Armaan Franklin

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm not dialed in and certainly don't have any of the contacts that some have. What I do have is 40 years of watching hoops and about 25 years of following IU hoops recruiting. What Archie has been able to accomplish in 17 months of recruiting is nothing short of phenomenal in my opinion....given the circumstances and given the competition in recruiting. 

I'm not saying blind allegiance time...but I think this staff does deserve the benefit of the doubt on who they see fit and how those verbals come about. Franklin, Newman, anyone....as long as we get TJD and Brooks does anything else really matter? To me it doesn't.

I agree with you I have been following the hoosiers and recruiting for over 50 years. Would read the indy star about the high school games and players. Once about every 3 months they would have maybe 50 words about  the kids that were going to play with the hoosiers. So much info today hard to say what is accurate. Blind allegiance is not what I am about. This is the first coach since knight that seems not to have his head up his ass. Before the romeo commit some people said they would rather have a high 3 star indiana kid than a 4 star from another state. As coachss has said rankings are not always the best way to judge. Archie and staff obviously more basketball knowledge than an assembly half full of basketball say fans. I have seen franklin play and in my limited vision I can see a promising young player

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Indykev said:

Sorry if already posted.

"One of the top mid range and off the dribble scorers in the class of 2019"

"By the standards of today's college game, Franklin is a totally functional and useful guard. What that means is that he's probably more of a natural two guard but he handles the ball well enough to play some at the point and he's big enough that you could play him as a small forward in a small ball lineup.

Franklin is adept at creating his shot off the dribble, has a great frame for finishing around the rim and he is a good pull-up jump. shooter and mid range scorer.

Defensively he has good effort, good awareness and he's likely to be a steady performer who gradually develops into a valuable and consistent upperclassman."

I was in the Newman / Ramsey camp but would be fine with Franklin. Agree that Archie wants an extra ball handler.

1 minute ago, Reacher said:

"One of the top mid range and off the dribble scorers in the class of 2019"

"By the standards of today's college game, Franklin is a totally functional and useful guard. What that means is that he's probably more of a natural two guard but he handles the ball well enough to play some at the point and he's big enough that you could play him as a small forward in a small ball lineup.

Franklin is adept at creating his shot off the dribble, has a great frame for finishing around the rim and he is a good pull-up jump. shooter and mid range scorer.

Defensively he has good effort, good awareness and he's likely to be a steady performer who gradually develops into a valuable and consistent upperclassman."

I was in the Newman / Ramsey camp but would be fine with Franklin. Agree that Archie wants an extra ball handler.

That sounds like the profile of a player that would be a great fit in Archie’s system.

3 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

That sounds like the profile of a player that would be a great fit in Archie’s system.

Could be like Schoochie Smith. Oddly enough, they are/were both ranked 133 by 247 composite.

https://247sports.com/Player/Armaan-Franklin-46048921/

https://247sports.com/Player/Scoochie-Smith-21059/high-school-33449

I'd take a career like that from Franklin for sure.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/scoochie-smith-1.html

26 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Could be like Schoochie Smith. Oddly enough, they are/were both ranked 133 by 247 composite.

https://247sports.com/Player/Armaan-Franklin-46048921/

https://247sports.com/Player/Scoochie-Smith-21059/high-school-33449

I'd take a career like that from Franklin for sure.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/scoochie-smith-1.html

Good find.

26 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Are u saying that the coach just might know the type of player that fits his system better than us on the message boards? It is not always about stars and rankings

I’m definitely a star chaser, but agree with everyone else that Archie should 100% get the benefit of the doubt.  He’s done a stellar job of recruiting up to this point.

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

If he picks us we are getting a very good 4 year player that we will enjoy watching. If he goes to PU he will be a thorn in our side

As would Newman.  I just think Newman is a better fit and if Franklin goes to PU I think we land Newman which is more ideal IMO.  I doubt both go to PU.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

How about OG which was not even in the top 200

I'm not sure he helps your argument.  He was the 8th or 9th man on a Sweet 16 team and then barely played as a sophomore.  Again, there is a reason why Duke, UK, KU, and UNC are elite year in and year out.  It's because they consistently land high ranked players.  The rankings aren't always right but they are more often than not.

12 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I mention Justin Smith multiple times on the old board stating how he stole the show but since I’m not really well known on here people just kind of just dismissed me 

Take Illinois out of your user name and people will take you more seriously. 😀

2 hours ago, Cutter said:

I know TDH said franklin and newman won't play together. Just my opinion but I believe that IU would take both or Ramsey as well. I hope franklin commits to IU soon with newman visiting this weekend if I read correctly should be interesting.

If Franklin commits does that mean that Newman will cancel his visit 

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I think most players are happy and won't transfer but I think a guy like Smith or Hunter if they have a great season might go pro.

Honestly, if both Hunter and Smith come back...it would be hard to see where we play Brooks. We have a lot more depth in the front court and wings then we do in the back court. TJD should slide into the 5 nicely. I have to think by next year Race and Forrester and Moore will be contributing. Davis might still be here and back up the 5. Either one of them is going to move on or Smith or Hunter will have to go pro to make room for Brooks. If I had my guess I'd say Smith will be at the stage to throw his hat in the draft based on his improvement last year and where I can see him this year. Hunter has all the tools though. I just am not sure he will get enough looks to showcase him but if he comes back as a sophomore....watch out I think he leads the team in scoring and would make a strong case to go pro.

2 hours ago, Cutter said:

I know TDH said franklin and newman won't play together. Just my opinion but I believe that IU would take both or Ramsey as well. I hope franklin commits to IU soon with newman visiting this weekend if I read correctly should be interesting.

I think we could easily fit two guards on this roster if Romeo goes.  Al and Green are still question marks. I think they are getting better and should be able to contribute a lot more this year but let's be real. Romeo is our only proven commodity back there. We don't know at all if those two can lead a team and will take that next step. Phinesee I think is going to be a great leader especially years 2-4. I can easily see us adding two of the three of Newman, Franklin, and Ramsey. None of them play the same game...and all I think complement Robert's game and each others. I will say this. Franklin is a couple years away from being a starter. To me he could easily be in a class with Ramsey who likely is looking to be a 1 or 2 year player (potentially). Even though they don't play the same Franklin and Newman's time lines and playing time would likely overlap. Given Damezi is already on the roster I think he may actually duplicates Franklin and Newman both all in one. At this point Ramsey is still the guy that would have the biggest impact on the team at the guard spot. I'd take him and either of the other two easily. I still prefer Newman's shooting over Franklins all around game...but I'm not going to be sad at all. I think two guards in this class make a lot of sense...especially one that can help at the point. 

28 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Honestly, if both Hunter and Smith come back...it would be hard to see where we play Brooks. We have a lot more depth in the front court and wings then we do in the back court. TJD should slide into the 5 nicely. I have to think by next year Race and Forrester and Moore will be contributing. Davis might still be here and back up the 5. Either one of them is going to move on or Smith or Hunter will have to go pro to make room for Brooks. If I had my guess I'd say Smith will be at the stage to throw his hat in the draft based on his improvement last year and where I can see him this year. Hunter has all the tools though. I just am not sure he will get enough looks to showcase him but if he comes back as a sophomore....watch out I think he leads the team in scoring and would make a strong case to go pro.

I think we could easily fit two guards on this roster if Romeo goes.  Al and Green are still question marks. I think they are getting better and should be able to contribute a lot more this year but let's be real. Romeo is our only proven commodity back there. We don't know at all if those two can lead a team and will take that next step. Phinesee I think is going to be a great leader especially years 2-4. I can easily see us adding two of the three of Newman, Franklin, and Ramsey. None of them play the same game...and all I think complement Robert's game and each others. I will say this. Franklin is a couple years away from being a starter. To me he could easily be in a class with Ramsey who likely is looking to be a 1 or 2 year player (potentially). Even though they don't play the same Franklin and Newman's time lines and playing time would likely overlap. Given Damezi is already on the roster I think he may actually duplicates Franklin and Newman both all in one. At this point Ramsey is still the guy that would have the biggest impact on the team at the guard spot. I'd take him and either of the other two easily. I still prefer Newman's shooting over Franklins all around game...but I'm not going to be sad at all. I think two guards in this class make a lot of sense...especially one that can help at the point. 

One of coachss or 0708 said they thought IU would take both franklin and newman.  I guess that might apply to Ramsey also. That has been some time ago when it eas said.

2 hours ago, CoachSS said:

Hearing the decision is quite hard for him...

I wonder why he feels he must decide now and not take more time if he is having a hard time.  Does he just want it over with?  Is he abiding by a deadline he has personally set?  Does he believe spots are about to be taken and he wants to make sure he gets the chair he wants before the music stops?  

Archived