Armaan Franklin

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think the chemistry problems was way over blown and by listening to everyone since the season ended they got along well.

If you mean Juwan talking about Romeo, I agree. But that brings in to play, if Romeo wasn't the issue who was?  Of course the question is still out there, was there a chemistry issue? I say, where there is smoke, there is fire. And just to be a total A..., I'll say the 94 year old Nun in the IU locker room is JS's dad! 

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

Color me confused on the chemistry issue being solved?

Are we saying that of the 5 players we lost the chemistry issues went with them, or are we saying the remaining players made up like Taylor Swift sending cookies to Katy Perry? If that's the case, I'm still worried about the 94 year old Nun!

The chemistry issues were solved towards the end of the season. Then came the winning streak. What happened did not involve Romeo 

5 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

And the other side here is health and chemistry. Really think that’s being understated. We were 12-2. We went through multiple injuries and missed games from key players, and had the collapse with internal chemistry issues. 

Now we have chemistry (by all accounts),health, what could be a real veteran locker - room leader and fire guy, and remember Green was really coming on at the end of the season. Plus Davis is coming in fit. There’s reason for cautious optimism 

You didn’t even mention a 6’10’ McDonald’s All-American big. 

13 hours ago, Drroogh said:

If you mean Juwan talking about Romeo, I agree. But that brings in to play, if Romeo wasn't the issue who was?  Of course the question is still out there, was there a chemistry issue? I say, where there is smoke, there is fire. And just to be a total A..., I'll say the 94 year old Nun in the IU locker room is JS's dad! 

I am going to take the word of the players who were actually in the locker room over what some rumors that were spreading on the internet.  According to the players there were no problems in the locker room and Morgan said this was the closes team he has ever been on.

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am going to take the word of the players who were actually in the locker room over what some rumors that were spreading on the internet.  According to the players there were no problems in the locker room and Morgan said this was the closes team he has ever been on.

What do you expect him, or any other player to say?

There was definitely "problems" in the locker room. Those "problems" eventually were put behind everyone, and they began worrying about basketball. Unfortunately, it was too little too late.

18 hours ago, Indykev said:

Whole staff and D.Anderson showed up to help the move. 

0612191343a.jpg

Curious about something. What is the building like  for players? I know there's a loophole where Kentucky gets around having a players only dorm by getting friends of players or in some cases relatives to live at dorm too to make sure the ratio works for NCAA. But is this building have things like Wildcat Lodge or is it straight dorm living?

17 minutes ago, ephul said:

There was definitely "problems" in the locker room. Those "problems" eventually were put behind everyone, and they began worrying about basketball. Unfortunately, it was too little too late.

Well since Morgan is no longer part of the team why would he come out and just lie about the situation.  I will believe him over a few on a message board that shared the rumors but you can believe anything you want.

18 minutes ago, ephul said:

"Well, there were a few problems that came up mid-season, but we came together and worked through them."

That's what I'd expect to hear from someone like JMo if there were problems.  Nobody inside is going to give the lurid, National Enquirer -esque details, but they'd acknowledge it and spin it as a positive. 

But instead it's all been straight, absolute, complete denials.

8 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I can’t picture the location.  Does anyone have a perspective shot of the building relative to AH or whatever it’s next to?  Is it nice inside?

To me it appears just West of Memorial.....can't remember the name of the old apartments that were there. But I'd be curious too. 

i still have to think 100% that behind the scenes stuff accounted for the horrible team play.  this team was too talented to look so out of sorts.  i'm sure some of the rumors are not true, and some are probably true, but exaggerated, etc., etc., but team chemistry was so so bad.  i always thought it involved Smith and Green, but admittedly, i could be completely wrong.  

Why does it seem like people are taking the "Completely guilty until proven completely innocent" outlook to the whole team chemistry issue?

Does it make you feel better about last season being able to attribute losses to some unforeseen strife?  Do you have something personal against one of the players commonly mentioned in such situations? Do you just like the idea of drama?

There's one objective fact that keeps getting completely glossed over in favor of the mysterious "team chemistry" issue: injuries.  Like it or not, we had a metric assload of injuries last year. 

I can see the typical responses: "Next player needs to step up". 

Only so many holes you can plug at once, and some that can't be plugged.  We basically opened the season missing DeRon and Jerome.  Race was out for a big chunk of the season.  Rob missed the start of the heart of conference play.  DeRon came back, but was maybe 75% of what he could be.  Romeo was at maybe 85% most of the year.  He didn't lose any time, but there were at least two times I can remember Morgan leaving games due to pain in his repaired shoulder; yes, he came back, but what did that do to his effectiveness? Even if it only reduced his effectiveness on one particular move, we played a lot of very close games; one move by one player could have been the difference. 

Also, there were players recruited to play immediately: Romeo, Rob, Jerome. There were players recruited that may have the ability, but weren't ready to contribute regularly: Damezi.  If a player needs a year or two to develop, they need a year or two to develop.  As much of an instant-gratification world as we live in nowadays, some things still take time. 

"Well, injuries didn't stop Michigan State or 'Insert Program X here'"

Tom Izzo has had more than two offseasons to build roster depth. 

"You can't use injuries or the fact that Archie has only been here two years as an excuse."

And you can use team chemistry as an excuse? Why? Because it gives you the illusion that there was something controllable that occurred, which allows you to place the blame on specific individuals for either causing it or not preventing it? Running around thinking "It's this person's fault! They're responsible!" sounds like making an excuse to me. 

Look, everyone can believe whatever they choose to believe is true.  I don't care one bit.  It just grates on me that it appears that some people are looking for controllable, identifiable reasons that were the the sole (or at least primary) cause of last season, when there might not be any.  Could there have been some chemistry issues? Sure, but I don't think we had any more than any other program.  And if we did, that's only one tile in the mosaic of reasons that contributed to last season. 

End soapbox.

1 hour ago, ephul said:

Note to my fellow Hoosier Sports Nation members. Over the years, we have been blessed by guys who I said long ago : "When ___________ speaks, it's wise to pay attention. "

Birdman was perhaps the first I said this about.  He has since moved on to become the head basketball coach at Crispus Attucks.

ephul is one of the ones that when he speaks, it is wise to pay attention.There are others, that you know about.  ephul has been with us for a long long time. And just like Birdman, does not post often. Some of you may not recognize him, as he changed his user name for HSN 3.0. 

Just as Birdman had entree to all things IUBB, much the same can be said of ephul. 

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Well since Morgan is no longer part of the team why would he come out and just lie about the situation.  I will believe him over a few on a message board that shared the rumors but you can believe anything you want.

What is gained by burning bridges and talking about turmoil from a past season? Nothing is gained from spilling your guts to someone giving an interview, when the players in question are entering the draft, and/or still on the IU team. You're doing nothing but pissing off your previous teammates and coaches.

I wish he would've said something along the lines of, "yes, we dealt with some issues internally, but we fought through it and came out better because of it". The issues were so obvious, that people like myself can do nothing but laugh when he paints such a rosy picture of last season. Again, I don't blame him. He's trying to make the NBA. What good comes from stirring the pot?

You can believe the rosy scene that's been painted for you. But the reality is, there were issues. It affected play. You can choose not to believe it, that's fine. But to dismiss it because Juwan Morgan said everything and everyone was fantastic is laughable.

Stuff like this happens with a lot of teams. It's how quickly you can resolve those issues and get back to playing sound basketball.

4 minutes ago, ephul said:

What is gained by burning bridges and talking about turmoil from a past season? Nothing is gained from spilling your guts to someone giving an interview, when the players in question are entering the draft, and/or still on the IU team. You're doing nothing but pissing off your previous teammates and coaches.

I wish he would've said something along the lines of, "yes, we dealt with some issues internally, but we fought through it and came out better because of it". The issues were so obvious, that people like myself can do nothing but laugh when he paints such a rosy picture of last season. Again, I don't blame him. He's trying to make the NBA. What good comes from stirring the pot?

You can believe the rosy scene that's been painted for you. But the reality is, there were issues. It affected play. You can choose not to believe it, that's fine. But to dismiss it because Juwan Morgan said everything and everyone was fantastic is laughable.

Stuff like this happens with a lot of teams. It's how quickly you can resolve those issues and get back to playing sound basketball.

I am sure there were some problems but I still think the major problem was with injuries.  What upset me was the rumors that spread about Romeo and someone girl friend which could not be proved so why start those kind of rumors.

45 minutes ago, ephul said:

Not meant to quibble, but what Morgan said was Romeo was a great teammate. Romeo was not the problem, really, we should all leave it there.

There were locker room issues (not Romeo). They ultimately were resolved. There were also significant, pervasive and continuing injuries and concussion protocol and missed games by several key players. It is what it is.

10 minutes ago, Cutter said:

New apartments just across the street and west of the football stadium 

When I was a student at IU, back in the dark ages, Freshman were not allowed to live off campus. With rare exceptions. 

Question for you or anyone else.  Are these apartments considered part of IU ? 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

When I was a student at IU, back in the dark ages, Freshman were not allowed to live off campus. With rare exceptions. 

Good question and I don’t know the answer but I would like to know myself. Thinking a little more I am not sure but I do remember reading somewhere or seeing a sign that the administration office for this complex is on Arlington road or close to. So I am going to say private 

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

No they aren't. Just where IU pays to house players. You could live there. So many dorms closed is why TJD and Armaan get to live off campus this year. IU has bought out a few apartment building for the up coming year. So much so upper classmen are having a hard time finding housing.

Archived