Armaan Franklin

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Hoping for bigger fish myself, but if Archie welcomes his commitment, I won't complain.

I think I feel the same. I hate being negative if a kid wants to be here but I really want a class of TJD, KB, and Bouknight. If I am being greedy throw in a side of Isiah Stewart, just because we can 

Just thinking out loud here. I'm sure at some point IF the staff prioritized other recruits over Franklin....they were on the phone over the weekend with those recruits or their families/coaches,etc...saying hey. We need a decision or time to part ways because this player could be saying yes by Monday. I know in my recruiting experience I would do that. Not sure if that's what staffs do or not. 

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Just thinking out loud here. I'm sure at some point IF the staff prioritized other recruits over Franklin....they were on the phone over the weekend with those recruits or their families/coaches,etc...saying hey. We need a decision or time to part ways because this player could be saying yes by Monday. I know in my recruiting experience I would do that. Not sure if that's what staffs do or not. 

Depends on how important the prospect is to the program (e.g., open door for Romeo), and the message generally is little different, and is usually one of 1) "we really like you and think you will fit in perfectly, you have a spot here and a real chance to start. Hope you can let us know soon, we have to keep recruiting." or 2) After giving the recruit the offer, recruiting keeps going, without any communication about that. From personal experience, have seen both. 

1 hour ago, CoachSS said:

Franklin represents a player that I would believe is a very valuable 4-year pickup. 

Regardless of where he goes, I don't expect a huge freshman year but I think he can be a very good role player from his sophomore-senior seasons. 

My sense is some fans have cooled on him because of his "ranking" (I hate rankings, personally). But, I'm pretty high on him. FWIW. 

Always great to get personal impressions, especially from a coach.

Many posters rely on rankings because that's what we have, and with composite rankings they provide a sort of overall 'scouting' review -- it's hard to know, though, how much has gone into a ranking, how often the prospect was seen, etc. There are guys who aren't ranked or as well as they should be because of missed time due to injury, lack of playing or playing in big tournaments in AAU, etc., guys who don't have perceived high level athleticism and whose ranking takes a hit when athleticism is a key factor, etc. 

I think it's helpful to keep in mind that at least outside of the 5-star guys, ranking should be viewed with a grain of salt. When a coach who has seen a player offers an opinion, to me, that is just as good as a "ranking."

Archived