Armaan Franklin

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I think Franklin likes Purdue and Xavier more than IU. 

I think Purdue and Xavier like Franklin more than IU.

Don't get me wrong...I think IU would absolutely take him if there's need and room.  I just think IU has more need at the 2-guard than a combo guard spot.  I don't see him beating out what IU has at the point for awhile and IU is looking for a more pure shooter at the 2.

Based on what I'm observing, Miller is considerably more interested in Newman as a shooter, although I don't think he's outworking Painter on Newman.  It's pretty obvious that Matt really wants Newman, which really makes me want IU to get him. :P

Keeping him away from Purdue isn't a great reason to get the kid. I think we have been pretty luke warm on him from the start. I don't think we have prioritized him in such a way that I would think Franklin should want to put us as his top choice. If he choose to go to IU that is great...and would likely speak highly to the momentum in the state that we are creating more so than any fit or effort in recruiting we have done.

Considering Archie took who he wanted when he wanted them in his first year of recruitment....I'm not worried about whether a kid chooses Purdue. If a kid chooses Purdue... cool. Based on results only. Archie and his staff gets who he wants. Will that change? Probably. But after the first year I'm not worried at all about what Painter is doing. 

16 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Considering Archie took who he wanted when he wanted them in his first year of recruitment....I'm not worried about whether a kid chooses Purdue. If a kid chooses Purdue... cool. Based on results only. Archie and his staff gets who he wants. Will that change? Probably. But after the first year I'm not worried at all about what Painter is doing. 

Indeed...the excitement level isn’t just with us fans...I think it’s with the kids too! I know every kid is different...some just want to move away to play...some have a school they grew up loving...but I think Archie has put Indiana as a cool trendy exciting place for kids again...and when the school finishes the upgrades for the ball team...it will be second to none experience.

12 hours ago, ADegenerate said:

I'll be rooting for him where ever he goes. I always root for the player over the institution so best of luck to him.  

Nope...can't root for him at Purdue. 

I don't wish the kid ill and I sure don't wish physical harm to him like a spurned Kensucky fan might, but neither do I want to see him have great success at the expense of IU.

43 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

New and different info on visits. 

Kinda sounds like Xavier has fallen off the map, Purdue is getting the last visit and he wants to decide very soon.  My best SWAG: IU 5% Purdue 95%.  Something big is going to have to happen to change his mind.

What’s the consensus here? Are we happy to take this kid with other PG offers still out there? Or do we secretly hope we miss because we want and think we can get a bigger fish? Don’t mean to make it sound like we don’t care about Franklin since he appears to be headed to Purdue. But I don’t get to watch these kids much being in KY. 

1 hour ago, kyhoosier29 said:

What’s the consensus here? Are we happy to take this kid with other PG offers still out there? Or do we secretly hope we miss because we want and think we can get a bigger fish? Don’t mean to make it sound like we don’t care about Franklin since he appears to be headed to Purdue. But I don’t get to watch these kids much being in KY. 

I want a higher ranked prospect. There's no guarantee we'll get one of those kids, but I don't want us to settle with a borderline 4-star combo guard. Good combo guards are dime a dozen. If he's much more of a PG than a SG, then it'd be a different story. I wouldn't lose sleep over Franklin. 

1 hour ago, kyhoosier29 said:

It's a tough call without knowing what the staff knows, but personally, assuming Romeo is a  one-year player, Brandon Newman is a much bigger need than Armaan Franklin.  Just guessing, IU is in a good position with at least 1-2 players they need more.  On the front line, I'm actually starting to worry that it's going to get too crowded to take everyone that IU is in position to possibly get.

Franklin is a nice player, but this early in the game with all the other possibilities out there, I can't see how IU can say yes.  He's probably more of a "we like you, but check back with us later" guy.

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I'm not going to pretend he isn't still a good player just because some schmoes at the ranking service saw a new flavor of the month. I don't think this changes anything with our recruitment of him.

He is a good player.  It's possible that he's not a great player though and as a combo guard, I question as to whether he's the best fit/need right now.

Archived