Offseason 2022

2 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Woody is also going to have some tough conversations coming up with a few players.

If guys have their degrees , I don't think the coaches have to let them come back.  It might not be a good luck but if some of the older guys wants to come back it might need to be elsewhere.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Could that bring Randy in as his replacement?

Whittman is obviously a good basketball mind, but at this level you need assistants that are going to grind the recruiting trail. Is Whittman going to do that, especially with little to no experience?

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Banks is already signed for starters. Ya just got Indiana in the door with his connections. Woody and the rest of the staff sold them on the school.

Good point. A former Alabama player told me Ya couldn't close at Bama. Told him that wasn't his job. Ya seems to have some solid connections,  but we'll be good either way.

Just now, BGleas said:

Whittman is obviously a good basketball mind, but at this level you need assistants that are going to grind the recruiting trail. Is Whittman going to do that, especially with little to no experience?

That's true. I guess I was thinking him having more access to players in practice for development, but you bring up a good point on recruiting. 

Just now, Fiveoutofsix said:

Only need one key recruiter.  Randy has plenty of connections as well across the country. 

I highly doubt all these programs only have one key recruiter. On the current staff Fife, Hunter and Ya are all recruiting. 

I don’t think there are college assistants that don't recruit. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I highly doubt all these programs only have one key recruiter. On the current staff Fife, Hunter and Ya are all recruiting. 

I don’t think there are college assistants that don't recruit. 

I agree with that, but what I'm saying is that every coach is a recruiter including your recruiting director.  Heck, when Dan Dakitch was Director of Basketball, he was the one giving tours to Zeller on campus and it was said his connections had them talking.

You need a coach that is also going to run practices when the head coach is out recruiting.  

I wouldn't it past that Woodson and Whittman can go into any state with a NBA team and or G team and pull a connection out.  It's who wants to work for it.  I think that is the assumption that Ya is the one spending most of his time recruiting.

I think Fife and Hunter have been the main leads??  The two Georgia kids have been Ya's lead?

Recruiting is about connections and who can make the phone call.  And other stuff that IU is not known for.  

Edited by Fiveoutofsix

6 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

I agree with that, but what I'm saying is that every coach is a recruiter including your recruiting director.  Heck, when Dan Dakitch was Director of Basketball, he was the one giving tours to Zeller on campus and it was said his connections had them talking.

You need a coach that is also going to run practices when the head coach is out recruiting.  

I wouldn't it past that Woodson and Whittman can go into any state with a NBA team and or G team and pull a connection out.  It's who wants to work for it.  I think that is the assumption that Ya is the one spending most of his time recruiting.

I think Fife and Hunter have been the main leads??  The two Georgia kids have been Ya's lead?

Recruiting is about connections and who can make the phone call.  And other stuff that IU is not known for.  

I hear what you're saying as well, and I think these NBA guys have more AAU and grassroots connections then we probably think. 

With that said, I don’t love the idea of 2 out of 4 of our available offsite recruiters should we hire Whitman (Woodson, Whitman, Fife and Hunter) basically having zero college basketball recruiting experience. 

• Like 1

Just now, BGleas said:

I hear what you're saying as well, and I think these NBA guys have more AAU and grassroots connections then we probably think. 

With that said, I don’t love the idea of 2 out of 4 of our available offsite recruiters should we hire Whitman (Woodson, Whitman, Fife and Hunter) basically having zero college basketball recruiting experience. 

My thought is always put the best staff possible together.  Leverage the Recruiting Director positon and at least one assistant to make it his/her main objective.

Then again, Knight and Davis both hired high school coaches to get recruits.  

5 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

My thought is always put the best staff possible together.  Leverage the Recruiting Director positon and at least one assistant to make it his/her main objective.

Then again, Knight and Davis both hired high school coaches to get recruits.  

Recruiting Director can't recruit offsite though, unless they changed the rules. You need more then one assistant recruiting. 

These AAU tournaments are all over the country and recruiting is a national game now. This isn't Bob Knight's world anymore. 

I'm fine with replacing Ya, as I guess he's probably light on the actual coaching side, but I still don't like having 2 guys with little recruiting experience. 

Between Woodson, Fife and Hunter, and then with Matta and Armond Hill involved I'm sure we're fine from an X's and O's perspective. We need the Jimmy's and the Joe's now. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Recruiting Director can't recruit offsite though, unless they changed the rules. You need more then one assistant recruiting. 

These AAU tournaments are all over the country and recruiting is a national game now. This isn't Bob Knight's world anymore. 

I'm fine with replacing Ya, as I guess he's probably light on the actual coaching side, but I still don't like having 2 guys with little recruiting experience. 

Between Woodson, Fife and Hunter, and then with Matta and Armond Hill involved I'm sure we're fine from an X's and O's perspective. We need the Jimmy's and the Joe's now. 

And I believe they’re coming. JHS solid, Banks is better than people realize. Gunn is a shooter. Cupps is mr bball as a junior in Ohio. That’s a pretty impressive feat in 1 year. The joes are a’comin’

• Like 3

Just now, Coach Robby said:

And I believe they’re coming. JHS solid, Banks is better than people realize. Gunn is a shooter. Cupps is mr bball as a junior in Ohio. That’s a pretty impressive feat in 1 year. The joes are a’comin’

Completely agree, just need it to keep going! 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Makes sense, but would be awesome.  I'm sure "money" could slide over.  And maybe them switching roles?  Going to be fun to see what happens.  

He has Woodson’s ear on a lot of things. When the offense got more movement late in the year that was Whitman’s doing as were some sets and other wrinkles that were put in on offense. He just doesn’t want to do the day to day stuff or he’d already have day to day role. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DC2345 said:

He has Woodson’s ear on a lot of things. When the offense got more movement late in the year that was Whitman’s doing as were some sets and other wrinkles that were put in on offense. He just doesn’t want to do the day to day stuff or he’d already have day to day role. 

They he definitely should not become an assistant. College assistants need to be 100%, all-in grinders. 

Keep him consulting and get an assistant (assuming Ya leaves) that is a grinders. 

• Like 1