her yet.  We have new people in all the spots.  Woody was not a last resort hire.  That is a fictional statement.  There was more politics that played into this than the last resort idea.  

With regard to Woody, he has had unbelievable support from media and fans.  Before he coached a single game, everyone was patting him on the back and welcoming him “home.”   He kept the old players and made progress in recruiting.  His staff was viewed as first rate. Let’s be honest.  He was eating it up.  His press conferences have been a love fest.  After being in NY he looks to be caught up in that feeling of a warm embrace.  

The problem is they started playing games.  That love fest only lasts so long. Everyone is great until the product is .500 or less.  He is so used to everyone shouting “welcome home, Mike” and the media being 100% obsequious to him (not unusual in college towns) that he seems accustomed to that.  There is an out of touch quality to that when your team is not successful.  You’re in “pat me on the back mode” but your team is losing.

I think he can succeed.  He needs the right roster to run the right offense.  Treat it like NBA acquisitions.  You need some tough minded kids who can make shots and free throws.  Like in the NBA, look at the existing roster and figure out who has a role and purpose and where you have holes.  His defense is there and he said from day one that defense would click first.  The offense, just no.

He is not on the hot seat next year but it’s a big year for him.  You can’t come back with a performance like this year’s and expect the “welcome home” narrative to continue.  His recruiting performance is going to be critical this offseason.  You come back 10-10 next year, and he’s going to get blowback.  It’s incumbent on him to go get new players and win next year.  The fan base can accept sort of a free pass in your first year.  If this were year five of Archie, people would be going berserk.  So he has benefited from the initial glow.  If he demonstrates improvement next year, it will be a great sign and people will be happy that we are back on track.  He surely can do it.  Recruits seem to click with him.  He’s got good assistants.   But it doesn’t matter what I say, what anyone here says, what Quinn Buckner or Isaiah say.  It’s binary.  You win games or you lose them.  That will tell the tale.  Everything is still in front of him to win but he’s going to have do it.  

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Exactly.  Let’s function in the real world. The last President is gone.  He may have deserved criticism but the new President seems to be engaged so let’s not panic about her yet.  We have new people in all the spots.  Woody was not a last resort hire.  That is a fictional statement.  There was more politics that played into this than the last resort idea.  

With regard to Woody, he has had unbelievable support from media and fans.  Before he coached a single game, everyone was patting him on the back and welcoming him “home.”   He kept the old players and made progress in recruiting.  His staff was viewed as first rate. Let’s be honest.  He was eating it up.  His press conferences have been a love fest.  After being in NY he looks to be caught up in that feeling of a warm embrace.  

The problem is they started playing games.  That love fest only lasts so long. Everyone is great until the product is .500 or less.  He is so used to everyone shouting “welcome home, Mike” and the media being 100% obsequious to him (not unusual in college towns) that he seems accustomed to that.  There is an out of touch quality to that when your team is not successful.  You’re in “pat me on the back mode” but your team is losing.

I think he can succeed.  He needs the right roster to run the right offense.  Treat it like NBA acquisitions.  You need some tough minded kids who can make shots and free throws.  Like in the NBA, look at the existing roster and figure out who has a role and purpose and where you have holes.  His defense is there and he said from day one that defense would click first.  The offense, just no.

He is not on the hot seat next year but it’s a big year for him.  You can’t come back with a performance like this year’s and expect the “welcome home” narrative to continue.  His recruiting performance is going to be critical this offseason.  You come back 10-10 next year, and he’s going to get blowback.  It’s incumbent on him to go get new players and win next year.  The fan base can accept sort of a free pass in your first year.  If this were year five of Archie, people would be going berserk.  So he has benefited from the initial glow.  If he demonstrates improvement next year, it will be a great sign and people will be happy that we are back on track.  He surely can do it.  Recruits seem to click with him.  He’s got good assistants.   But it doesn’t matter what I say, what anyone here says, what Quinn Buckner or Isaiah say.  It’s binary.  You win games or you lose them.  That will tell the tale.  Everything is still in front of him to win but he’s going to have do it.  

A tale of reality. I like it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

Just curious what a great coach does vs bad? 
watched every game of Sectional 8.  Really impressed with coaches 

Most fans play the result 

Imho every coach knows X&O 

Great: One that can get more out of players than expected. Can do more with less.

Good: meshes well. Does decent with players and recruits. Generally stays above water level.