Offseason 2022

Just now, IU Scott said:

My thinking on X is that he was already suspended once so this is another strike.  If he hadn't been suspended earlier in the year and not had trouble with the coach at Pitt I might feel differently.

Seriously @IU Scott, the "trouble" with Capel at Pitt is irrelevant. A lot of players don't see eye to eye with their coaches...

And I've never been in jail a day in my life either... But I'm not going to play holier than thou and be hardline on second, or even third chances...

I have plenty of friends, coworkers, and family members that have f'ed it up like Hogan's goat. The vast majority have made good on second or third chances. A few haven't. 

As you say, Coach Woodson will be the final arbiter on his status as a member of the team. 

And I'm good with that...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If the boss found out about it I would think most professions would fire the employee.

Scott he was speeding, something everyone on these forums has done. Then he panicked and tried to switch places so it looked like he wasn't driving, not the smartest thing to do but not the crime of the century. 

• Like 1

Just now, IU Scott said:

This was not a speeding ticket but reckless driving and resisting arrest.  I know I would since I am a courier and drive all day long.

Truckers get their tickets paid for by their bosses….and get caught taking drugs and driving all the time and never lose their job. Anything of 15 mph over the posted speed limit is wreckless driving…he didn’t flee or fight the cop…he switched drivers to try to get out of it. It’s dumb he will pay his dues and will face the music…but my god there wouldn’t be anyone left working if people all got fired for this kind of stuff. Oh well no reason to argue…no one will change your mind. If he doesn’t get kicked off the team are you still watching next year? Just wondering.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

This was not a speeding ticket but reckless driving and resisting arrest.  I know I would since I am a courier and drive all day long.

In Indiana you can get a reckless driving charge for going to slow lol.

I am pretty sure it is just a misdemeanor

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

If the boss found out about it I would think most professions would fire the employee.

Scott.  It wouldn't happen.  98% plus of the time, the employer will not take care one way or the other as long as the empIoyee does not miss an excessive amount of work resolving the issue.

I work for a Fortune 500 company.  One of the largest corporations in the entire world.  We currently have a specific job initiative in place to hire people with past criminal records. I'm not making that up. The company recognizes that people deserve an opportunity to figure it out and not pay for a mistake for their entire life.

X should be extremely thankful he didn't kill himself or someone else driving like that.  Hopefully, his parents, and the IU coaching staff, can get that through to him.  Meanwhile, X can use his experience as an opportunity to counsel others in the importance of making good choices.  

• Like 5

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Tom Allen's willingness to trust in Peyton Hendershot was awesome to see this year in football. The only bright spot. I thought it was pretty cool how evident it was that PH would have jumped in front of a bullet for CTA. Don't quit on him, Woody. Teach him. 

I’m fine with that…but I also won’t lose sleep if he does get dismissed if Woody also thinks that is the right thing. In the end Woody will know what his best for this group of kids.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

My thinking on X is that he was already suspended once so this is another strike.  If he hadn't been suspended earlier in the year and not had trouble with the coach at Pitt I might feel differently.

That’s for Woody to decide, not the mob. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Scott he was speeding, something everyone on these forums has done. Then he panicked and tried to switch places so it looked like he wasn't driving, not the smartest thing to do but not the crime of the century. 

My god this was not speeding it was reckless driving and resisting arrest.  Speeding is going 55 in a 45 and not 90 in a 40

• Thanks 1

I do want to give props to @IU Scott.  I disagree with his position, but when I threw out the 'dude at the Home Depot garden center' example, I thought to myself who would believe in their position enough to respond, and Scott was at the top of the list.

Scott is passionate about his beliefs, and I can respect that.  Others come on here, fire a quick bullet, and then run and hide when the questions get tough.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Truckers get their tickets paid for by their bosses….and get caught taking drugs and driving all the time and never lose their job. Anything of 15 mph over the posted speed limit is wreckless driving…he didn’t flee or fight the cop…he switched drivers to try to get out of it. It’s dumb he will pay his dues and will face the music…but my god there wouldn’t be anyone left working if people all got fired for this kind of stuff. Oh well no reason to argue…no one will change your mind. If he doesn’t get kicked off the team are you still watching next year? Just wondering.

I worked for a trucking company for 7 years and never had one of our drivers keep their job after reckless driving.  There is no way they would kept their jobs testing positive for drugs.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

My god this was not speeding it was reckless driving and resisting arrest.  Speeding is going 55 in a 45 and not 90 in a 40

My god reckless driving for speeding is just a Class C misdemeanor, which also includes driving to slow or passing a car on a slope or curve. 

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 1

This is a tough one, because he’s already been suspended. If that hadn’t happened then I think he sits for a few games at the beginning of the season and we move forward, but coach may see it differently and cut him loose. If that happens then we live with JHS, Gunn, Bates and probably a transfer at guard…we might be pleasantly surprised. From what I saw of JHS at the Geico nationals he seems capable of coming in and running the show from day one. Anyway, I wouldn’t want to be in CMW shoes, but that’s why he gets paid the big bucks. I trust his judgement and will be fine with either scenario. 

Edited by Hoosier4Life53
  • Like 1

What to do with XJ is Woodon’s call now. I am disappointed in him, but will refrain from commenting negatively against him on social media platforms because I am grown man, and I have my own children to worry about. I will say that trying to evade police and pulling into a parking lot to switch places with someone is very shady, and sometimes when people are trying to out run cops, very dangerous things can happen. My cousin has been in law enforcement for 15 years or so and has gone through several vehicles because of others’ reckless driving. I was really proud of X, for changing my mind about him earlier in the season. If he stays at IU, there can be a lot of success waiting for him, but he is going to have to prove himself all over again. Without Fife, and now Matta, some voices that were supposed to help guide Woodson are gone, and although others have stayed, it feels like Woodson is solely in charge now. ( maybe that is the way it should have been from the get go?) As I have said elsewhere, it is extra painful to have to have this kind of drama juxtaposed against a fabulous final four game between Duke/UNC, and watching a program like UNC go thru a resurgence, and like UK in the early 90’s, they were not dormant for long. This 20 year funk is getting harder and harder to deal with, but I am IU for life. In a lot of ways, I am glad it is not my burden to bear. Good luck to Coach Woodson. First time I have been whimsical about the Archie Miller days- usually pretty quiet off seasons. ;)

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I worked for a trucking company for 7 years and never had one of our drivers keep their job after reckless driving.  There is no way they would kept their jobs testing positive for drugs.

Scott, there is a huge difference in this offense depending on what your job is.  Of course, a truck driver, a bus driver, taxi driver, etc. have to be held to a different standard for driving offenses.  But, X is not one of those people.

Just like a manufacturing company shouldn't hire a convicted embezzler to run their accounting department.  But, is there any harm in hiring a very qualified accountant that had a reckless driving offense at age 21 (or however old X is)? 

BOB KNIGHT ASSAULTED A POLICE OFFICER AND KEPT HIS JOB.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I've mentioned that. I agree. 

No I know…just reiterating my view mostly. Woody is a new coach and trying to set his culture for the team. It is also a smaller group so a more tightly knit group that what effects one will certainly effect the group even more…and also one kid can also negatively effect the team as well….especially an upper class man. On a football team with whatever 90 some scholarships you are going to have multiple instances to deal with during a season I’m sure.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Scott, there is a huge difference in this offense depending on what your job is.  Of course, a truck driver, a bus driver, taxi driver, etc. have to be held to a different standard for driving offenses.  But, X is not one of those people.

Just like a manufacturing company shouldn't hire a convicted embezzler to run their accounting department.  But, is there any harm in hiring a very qualified accountant that had a reckless driving offense at age 21 (or however old X is)? 

BOB KNIGHT ASSAULTED A POLICE OFFICER AND KEPT HIS JOB.

Why I talked about truck drivers was a poster said truck drivers gets away with things like wreck less driving and failed drug test.