Offseason 2022

14 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

If a player isn’t bought in do want him to stay?

judging by RabJohn comments on JMV show might be a few the coach’s ask to leave 

CMW has claimed over and over he is changing the culture of IU from the past 20 years. He has to "purge" the guys who aren't buying in to what he wants/expects. That is the only way for him to succeed long term.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

If a player isn’t bought in do want him to stay?

judging by RabJohn comments on JMV show might be a few the coach’s ask to leave 

RabJohns, I like listening to; however he walks the tight rope of fan and reporter.  No doubt he has inside info, but he also speculates.  He was the reporter in the press conference that said the Illinois win guaranteed the big dance.  We have learned, yes they were in, but it was as thin of rope as possible, with some wear and tear.

My speculation is that this staff was put together by Dolson, Matta and Woodson.  Woodson had a year to learn and evaluate and now the ball is in his court to make the necessary changes.  There were a ton of Archie hires still on staff.  They might of become Woodson people now, or they served the purpose of bridging the gap.  Todays coaching world there is movement as thr objective is to become a head coach.  

Its going to be fun to see how things shake out.  One thing for sure is that recruiting is the number priority.  My humble opinion is that with NBA influence we have the best basketball minds already there and I bet more are going to be added at some point. 

I would love to see "money" in a player development role and not just an adviser.  Would love the influence of Whittman and other all-in Hoosiers who have had the top gigs in the world.  

I also really appreciate all the work Hunter, Ya and Fife (an all in Hoosier) have done.  They are great.  Don't know much about Sanders, Matta roles.  Tough decisions by all stakeholders and it will be interesting to see how things shake out.

Future of IU basketball has never been brighter since my kids have been born.  

3 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Would love more specifics of what you are hearing.  What type of roles can they take on based on NCAA?  Or, just working out there? Good stuff!

Kind of like when Vic or Cody come back or when DWADE would stop by for a visit. I expect Melo to stop by say hi talk with the guys etc. Maybe some "pick up" games with guys from the association that want CMW to be successful 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, btownqb said:

12-15 mins? Were you saying that in reference to the amount of mins Durr played? 

We're good.  We don't have to preface anything, just discussion. 

I think you might be undervaluing a veteran, 4th string... sometimes 5th string big guy. As in, someone actually willing to fill that selfless role. 

Ideally would that person be a little more athletic, yeah I think so, he isn't perfect.. I do think we could be a fair amount worse in that spot too though. I think there does need to be a roster spot dedicated to that role.

I get where you're coming from. 

I was meaning 12-15 minutes if we replaced Durr with someone way more serviceable than him. As a veteran he made wayyyy too many mistakes.

5 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

ND had double OT in Dayton 🍀

but Bama lost starter in first minutes 

His interviews are great but his other crap gets old.  

The difference is ND didn't play 3 conference tournament games. They were one and done in the ACCT. They didn't have 5 games in 8 days. 

Completely different situations. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

The difference is ND didn't play 3 conference tournament games. They were one and done in the ACCT. They didn't have 5 games in 8 days. 

Completely different situations. 

And, no offense to Bama, but St. Mary's is a much more difficult team to prepare for and play against.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

And, no offense to Bama, but St. Mary's is a much more difficult team to prepare for and play against.  

Great point! If St. Mary’s plays like they did in our game, they are going to make some noise. Dakich is just a blow hard. He has zero humility or integrity. It’s too bad that he tries so hard to sell his sensationalism. 

• Like 2

There several teams I watch the last few years and I just think that I wish IU could recruit and play like these teams. 

This goes further back then last year, so I don't mean to cherry pick recent national title winners, but I just love the type of players Baylor and Villanova recruit and the style they play. 

Just tough players, skilled and aggressive guards, 3 & D wings with length, and long, athletic bigs that rim run offensively, can play the PnR and are tough defensively. 

Both programs play tough D and play with pace offensively.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

There several teams I watch the last few years and I just think that I wish IU could recruit and play like these teams. 

This goes further back then last year, so I don't mean to cherry pick recent national title winners, but I just love the type of players Baylor and Villanova recruit and the style they play. 

Just tough players, skilled and aggressive guards, 3 & D wings with length, and long, athletic bigs that rim run offensively, can play the PnR and are tough defensively. 

Both programs play tough D and play with pace offensively.  

To add to what you are saying....those teams have kids thay can shoot from anywhere on the floor and don't need to toe the line.  Maybe Green was our last threat for something like that?   

They stretch the floor opening up the lanes and have at least 1 player who can break you off the dribble.  It only take 1, like what we see with Wisconsin.  Maybe the 3 kids we are bringing in next year have this game?  Bates shows some of that potential and just needs to add strength.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

To add to what you are saying....those teams have kids thay can shoot from anywhere on the floor and don't need to toe the line.  Maybe Green was our last threat for something like that?   

They stretch the floor opening up the lanes and have at least 1 player who can break you off the dribble.  It only take 1, like what we see with Wisconsin.  Maybe the 3 kids we are bringing in next year have this game?  Bates shows some of that potential and just needs to add strength.  

Agree, though I'd add that both schools typically have multiple guys that can break you down off the dribble. 

Watching Baylor now, and most possessions there isn't even a player inside the 3pt line. They're so spread out and because they're so skilled the defense has to respect it. 

• Like 1