Armaan Franklin

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Can you share it please and thanks 

It was actually an instgram post from last month.  Armaan and TJD were at an event and TJD said "Indiana needs to show this guy some love".  This would seem to indicate the two have a positive relationship.

I thought it was screencapped in this thread (?) but is definitely included in the thread on AF at BTB (posted by 'Stromboli').

4 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

It was actually an instgram post from last month.  Armaan and TJD were at an event and TJD said "Indiana needs to show this guy some love".  This would seem to indicate the two have a positive relationship.

I thought it was screencapped in this thread (?) but is definitely included in the thread on AF at BTB (posted by 'Stromboli').

Thank you very much. I did not hear or see that. 

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

am not so sure it is an out of state recruit in question.  We are in vere very good shape with 5 or 6 guys. None of them want to be odd man out. 1 spot is all but filled.  The second i believe is almost as close a sure thing. That leaves 1 spot in the fall for 3 or 4 guys that might really want tobe here.

I think a couple schools are going to win our consolation prizes. 

That "sure thing" isn't the kid that's a lock that said he isn't a lock for IU??

12 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Yeah that was me, I generally post over at BTB.  Trayce went "live" on instagram while he was at that event in Elkhart or Michigan or something.  It was he and Armaan together, looked like they were roommates at the event.  The comment by Trayce was thrown in with a bunch of stuff as people were throwing out questions, and those two were complimentary of each other.  Someone asked where Armaan was going or something like that, and Trayce volunteered something like "y'all need to show him some love to Indiana."  

The two main takeaways for me were that 1.) he was recruiting for IU consistent with everything else we've heard, and 2.) he likes Armaan enough to want to play with him in college.  Now before anyone goes and makes this the smoking gun, understand that Trayce and most of these guys build each other up on social media.  Always doing shout-outs and calling each other the GOAT or bucket-getter or whatever.  Trayce and DJ Carton did a lot of this before DJ committed to OSU, now not so much.  He did the same with Anthony Harris a few weeks ago.  Lots of other guys he's met on the AAU circuit.  Also, all of this was before official visits started.

Aaaanyway.  I hope we get good news from Armaan today.  If you squint a little bit, you can see a lot of Robert Johnson in the way Armaan plays.  If Armaan can become a dependable defender and score 1400 points at Indiana, then this would be a major get.  Honestly if Archie keeps recruiting at this level, I don't know that Armaan will get enough playing time to get to 1400 points, but I think a RoJo type player would be a reasonable expectation/hope.  

As for who plays the 2/ scoring guard position in '19, I'm guessing we'll see some Hunter and Anderson filling in there.  In fact, having Anderson on the team is what's keeping me fine with not landing a shooter like Newman.  They are both 39%ish guys from 3 (EYBL stats), and Anderson has a lot to his game as well.  And another couple inches of height to work with the packline.  If you've ever watched Damezi play, he's pretty sneaky.  He didn't score over 2,000 in HS by being predictable.  He breaks free to get open and gets creative to take his shots.  With a logjam at the 3, having some room at the 2 to get a talent like Damezi might be good.

As for the Trayce comments about not being a lock.... what do you expect him to say.  I can't believe we're worried about this.  He's taking his official visits, of course he's not going to tell some reporter that he's a lock to Indiana.  All of these kids are learning how to handle interviews, and I'm always pretty impressed with how well they do.  

14 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

Yeah that was me, I generally post over at BTB.  Trayce went "live" on instagram while he was at that event in Elkhart or Michigan or something.  It was he and Armaan together, looked like they were roommates at the event.  The comment by Trayce was thrown in with a bunch of stuff as people were throwing out questions, and those two were complimentary of each other.  Someone asked where Armaan was going or something like that, and Trayce volunteered something like "y'all need to show him some love to Indiana."  

The two main takeaways for me were that 1.) he was recruiting for IU consistent with everything else we've heard, and 2.) he likes Armaan enough to want to play with him in college.  Now before anyone goes and makes this the smoking gun, understand that Trayce and most of these guys build each other up on social media.  Always doing shout-outs and calling each other the GOAT or bucket-getter or whatever.  Trayce and DJ Carton did a lot of this before DJ committed to OSU, now not so much.  He did the same with Anthony Harris a few weeks ago.  Lots of other guys he's met on the AAU circuit.  Also, all of this was before official visits started.

Aaaanyway.  I hope we get good news from Armaan today.  If you squint a little bit, you can see a lot of Robert Johnson in the way Armaan plays.  If Armaan can become a dependable defender and score 1400 points at Indiana, then this would be a major get.  Honestly if Archie keeps recruiting at this level, I don't know that Armaan will get enough playing time to get to 1400 points, but I think a RoJo type player would be a reasonable expectation/hope.  

As for who plays the 2/ scoring guard position in '19, I'm guessing we'll see some Hunter and Anderson filling in there.  In fact, having Anderson on the team is what's keeping me fine with not landing a shooter like Newman.  They are both 39%ish guys from 3 (EYBL stats), and Anderson has a lot to his game as well.  And another couple inches of height to work with the packline.  If you've ever watched Damezi play, he's pretty sneaky.  He didn't score over 2,000 in HS by being predictable.  He breaks free to get open and gets creative to take his shots.  With a logjam at the 3, having some room at the 2 to get a talent like Damezi might be good.

As for the Trayce comments about not being a lock.... what do you expect him to say.  I can't believe we're worried about this.  He's taking his official visits, of course he's not going to tell some reporter that he's a lock to Indiana.  All of these kids are learning how to handle interviews, and I'm always pretty impressed with how well they do.  

I’m like your points about Damezi and Hunter at the 2.  I could envision a nice mismatch there.

I see a lot of upside in his game and really like what he brings. I am very excited and can't wait for it to be official.  I was talking with an older IU fan about this and this recruitment and here has his response.  "I would love me some Jennifer Anniston, but I sure as hell not kicking Halle Berry out of my bed if she wants to be there."  BTW he is 88 years old!!

11 minutes ago, Hoosier Guy said:

This is what happens with the Crystal Ball. It’s the reason I hate it so much. People switch their picks at the last minute to say they were right

But they are right? How can you expect them to know before the kids know? Not taking a jab but what can they do? They’d never pick at all if they could only pick one pick...

42 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

They will say they want Newman more anyway. For some crazy reason I went over the GBI and all the talk is Franklin will play at IU and saw no chance at minutes and probably a red-shirt at PU. Gold colored glasses. We have plenty here that would be the same way.

Yes, I noticed that too.  When purdue has a good team, I've noticed that posters on IU boards generally acknowledge it.  That place (B&G) will never concede anything good about IU (Archie is already a bad coach, Romeo is way over rated, etc) - it's pretty classic little brother behavior.

17 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Yes, I noticed that too.  When purdue has a good team, I've noticed that posters on IU boards generally acknowledge it.  That place (B&G) will never concede anything good about IU (Archie is already a bad coach, Romeo is way over rated, etc) - it's pretty classic little brother behavior.

I saw that Romeo is so overrated but since he is a 1 and done Franklin should get minutes. Both were from the same poster.

If this commitment came third after KBJ and TJD then we would all be excited...so I'm not going to worry about the order these kids commit but just be very thankful that if we continue to get kids of this caliber IU will have very competitive teams and some exciting games come March. Can't ask for much more. Franklin might not play right away but he is going to be a nice contributor for this team especially by his junior and senior years. Gone are the years worrying who we will bring off the bench when someone gets in foul trouble or there is an injury or illness. Archie is building himself a very deep team that should push each other in practice and it should only help them come time for games.

44 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

But they are right? How can you expect them to know before the kids know? Not taking a jab but what can they do? They’d never pick at all if they could only pick one pick...

Don’t understand the hand wringing over the crystal ball. There’s no prize for a correct prediction. Just use it as a barometer for what these guys are hearing and nothing more. 

Archived