Offseason 2022

13 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

All I know is Woody is going to have some hard conversations this week with some folks and there could be a players or 2 decide to leave on their own.

It will be interesting to see who the staff has relationships with already from the 22 class who are asking out of their letter of intent.  And, there should leaks soon to see who the staff is reaching out to.  

When can official visits happen? Is it a red light right now?

11 hours ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

I thought the exact same thing, but curious what others like in him.

Having seen him play 6-7 times last year  he does play a lot of back to the basket. But he has a good free throw stroke (70 percent), but it looks good. He put on a lot of size from senior year of high school to now. Probably 40 lbs. scored in double figures 25 times last year. And technically only will be a sophomore, so still room to get better. He ain’t gonna be Trayce but I think he could average 12pts and 6-7 Rebs a game next year playing 25-30 mins a game. He’s only 6’9. So he isn’t just dominanting smaller schools with no size. He scored in double figures all but 1 of his last 20 games and shot 54 percent from The field. I’d rather have a big guy who can stretch the floor from 3 and open up lanes, but I think he would be a good get regardless and given how his shot looks he could develop a good jumper. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, DC2345 said:

All I know is Woody is going to have some hard conversations this week with some folks and there could be a players or 2 decide to leave on their own.

Just for fun because I do like to stir a little and some people on our board are so against certain coaches or etc... and when they do something like Creaning its bad but if a couple players get taken behind the "Woodshed" I suspect those same people would be ok with it

I know that COVID changes some things but by my count we are oversigned by 3, is that correct?

Edited by Billingsley99
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Sessoms isn't even close to XJ on the defensive end, and is a streaky shooter...he can get to the hoop, but I would consider him a step down from Xavier Johnson...

I was looking strictly at the offensive numbers.  No idea what kind of player he is.  Which is also why i said none of them are an upgrade over XJ

9 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Just for fun because I do like to stir a little and some people on our board are so against certain coaches or etc... and when they do something like Creaning its bad but if a couple players get taken behind the "Woodshed" I suspect those same people would be ok with it

I know that COVID changes some things but by my count we are oversigned by 3, is that correct?

I was fine with it when Crean did it and I'll be fine with it when Woodson does it. These college athletes can't have their cake and eat it too.

I think you'll find most people disagree with it regarding the stability of the team and building the team.... Not so much of it being "unfair" to the player.

This team needs an immediately upgrade in talent and to do so, some players are going to go. Nature of the business.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ephul said:

I was fine with it when Crean did it and I'll be fine with it when Woodson does it. These college athletes can't have their cake and eat it too.

I think you'll find most people disagree with it regarding the stability of the team and building the team.... Not so much of it being "unfair" to the player.

This team needs an immediately upgrade in talent and to do so, some players are going to go. Nature of the business.

I’m okay with the 2 way street. If players can transfer, coaches should be able to push players out. 

• Like 8

27 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Correct over by 3 as of right now 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

I’m okay with the 2 way street. If players can transfer, coaches should be able to push players out. 

As long as everyone is straight up about everything. 

This is some of why I wish could narrow down a way to limit the time in the portal, or whatever. 

I understand there are tons of factors.. but "ending" the transfer portal for winter sports at like.. the end of May seems like a decent idea. That would give everyone no less then 3-4 weeks to figure everything out. At that point, rosters are set for the summer.... maybe open the portal up from Sept 1-start of practice... and then close it again until the end of the season? Or until the start of conference tourneys? Idk. All of this is obviously just an opinion... I do think there could be some regulation involved. It could help everyone involved a fair amount. 

• Like 4

For the most part, I think the extent that creaning ever happened was greatly over-stated. The one exception being when Patterson (do I have the right guy?) was forced out after summer session. I think the current situation is different though: telling a guy he has to go after 4 years in college, even if he is eligible for a 5th, is perfectly okay in my book.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

For the most part, I think the extent that creaning ever happened was greatly over-stated. The one exception being when Patterson (do I have the right guy?) was forced out after summer session. I think the current situation is different though: telling a guy he has to go after 4 years in college, even if he is eligible for a 5th, is perfectly okay in my book.

I think its ok to tell someone they are not fitting the program or have not proven they can play at this level.  Its a business and sometimes cuts have to be made.  It needs to be done in a timely fashion and professional.  Give solid feedback and then help the kid get to a place where they can succeed.  You just don't cut them and leave them high and dry.  Be honest, be sincere, and then be supportive.  If they refuse your help or are bitter, that is on them.  No one should be surprised at the end of the day with an evaluation.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I think its ok to tell someone they are not fitting the program or have not proven they can play at this level.  Its a business and sometimes cuts have to be made.  It needs to be done in a timely fashion and professional.  Give solid feedback and then help the kid get to a place where they can succeed.  You just don't cut them and leave them high and dry.  Be honest, be sincere, and then be supportive.  If they refuse your help or are bitter, that is on them.  No one should be surprised at the end of the day with an evaluation.

100%. It's about being an adult and having integrity. As a coach, knowing what you want with the program and laying that out with clarity and purpose. As a player, understanding your worth and being open to hearing both the good and the bad (TJD is a perfect example).

The secret sauce - in my opinion - is the ability to communicate. This goes for both Coach and Player. Being open and honest about what each wants is imperative. Hopefully those two POVs are aligned, but many times they are not. If they aren't, having the ability to discuss what the alternatives are in a calm and open manner, is a necessity.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

This is some of why I wish could narrow down a way to limit the time in the portal, or whatever. 

I understand there are tons of factors.. but "ending" the transfer portal for winter sports at like.. the end of May seems like a decent idea. That would give everyone no less then 3-4 weeks to figure everything out. At that point, rosters are set for the summer.... maybe open the portal up from Sept 1-start of practice... and then close it again until the end of the season? Or until the start of conference tourneys? Idk. All of this is obviously just an opinion... I do think there could be some regulation involved. It could help everyone involved a fair amount. 

This is my biggest thing. Open it up but close it by June 1st....that way coaches don't have to worry all summer about being caught off guard on Labor Day and no chance for the coach/school to recover....but I think the NBA deadlines to withdraw (June 13th) this year plays a big part in it being open all summer.

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

While players can enter the portal at any time, there is a cutoff date to have immediate eligibility the next season. I believe that is May 1 for winter sports. So most players will enter before that time so they don't have to sit out a season.

1 minute ago, go_iu_bb said:

While players can enter the portal at any time, there is a cutoff date to have immediate eligibility the next season. I believe that is May 1 for winter sports. So most players will enter before that time so they don't have to sit out a season.

I thought so as well but the Coach at St Peters yesterday said that there leading scorer was in the transfer portal until 2 days before classes started.  I guess he would have had to sit out a year or stay with St Peters?

3 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Maybe that's the rule.. its certainly not enforced that way. Or it doesn't seem like it. 

59 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I thought so as well but the Coach at St Peters yesterday said that there leading scorer was in the transfer portal until 2 days before classes started.  I guess he would have had to sit out a year or stay with St Peters?

I don't think they have to commit to a school before the cutoff date, just enter the portal before then.

56 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Maybe that's the rule.. its certainly not enforced that way. Or it doesn't seem like it. 

Last season the cutoff was much later, July 1. 

I just looked and there was one piece I had missed. With a coaching change or their scholarship is pulled the players have until July 1 to enter.

There are still the other ways to become immediately eligible such as grad transfer or hardship waiver. It's just that if they get in before the cutoff they're guaranteed to have eligibility the next season.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, go_iu_bb said:

I don't think they have to commit to a school before the cutoff date, just enter the portal before then.

Last season the cutoff was much later, July 1. 

I just looked and there was one piece I had missed. With a coaching change or their scholarship is pulled the players have until July 1 to enter.

There are still the other ways to become immediately eligible such as grad transfer or hardship waiver. It's just that if they get in before the cutoff they're guaranteed to have eligibility the next season.

GT is some of what I was alluding to. Idk.. there is some fixing that needs done. 

I wonder most coaches opinion on it.