Big Ten Officiating

48 minutes ago, hoopsta007 said:

I’d take it to the absurd level that we need to email the IU administration to consider leaving the B1G.  For whatever reason there are schools that are favored in Football and basketball and get a little extra “help”. We will be very hard pressed to ever recruit enough talent to overcome that. We need a spot where officials aren’t known personalities.  It was obvious before the game when Big Time Bo was announced as calling our game we were screwed

For 30 years all the teams  in the big ten probably complained how much favor we got from the refs. When I have watched these old games and was watching them with an unbias eye I realized how many calls we got especially in AH.

Edited by IU Scott

27 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

For 30 years all the games there big ten teams probably complained how much favor we got from the refs. When I have watched these old games and was watching them with an unbias eye I realized how many calls we got especially in AH.

That very well could be but my guess would be it hasn’t been that way since the Knight years. Would that be a fair assumption?  Hasn’t been that way for at least the last 20 years

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

For 30 years all the teams  in the big ten probably complained how much favor we got from the refs. When I have watched these old games and was watching them with an unbias eye I realized how many calls we got especially in AH.

What happened in the 1980's should not impact what is happening now.  Next thing you'll want is to eliminate the shot clock and the 3-point line.  You're probably one of hose guys that thinks the game was better back then.

Oh, wait, I'm responding to Scott when talking about the 80's.  :coffee:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

What happened in the 1980's should not impact what is happening now.  Next thing you'll want is to eliminate the shot clock and the 3-point line.  You're probably one of hose guys that thinks the game was better back then.

Oh, wait, I'm responding to Scott when talking about the 80's.  :coffee:

Well, not sure what a hose guy is… must be the kidney stones 😛

12 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

Officials are always going to be weary of calling fouls on Purdue in Mackey Arena because their fans go apesh*t every time they do. Literally every time. 

I think this plays a big part in it. It's not like the officials are Purdue fans or IU haters, it's just subconsciously they get used to the feedback from their calls and likely adjust accordingly.  

My main gripes with conference officiating:

1.  Inconsistent calls.  They allow roughhousing throughout in the paint, then call a touch foul.  
2.  Selective calls depending on the situation. The same play at 15-13 in the first half should be the same call at 67-67 with one minute to go. 
3.  Pandering to the home crowd and being afraid of confrontation to make a call the home crowd screams about.  Grow some onions.  A call should be a call no matter who is at home and what the score is.  
4. Too much emotion.  If Stewart committed a technical and the ref gets fired up about it, have the emotional intelligence to look at the tape and say both guys did it in that situation.  Stewart needs to keep his wits about him but it’s not like he acted in a vacuum.  
5.  Making a call based on anticipating the play rather than actually seeing the play materialize.  This may be getting slightly better because in years past it was pure abomination. 
6. The leadership from the conference is abysmal. Too many negatives are accepted with a shrug.  There should be no home cooking and have it just accepted like it makes sense.  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

My main gripes with conference officiating:

1.  Inconsistent calls.  They allow roughhousing throughout in the paint, then call a touch foul.  
2.  Selective calls depending on the situation. The same play at 15-13 in the first half should be the same call at 67-67 with one minute to go. 
3.  Pandering to the home crowd and being afraid of confrontation to make a call the home crowd screams about.  Grow some onions.  A call should be a call no matter who is at home and what the score is.  
4. Too much emotion.  If Stewart committed a technical and the ref gets fired up about it, have the emotional intelligence to look at the tape and say both guys did it in that situation.  Stewart needs to keep his wits about him but it’s not like he acted in a vacuum.  
5.  Making a call based on anticipating the play rather than actually seeing the play materialize.  This may be getting slightly better because in years past it was pure abomination. 
6. The leadership from the conference is abysmal. Too many negatives are accepted with a shrug.  There should be no home cooking and have it just accepted like it makes sense.  

Good list.  I have to throw in excessive reliance (and often subsequent confusion) on video replay.  

Truthfully I doubt the league office gives 2 hoots in hell what the fans think.  Coaches & AD's have to be the ones to press them to fix things.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Good list.  I have to throw in excessive reliance (and often subsequent confusion) on video replay.  

Truthfully I doubt the league office gives 2 hoots in hell what the fans think.  Coaches & AD's have to be the ones to press them to fix things.

I agree.  I sense that the league office barely reviews the work of the referees and, if they do, it’s probably a rubber stamp.  I also have to wonder if it’s a blind leading the blind situation where the league office doesn’t really have experts managing the rank and file refs.  

Why not hire an esteemed retired NBA ref to run the show and improve the product.  The amount of money it would take is a drop in the bucket.  

And don’t get me going on video reviews.  They need to be more discriminate. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Yep, from video of Woodson at the end of the game, he called it out to the official's face.  You need the University to throw a fit about it.  The problem is that the Big Ten does not give a rat's behind about Indiana right now.  That to me is the big thing, we are upset because we are getting treated like an also ran in the conference.   The teams in the top half get the calls and we don't.  It is the same in football, they won't tick off Ohio State or any of those types of programs because they cannot afford to lose them.  Sad to say, but we are really easy to replace.  If we left the BIG, we are not getting a better deal anywhere else.

What you need is the Indiana AD to reach out to the Iowa's, Northwestern's, Minnesota's, etc. of the world and get a more United front in the "fix the eff'ing officiating in this league" effort.  Power in numbers.

• Like 1

The biggest thing to me are the replays. I think it was purdue at indiana. Purdue had no timeouts left, but they ended up getting 2 or 3, because a player signaled for a review. It seems like in a close game the reviews are too easy to call for. allows for teams to have timeouts without having any and slows down the game. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

The biggest thing to me are the replays. I think it was purdue at indiana. Purdue had no timeouts left, but they ended up getting 2 or 3, because a player signaled for a review. It seems like in a close game the reviews are too easy to call for. allows for teams to have timeouts without having any and slows down the game. 

This is a great point. The current review system can easily be manipulated to gain an advantage.  I'd be interested in a football type review system where a player or coach can call for a review, but if they lose, it costs them a timeout. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

It's a really tough job, but the inconsistency is just so awful these days. Like the proverbial box of chocolates....

Yup, just be consistent. That's it. Call it tight or let them play, but call it the same as a crew, call it the same on both ends and the same throughout the game. 

55 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

You did use big10.org and not big10.com right? 

If you used the latter, you might get some autographed pictures...

Yes.  It was .org.  I actually got the Out of Office message for the one dude, so pretty confident it worked.