Purdue Post Game Thread

KDB

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

💙

Purdue didn’t play hard enough defense to foul. Honestly they let us get anything we wanted today. It was matador defense on the pick n roll. Some team with excellent guards in the tourney will destroy them if they don’t figure something out.

12 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Purdue didn’t play hard enough defense to foul. Honestly they let us get anything we wanted today. It was matador defense on the pick n roll. Some team with excellent guards in the tourney will destroy them if they don’t figure something out.

A 19-7 foul discrepancy through the first 39 minutes simply does not happen if the officiating is consistent.  Does not matter how soft a team plays.  

It means every call on a contested rebound or loose ball is going against the same team.

• Like 8

2 Takeaways for me.

First, the fight is back. Purdue is THE litmus test. This year, we beat them at home and lost there by 2. We have not won in Mackey since we curb-stomped them in the 2012-13 season (97-60!). Since then, Purdue has beaten us in Mackey by an average of 13 points. The closest we got was an 8-point loss. Tonight we lost by 2 to a Purdue team that is better than average (over the last 10 years). Yes, the refs jobbed us, but that is to be expected when a ranked team plays at home.

Second, XJ is a dog. Woodson has been hardest on him all year. This is the RMK school of leaning on your best player to make him lead the rest. XJ's growth as a player has been tremendous. The culture on this team has changed. We will see the results in year two and three. 

CMW hasn't given up on this team and I don't think they are going to lay down in the BTT. 

• Like 9

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

To me Galloway is better suited coming off the bench.  To me if he is a starter your team is probably not going to be a great team.  I hope TJD and XJ comes back and I don't mind if RP and Kopp comes back..

Starters.

PG XJ.

2- Bates

3 - Kopp

4- ?

5- TJD.

Bench.

PG- RP.

2- JHS.

3- Galloway

4- Geronimo

5- Duncomb.

I think we need to go out and get a 6'9 stretch 4 who is long and athletic.

JHS is a day one starter. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dgambill said:

oh for sure. This team is 3 and out. I dont see any Big Ten team making a deep run. But you know one will. I see a lot of first round losses.

• Like 1

Positives from the game:

• XJ - he was phenomenal 
  • Kopp - double figures two of his last three and looks more confident, poor results against RU aside
  • Free throws - we only shot ten, but we made them all. When is the last time that happened?
  • Limited turnovers
  • Saw some great glimpses of how I think/hope we can play forward with a perimeter oriented team

Negatives from the game:

• Timeout - I didn't mind when we took three of the four, I think it did a good job of helping us throughout the game but the first one we took ~30 seconds after a media timeout because Woody was pissed about a missed boxout was just a dumb timeout to take. That wasn't the game to make a point like that. 
  • Rebounding - we did a bad jump of rebounding, no other way around it
  • Late game execution - I thought we did a good job, especially with no timeouts, of putting ourselves in good situations late but we did a bad job of executing: X missed lob to TJD, Stewart missed a wide open three, Kopp had TJD open but threw a lazy pass

I generally don't have many complaints about X, but one growth area I'd like to see from him next week and next year is to use his explosiveness more. He is one of, if not the most, explosive guards in the B1G and I just don't feel like he uses it enough even in this great stretch he's had. He's not quite on a Troy or Vic level athletically, but he isn't terribly far off, and I don't feel like he is looking to ruin guys nights when he drives very often like those two were. Poster dunks, especially from a guard, can be momentum and attitude shifters. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Rebounding - we did a bad jump of rebounding, no other way around it

Particularly allowing their offensive rebounds, although if you go back and watch, a lot of those were because of all the off the ball pushing Purdue does. There was one where two of our guys were shoved to the ground and they got the offensive rebound and hit a 3. I think they had 15 second chance points...

• Like 2

When one of our guards gets in the lane, we were deadly.  They could get an easy shot or feed inside with great effectiveness.  And I’m not just talking about yesterday but the defender will leave Kopp in the corner.  Sometimes that’s the best read.  I’ve seen saying this for awhile but he’s very capable of hitting that shot.  We saw it yesterday.  It diversifies our offense and if we look for it, it will relieve pressure on Trayce. I think we’d be that much better. The season isn’t over.  We have time to take it up a notch.  That’s what Kopp was brought here to do and he’s capable.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 4