Offseason 2022

Jumping the gun a bit by starting this thread now but the team has only 2 more losses until it's the offseason. The offseason has become my favorite part of IU basketball because they are no longer losing and we can dream about the potential for them to actually be a good team the next season.

So let's get started. This doesn't have to just about IU.

How does the coaching musical chairs work out? UL needs a new coach, Crean is gone from GA, Weber will likely be fired from KSU.

The transfer market will likely be crazy again. Will Nijel Pack transfer after Weber is canned? If so, does IU pursue him?

The big key to IU's offseason is what players leave and who comes back.  Very interesting comments from Race earlier this week.  Thought for sure he was going to leave after going through Senior Day ceremonies.  XJ coming back as well as 1 of Trayce or Race is critical for IU to be successful next year.

Beyond that, development from Bates, Geronimo, and Galloway will also be important.  

And, the coaching staff needs to retool the offensive scheme.

• Like 2

I usually don't like jumping the gun on stuff like this, but I want to point a few things out...

First, IF, IF, IF Rob and TG don't get injured, bubble isn't on the table. We're in the 6-9 range as far as seeding. Their injuries drastically hurt backcourt depth. Like we'll never know, but I just feel losing your best perimeter defender and an up and comer showing signs of improving was a season killer. It didn't have to be, if we just beat a couple teams at home...but we didn't...

Then NW happened, stupid.

As I've stated in other threads, this is Archie's roster. Besides XJ, PS?, Kopp, Bates and Durr...I have a feeling we're going to see 1/2 a different roster next season. JHS, Banks,  and Gunn are joining the fray. I don't have an inkling on who stays and goes, but I'd say we'll lose 3-5 players. I won't mention who I think it is, because I really don't know. There's some signs there. I don't mean this negatively either, but it's time for a roster reload and overhaul. Already a different breed of recruits coming in. 

Players I thought improved, or showed signs of improvement: XJ as the season as gone on. Played unreal, all league guard next year? TJD plays so much harder on D more consistently, as a rim protector. Made no offensive strides though. I wish Race was a sophomore. Would have loved to see him develop for 4 years under this staff.

TB was disappointing, but I see potential there. Hope he returns with a fresh start. JG was great for flashes, but they were short lived. In my opinion, he's what we wanted Hanner Perea to be?

We need elite guards, and I believe one is coming...sorry for random long post. 

• Like 5

I'm pretty excited about next year, particularly if one or both of Race/TJD return, and XJ returns. I think my biggest concern is some sort of change of culture/mentality with these guys, as they seem to completely wilt as a unit down the stretch of games. I'm not sure how you fix that, but it dropped us from potentially competing for a B1G title to where we are.

We'll have a really good mix of experience and youth, and it's going to be interesting to see how these guys improve and if they put in the work in the offseason. Can Trey develop an outside shot? Can Geronimo improve his handle and cut down on fouling? Can Bates take the next step? Can Leal carve out some P/T? Same with Lander if he returns, and so forth.

I'm also interested in how much CMW and the staff learn from round one with this group. I think we're ahead of schedule defensively, but there will likely need to be adjustments made on the offensive end, along with the end of game issues. 

In short, every single person on this team has work to do, but the potential is certainly there to compete for a B1G title.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sea Turtle said:

Why does anybody think TJD is coming back? He's gone for sure. 

Probably because of things like this:

Draft Notes

A skilled big with decent length and a solid mid range and post up game.

TJD is a high level athlete who is able to use his strength and athleticism to punish opposing college players in the paint. At this point in his career he does most of his damage in the paint and will have to expand his game to make it at the NBA level.

Draft Projection

possible second round pick in the 2022 NBA Draft

38 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I’m expecting a high turnover of players. Just doesn’t seem like Woody could get through to some and he’s trying to change the culture.  Just a guess on my part.

It’s really fascinating. On the outside it seems like everyone gets along and are all really great guys. But seeing stuff like the northwestern suspension and it makes you think maybe the team chemistry isn’t as great as it’s perceived. I wouldn’t be surprised if our team is only slightly different but I think I’m expecting about a 50% turnover as well. 

Sparks kid from Ball State is transferring. 6'9 240 FR

14pppg 8rpg 

He only average .5 blocks and doesn't shoot 3s currently, but he did shoot 70% from the line. Avged 15p and 10r in conference play and shot on average over 7FTs a game....  he shot 72% from the line in conference play. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, btownqb said:

14pppg 8rpg 

He only average .5 blocks and doesn't shoot 3s currently, but he did shoot 70% from the line. Avged 15p and 10r in conference play and shot on average over 7FTs a game....  he shot 72% from the line in conference play. 

Maybe Luke Brown will be available. Lol.

22 minutes ago, btownqb said:

14pppg 8rpg 

might not be a bad pick up.  Conference isn't terrible.  Those are decent numbers for a freshman big.  I like it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

14pppg 8rpg 

He’s a lefty with range to 15 feet. Draws a lot of fouls. MAC freshman of the year. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Winchester Indiana...

I saw an article that mentioned that we had reached out...will be interesting to see how fast things move once we are done with the season. I think you have to give our current post players time to make their decisions (particularly TJD and Race) but don't want to be caught flat footed if they both decide to move on. There is a scenario where we have four of the current five post players move on, but I think that in the end it will only be two.

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

In the 4 out of 5, who do you think stays? Durr?

Well, I think Durr might have to contend with the fact that he has to sit if he leaves. That is why I think that he and Geronimo or here next year for sure. I'd love to see a year of development for Duncomb, I think that he can really add a dimension to the offense in the four out one in because he can pull his defender away from the basket...I really hope Race stays another year because I think that he is on the verge of being really hard to deal with, almost a poor man's Draymond Green. With TJD I think that he will need to strike while the iron is hot, and simply needs to take the temperature after the year and see if it is as hot as he can make it...

(regarding sparks, I think that he is really worth recruiting...just like I thought we should have recruited Jake Laravia hard last year)

• Like 2