Offseason 2022

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Recruiting Director can't recruit offsite though, unless they changed the rules. You need more then one assistant recruiting. 

These AAU tournaments are all over the country and recruiting is a national game now. This isn't Bob Knight's world anymore. 

I'm fine with replacing Ya, as I guess he's probably light on the actual coaching side, but I still don't like having 2 guys with little recruiting experience. 

Between Woodson, Fife and Hunter, and then with Matta and Armond Hill involved I'm sure we're fine from an X's and O's perspective. We need the Jimmy's and the Joe's now. 

Don't you think the names you just mentioned are going to recruit?  I get the director does most of the work from the office; however that is where the connection is made.  This is what Georgia football did.  

Hopefully we get to a point that we can recruit who we want like Scheyer is doing right now.  Not there yet; however there is enough people whonhave coaches back that are going to make connections.  Fife and Hunter are elite recruiters.  Hunters press conference with Archie, he said, make no bones about it, I was brought here to recruit.  

I agree, and also like the player development side.  Looking back to even Davis, a big loss was loosing McDonald as an assistant who was the development guy.  

Anyhow, it will be interesting.  

2 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Don't you think the names you just mentioned are going to recruit?  I get the director does most of the work from the office; however that is where the connection is made.  This is what Georgia football did.  

Hopefully we get to a point that we can recruit who we want like Scheyer is doing right now.  Not there yet; however there is enough people whonhave coaches back that are going to make connections.  Fife and Hunter are elite recruiters.  Hunters press conference with Archie, he said, make no bones about it, I was brought here to recruit.  

I agree, and also like the player development side.  Looking back to even Davis, a big loss was loosing McDonald as an assistant who was the development guy.  

Anyhow, it will be interesting.  

Those guys can't recruit off campus though. They can't go sit in a recruits home. They can't go recruit an AAU tournament. I'm not even sure they can work the phones with recruits. 

They can give campus tours and they can call connections and contacts. and put in favors, etc. 

The assistants are the ones slumming it at AAU events all Spring and summer, working the parents at tournaments and in the home, etc. We need more then two guys doing that. 

I think where your points here probably could have a big impact are in the portal. I'd bet Woodson and a guy like Whitman might have a lot of weight with current coaches, especially at the Power 5 level, when checking in on potential transfers. That could be a huge thing. 

13 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

He has Woodson’s ear on a lot of things. When the offense got more movement late in the year that was Whitman’s doing as were some sets and other wrinkles that were put in on offense. He just doesn’t want to do the day to day stuff or he’d already have day to day role. 

In a press conference both players and Coach mentioned the movement was added because X and TJD had a talk that they could now do it.  There was movent early on, but the staff felt they were not good at the pick and roll, etc.  X and TJD convinced them, they were now ready for it.  

1 hour ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

In a press conference both players and Coach mentioned the movement was added because X and TJD had a talk that they could now do it.  There was movent early on, but the staff felt they were not good at the pick and roll, etc.  X and TJD convinced them, they were now ready for it.  

Some of it was stuff added because of Whitman. That’s a fact. 

Edited by DC2345
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Is there just an assumption that Ya wants to go with Payne?  When he came here, he was extremely thankful to Coach Woodson for giving him a chance, to the point of being emotional about it.   He might not be inclined to bolt after one year out of loyalty to the guy who gave him a huge chance just a year ago.  

More than an assumption. Payne is who Ya considers his mentor in coaching and they go way back. Ya wouldn’t be at IU if it wasn’t for Payne.

8 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

That’s well known.  What’s not an assumption?

There is interest in Ya going with Payne to U of L. That’s what’s not an assumption. There’s still a chance he won’t but the discussions will take place between the two sides.

• Thanks 1

On 3/18/2022 at 2:42 PM, IUFLA said:

I know I don't have the practiced eye of some, but I've watched 3 complete games that JHS has played in, and I'm not sure at this point he shoots the 3 well enough to be a 2 or 3...

His best spot, at least right now, is as a 1. He's a floor general with outstanding leadership qualities. He can play defense on 1-3s, but until he's consistent with his outside shooting, I'm not so sure he can play all 3 positions on offense...

I can envision him on the floor with XJ, but from what I've seen, he's better with the ball in his hands...

I hope we use JHS similar to how UT uses Kennedy Chandler. Kennedy is more of a PG then JHS and he didnt play "on the ball" exclusively. 

It was PG by committee at UT. And it was really effective. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I hope we use JHS similar to how UT uses Kennedy Chandler. Kennedy is more of a PG then JHS and he didnt play "on the ball" exclusively. 

It was PG by committee at UT. And it was really effective. 

Watching this year and listening to coach on the shows, etc.  They want at least 4 players who can bring up the ball.  They pushed Thompson to grow his skills in that area. This team didn't have the personal.  For example, you put Galo in and then the defense camps the launch pad.  

JHS is a gamechanger!  He can do it all.  He does need to improve his outside shot....regardless he is a threat.  The kid might be as close to the complete package as we have seen in a long time.  Hopefully what you are saying, we will see more next year as the pieces to the puzzle fall in place.  

Edited by Fiveoutofsix
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

5 is probably a good guess. I’m thinking we’ll lose 5 or 6 from this following group: Durr, Kopp, TJD, Race, Rob, Lander, and Johnson. 

I’d switch out Johnson for Stewart, and agree we’re probably looking in that range of guys leaving. There’s always one that is a bit unexpected, but i can’t see any logical reason for XJ leaving. 

• Like 6