BTT: Michigan Pregame

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

Agree. The only differences though are if I remember correctly we ran a lot of offense through the post last game against Michigan and it turned into TJD getting into a sort of personal battle with Dickenson, which he lost big time. 

Dickenson also hit something like 3-4 3's which is a huge anomaly for him. 

So maybe our Big Ten leading defense shows up and we don't get an outlier performance like Dickenson hitting 3's, and then offensively we run a more PnR game with XJ and TJD which we've been doing much more of lately instead of having TJD ram his head into a brick wall all game. 

Trying to find some ways we could pull this off. 

Agree.  In previous years, they have owned us because they have had wings with length and athleticism and we didn't.  But this year, they had lost a lot and I thought we would be able to beat them at home.

So, yes, we lost again, but the "why" was different, IMO.  Yes, they have some frontcourt guys with length but we are a veteran team.  If we play tough, we can beat them.  I like your gameplan.

Trayce can't just stand in the post and score over a guy with 4 inches on him.  He doesn't have the post moves for it.   Maybe he can score on some dives toward the basket off PnR or other action away from him.

If he comes back, he needs a mid range shot.  Make the defense step out a little to guard him, and then he can get on the move to score.  In the post, work on post moves so you get the defender off kilter.  Heck, go look at film of a 6'7 Daryl Thomas scoring on guys 3-5 inches taller than him.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1

Here’s my take.  I’m disenfranchised with all things Indiana basketball because I’m just so sick of being so close, so often, and every time the same thing happens. We are good enough to beat anyone. Anyone in college basketball. We play like it 90 percent of our games for short spurts. Good team are consistent, we are not that( well in a bad way).

I hate the matchup with Michigan. I give us a less than 5 percent chance to win this game. Call me negative or whatever, but it just is what it is. We are a great team sometimes and are 2 consistent shooters away from being 14-6 in the big ten. Our biggest weakness is our inability to shoot. Great defense most of the time, cut down on turnovers big time, x is playing great, race and tjd are what you need on a great college team. But after that we have no consistency and nobody that shows up we can count on every game. It’s sad the season has come to this when we all see how good we “could” be.  I wasn’t expecting top 5 finish at the beginning of the year in the big ten. But after seeing how good we could be, call me completely and utterly dejected with how this season has turned out.

My expectation is we keep it close and fall apart like normal in the last 10 minutes, make the NIT and hopefully Woodson lets some of the younger guys play to get some minutes. No point in kopp or Stewart getting meaningful minutes in the NIT. 

Hopefully this entire post bites me in the ass and we maybe win a game against a team with a winning record( which we are 0-6 in our last 6 of those games), and then we beat Illinois too because F*** them. Sadly I don’t think that will happen and I’m looking forward to March madness being over for the 6 straight year because I’m a salty ass IU fan. 

Edited by Hoosierfan1215
  • Like 5

14 hours ago, toonsquad said:

Because of Wisconsin's meltdown yesterday, if we win on Thursday, we now play Illinois. Would have much preferred to play the Badgers. Especially if Davis isn't going to be able to go. 

Yeah… I posted that prior to Iowa choking down the stretch. I jinxed it. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

If he comes back, he needs a mid range shot.  Make the defense step out a little to guard him, and then he can get on the move to score. 

Haven't we all been saying this since before he got on campus at IU?  It's almost as if TJD has not worked on it just to prove everyone wrong.....which hasn't worked. 

5 hours ago, 3Ballin said:

Haven't we all been saying this since before he got on campus at IU?  It's almost as if TJD has not worked on it just to prove everyone wrong.....which hasn't worked. 

Good point.  I bet it’s more mental than anything.  He needs to pull it off because it’s stifling his game.  

44 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Good point.  I bet it’s more mental than anything.  He needs to pull it off because it’s stifling his game.  

Probably, but if he comes back next year, while we are going through the bakery games, half of his shots need to be jump shots 8+ feet out. I dont care if he hits them (i mean i do) but he needs to get comfortable shooting them. 

• Like 2

Get TJD out on the floor and let him go to work on Dickinson. Run lots of PNR with he and X and force some mismatch options. X will be able to get to the paint at will and we need some timely shooting. I feel pretty good about this one and if we get this one we will beat Illinois. The only thing that even has me concerned is that TJD just stays on the right block and if so we have no chance. Get him out in space and let him at least make the defense have to adjust. 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Get TJD out on the floor and let him go to work on Dickinson. Run lots of PNR with he and X and force some mismatch options. X will be able to get to the paint at will and we need some timely shooting. I feel pretty good about this one and if we get this one we will beat Illinois. The only thing that even has me concerned is that TJD just stays on the right block and if so we have no chance. Get him out in space and let him at least make the defense have to adjust. 

Watching Iowa against Illinois was interesting. They were basically five out with no post guy.  Cock burn had to play out away from the basket.  I thought it was effective for Iowa.  

In the next two, Trayce needs to use mobility like other teams are doing.  The problem is the defender may ignore him even 12 feet out.  It’s not a hard shot.  

The thing about jump shots is you need rhythm and flow.  If you’re just standing there and you think “I might as well shoot it,” it doesn’t go as well usually.  But if you are in rhythm and flow with the shot in the offense, you can hit it.  IMO of course.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Watching Iowa against Illinois was interesting. They were basically five out with no post guy.  Cock burn had to play out away from the basket.  I thought it was effective for Iowa.  

In the next two, Trayce needs to use mobility like other teams are doing.  The problem is the defender may ignore him even 12 feet out.  It’s not a hard shot.  

The thing about jump shots is you need rhythm and flow.  If you’re just standing there and you think “I might as well shoot it,” it doesn’t go as well usually.  But if you are in rhythm and flow with the shot in the offense, you can hit it.  IMO of course.  

I agree. I don't think you can ignore him from 12 if he catches faces up and looks to attack. If he turns his back like he sometimes does then yes. If he catch square and take 1 dribble from 12 he could dunk it so they have to come out and slow down the first hard dribble. He is quick enough to still get to the rim for a shot, dump off to Race or opposite side kick out. Have to make Dickinson play defense out on the floor just like you saw Iowa do against Cockburn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I agree. I don't think you can ignore him from 12 if he catches faces up and looks to attack. If he turns his back like he sometimes does then yes. If he catch square and take 1 dribble from 12 he could dunk it so they have to come out and slow down the first hard dribble. He is quick enough to still get to the rim for a shot, dump off to Race or opposite side kick out. Have to make Dickinson play defense out on the floor just like you saw Iowa do against Cockburn

Love your coach’s perspective.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Love your coach’s perspective.  

Not a coaches perspective, just a washed up also ran kind of guy that loves basketball. Thank you for the kind words. In reality basketball is a pretty easy game put a round ball in a round hole and then keep the other guys from doing the same. Coaches tend to over complicate the simple things. 

• Like 1