New WR Coach: Adam Henry

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Nice stable of WR's he's put in the league. Certainly can't hurt on the recruiting side of things. Just seemed odd to me when I fire up twitter and I see a coach leaving Cowboys for IU. Just looks weird...haha.

This has to be considered a good hire, at this point in time, correct? 

6 or 7 seasons as an NFL WR coach? Wow. Plus a TE coach for three years and offensive QC for 2 years. Oh and 2012-14 He was WR coach at a top 10 program in the country. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

This has to be considered a good hire, at this point in time, correct? 

6 or 7 seasons as an NFL WR coach? Wow. Plus a TE coach for three years and offensive QC for 2 years. Oh and 2012-14 He was WR coach at a top 10 program in the country. 

Me personally I think it's a home run hire for the position and honestly makes me want to know the connection and the why he is leaving the NFL for IU? Not to disparage us at all (I guess I am) but just seems weird.

• Like 3

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Me personally I think it's a home run hire for the position and honestly makes me want to know the connection and the why he is leaving the NFL for IU? Not to disparage us at all (I guess I am) but just seems weird.

Don't disagree. 

This is the 3rd guy with DIRECT NFL ties we've hired though. Wellman, Johnson and now Henry. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PAHoosier said:

He was the WR coach for the Giants. I wonder if Aaron Wellman "recruited" him to IU

Good find and connection....because there has to be a connection somewhere. You just don't leave the Cowboys unless there is a very specific reason i.e. relationship with someone...or shoot maybe his wife (she's a Dr) has a connection to the area?

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Good find and connection....because there has to be a connection somewhere. You just don't leave the Cowboys unless there is a very specific reason i.e. relationship with someone...or shoot maybe his wife (she's a Dr) has a connection to the area?

I think Wellman basically just said... My wife is from Indiana and we want to raise our family. Good god, I hope he doesn't leave tomorrow now lol 

I do laugh when people from the coasts ask why you'd ever want to live in the rolling hills of Southern Indiana.... go to Bloomington people, it won't take you long to figure out why someone would want to raise a family there. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 3

Ah nevermind -- it's not only Aaron Wellman with the connection, Craig Johnson (new RB coach) was also the RB coach from the Giants during the same time Adam Henry was there. As a Giants fan, I remember when Adam Henry was brought in it was largely due to his relationship with Odell Beckham (having coached him at LSU).

I think this is a homerun hire.

Edited by PAHoosier
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Looks like a great hire.  Not only has he coached in the NFL, but he also coached receivers at LSU.  He has a number of good receivers he can put on his resume in the player development department, including star guys like Amari Cooper, Odell Beckham, and Jarvis Landry, but also guys who got a lot better including Michael Gallup at Dallas who seemed to come out of nowhere. 

Like any assistant, I hope he he has high end recruiting ability.  I see that he is from Texas and the Cowboy thing should be huge down there and he probably forged ties in Louisiana during his time at LSU.  With the way we recruit, he could hit other positions too.  Since he coached at LSU, he should have a good handle on recruiting, period.

Edited by BobSaccamanno

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/dallas-coach-adam-henry-explains-leaving-amari-cooper-change-indiana-hoosiers#gid=ci029bbac05000272a&pid=adam-henry-gallup-

That article reads like Dallas replaced him while he was grieving for the death of his father.    Doesn't really explain what exactly happened there and seems odd since it reads like there was no communication between Henry and the Cowboys.