Armaan Franklin

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

"During a holiday tournament last winter, when Cathedral faced Tindley, Franklin volunteered to guard Purdue signee Eric Hunter. He doubled his talented opponent up, holding Hunter to 15 points while scoring 30 of his own."

I love hearing that...another LOL @ the Smellermakers.

Thanks for posting this. I completely forgot about it. Welcome to IU Armaan!

12 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

The one thing I like about this is commitment is that it gives Archie a lot of ammo in future recruiting battles in state.  That is if you snooze on an IU offer you might end up in W. Lafayette for 4 years.  That would give me nightmares.

I thought you said getting Franklin was not a good move

I'll be honest, I wasn't as excited to see AF commit just because it would apparently kill our chances with Newman but I'm now more optimistic about the staff having more time/resources to land even better talent in Ramsey/Bouknight. 

I know some people (including myself) weren't as high on him because of the new 247/rivals rankings but don't forget that guys like Carson Edwards had a 247 composite listing him as a 3 star and he's obviously far from it.

Franklin sounds like he has all the foundational skills that Archie is looking for in a player and im excited to see how coach schilling develops his game. 

2 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I said we could do better and I think we would have landed Newman or Ramsey.

Gotta say I was on the same boat. I thought we could do better than Franklin or (and) Newman. However, I trust and support Coach Miller 110%; if he saw potential in certain players and was confident enough to get them on board, that's more than enough for me. I welcome Armaan wholeheartedly. He's a Hoosier now. 

1 minute ago, addictedtoIU said:

Gotta say I was on the same boat. I thought we could do better than Franklin or (and) Newman. However, I trust and support Coach Miller 110%; if he saw potential in certain players and was confident enough to get them on board, that's more than enough for me. I welcome Armaan wholeheartedly. He's a Hoosier now. 

Totally agree.  Rankings are hardly an exact science.

9 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

I also said Franklin would be great as a 4th guy in a 4 man class.  If we still get an impact guard along with TJD and Brooks it was probably the right call but if it's a 3 man class I think it was a mistake.  A really small one though.  

25 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I also said Franklin would be great as a 4th guy in a 4 man class.  If we still get an impact guard along with TJD and Brooks it was probably the right call but if it's a 3 man class I think it was a mistake.  A really small one though.  

One really never knows how things will eventually turn out.  Nor can we measure the heart within certain recruits.  There were some who questioned Victor Oladipo, when he committed to IU.  I remember it well.  ;)

Just now, milehiiu said:

One really never knows how things will eventually turn out.  Nor can we measure the heart within certain recruits.  There were some who questioned Victor Oladipo, when he committed to IU.  I remember it well.  ;)

Or Juwan Morgan. Who even as a freshmen helped us beat the 5 stars of Kentucky

I just think if we get Brooks he can give us the scoring we need for the 2 spot, which sets us up better to utilize a CG vs a straightforward SG (Franklin vs Newman).  This way we can play RP AF KB all at once, or any combination of 2 of those three, and not lose any offense.

3 minutes ago, CapnRon said:

I just think if we get Brooks he can give us the scoring we need for the 2 spot, which sets us up better to utilize a CG vs a straightforward SG (Franklin vs Newman).  This way we can play RP AF KB all at once, or any combination of 2 of those three, and not lose any offense.

If we aren’t worried about scoring probably play Durham at 2. Green if we want scoring. 

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

You can't play 13 guys at the same time.  If Franklin ends up being a solid 4 year rotation guy, it's a great commitmrnt.

Still seems like some people want every recruit to be Top 25.  

I think you're basically right here but there is a little wiggle room if you want to argue it. The only issue at all that I have have with Archie at this point in time is 3pt concerns and the types of players that he's going after doesn't do anything to alleviate that concern of mine. Franklin shoots it around 35 and was at 29 on the travel circuit. Newman fills a potentially major hole that I could see needing filled in the future. Outside of Fitzner we don't have a single top level shooter and we won't be bringing one in either. Romeo and Anderson shot around 37% and Newman was the only one that we're linked with?

I'm just going to have to get used to having not having multiple players on the floor shooting 40 and over and even more on the bench :( 

Good god. That 2015/2016 team had 7 that shot over 42%. I'm gonna cry. I hope this defense crap is worth it! 😡

31 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

You can't play 13 guys at the same time.  If Franklin ends up being a solid 4 year rotation guy, it's a great commitmrnt.

Still seems like some people want every recruit to be Top 25.  

I think that it is important to build a team looking toward the future. A mix of guys that can contribute from year 1 through 4. Archie is targeting some guys that will play right away and likely only be here for a year or two (Hunter, Romeo, TJD, Brooks) but he knows not every class he is going to have players like that coming in that will be instant contributors or moving on in a couple years. Thus it will be important where we don't have a class that can contribute right away (perhaps the 2020 class for example) then we will be grooming and developing guys like Franklin and Anderson and Race to be an upper classmen and provide that Juwan Morgan role for the team. These things are very important and honestly imo something that hurt us under Crean. We would have these couple years between good years where we would lose a lot of our scoring and young talent and not have groomed players to step up and be ready when we didn't have any immediate impact players coming in. To me making sure after Romeo and Hunter and a few other high impact freshman/sophs are gone we have guys ready to step in if the in coming class isn't loaded with B1G ready talent is a big deal and I like how Archie is making sure we get plenty from both baskets.

5 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

I think you're basically right here but there is a little wiggle room if you want to argue it. The only issue at all that I have have with Archie at this point in time is 3pt concerns and the types of players that he's going after doesn't do anything to alleviate that concern of mine. Franklin shoots it around 35 and was at 29 on the travel circuit. Newman fills a potentially major hole that I could see needing filled in the future. Outside of Fitzner we don't have a single top level shooter and we won't be bringing one in either. Romeo and Anderson shot around 37% and Newman was the only one that we're linked with?

I'm just going to have to get used to having not having multiple players on the floor shooting 40 and over and even more on the bench :( 

I think you’re worrying too much about it.  Those are all high school stats.  The kids will develop.  On top of that who knows how kids will perform from high school to college.  Some that didn’t shoot it too well will develop into good shooters, and some of the ones who did shoot it well won’t adjust to college level defense.  Let it play out before we complain about not having enough shooters.  I think we’ll be pleasantly surprised this year, and I think we have a good mix of shooters and people who can go and get their own shot.

I'm not a Delaney fan after the Trey Lyles stuff but he does have some juice it would appear in Indy hoops scene. Newman and Franklin are ballpark same type of players...but one could lead us to future higher profile recruits via who his coach is. Never a bad time to develop those relationships. Just my 2 cents. Anyway...Franklin is a long 6'5 guard who appears to enjoy playing defense (shut Purdue's Hunter down). Give me those kids all day long!

Archived