Offseason 2022

30 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

I agree to a certain extent, but some of this drama is just overdramatized by fans. I think IU fans are so passionate that anytime anything happens, they take it very personally. Some older fans are very hypocritical (Knight era), some just feel burned by Sampson, but most are just frustrated with the inconsistency ie not winning enough. If they were winning and/or had a deeper team, I would bet most would just say "see you later X" and I don't think that's cool. Like the old saying, "you don't throw the baby out with bathwater". If Woody thinks it's best for the program to move on, do it, he and the staff know best imho. 

It is absolutely about lack of on court results.  This final four and now Championship game is also a stark reminder of how far we have fallen.  We used to be in the same breath as those teams.  We have fallen completely off the cliff.

So having that, all this off court stuff that seems to occur every year just gets old.  And honestly, it isn't just the losing, we seem to have more than our share of WTF stuff every offseason.

Woodson's team, we will see what he does.  However, this is the part of college coaching that people predicted might be toughest for him.  The part where stupid young men do stupid young men things in the time between seasons.

• Like 3

My only input…thousands of people get reckless driving tickets, go thru diversion, etc. it’ll be interesting to see more details. 

he knew he was in deep $h!t when they got pulled over. Hence the switching seats. Shouldn’t be dismissed, he needs help and accountability more than ever. 

Matta is apparently healthy enough for Butler? Damn, woody got rid of the 2 people hired “for” him. Interesting next couple weeks looming…

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

going 90 in a 45?

Yes and it is still only considered a Class C Misdemeanor in Indiana, which usually amounts to a slap on the wrist. So I don't know what your point is. Yes it was stupid but  people need to quit acting like he did the crime of the century.

• Like 2

My hot take, my decision on X as Woodson would almost be completely controlled by what TJD decides.  If he leaves, I would probably ask X to go, turn the ball over to the young guys and start the rebuild.  I don't think we do much without TJD anyway.

If TJD is staying, I give him another chance and make a push for a BIG title.

• Sad 1

Just now, IUCrazy2 said:

My hot take, my decision on X as Woodson would almost be completely controlled by what TJD decides.  If he leaves, I would probably ask X to go, turn the ball over to the young guys and start the rebuild.  I don't think we do much without TJD anyway.

If TJD is staying, I give him another chance and make a push for a BIG title.

I doubt very much that whatever Trayce decides to do will have any impact on Woodsons decision about Xavier, nor should it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Yes and it is still only considered a Class C Misdemeanor in Indiana, which usually amounts to a slap on the wrist. So I don't know what your point is. Yes it was stupid but  people need to quit acting like he did the crime of the century.

He just got lucky that more didn't happen because he could if killed himself or others.  First let me say I am not comparing the crimes at all.  I never understood having an attempted murder charge instead of just a murder charge.  Just because the person didn't die shouldn't make the charge any less.  In this case of reckless driving and going 90 in a 45 I don't think it should be just be swept under the rug because nobody got hurt.

10 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

It is absolutely about lack of on court results.  This final four and now Championship game is also a stark reminder of how far we have fallen.  We used to be in the same breath as those teams.  We have fallen completely off the cliff.

So having that, all this off court stuff that seems to occur every year just gets old.  And honestly, it isn't just the losing, we seem to have more than our share of WTF stuff every offseason.

Woodson's team, we will see what he does.  However, this is the part of college coaching that people predicted might be toughest for him.  The part where stupid young men do stupid young men things in the time between seasons.

I wouldn't really know if IU has more WTF situations, I don't follow other programs very closely, but that's semi my point, I'd guess most programs have their share of issues, it's just most programs' fans don't care as much as ours. Every story/issue isn't talked about for weeks nor do they probably have a former player negatively flaming fans constantly, calling on fans to take sides against writers, coaches, the administration or players. 

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

He just got lucky that more didn't happen because he could if killed himself or others.  First let me say I am not comparing the crimes at all.  I never understood having an attempted murder charge instead of just a murder charge.  Just because the person didn't die shouldn't make the charge any less.  In this case of reckless driving and going 90 in a 45 I don't think it should be just be swept under the rug because nobody got hurt.

So by that logic, anyone going 35 miles per hour over the speed limit would get worst case scenario of vehicular homicide? 

Come on Scott...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Running a stop sign, speeding, not using your turn signal, DUI etc. anything you do in a car can kill someone. The worst thing he did in this situation was not stopping for the cops. This wouldn't be a story if that didn't happen. And by your attempted murder logic, punching someone would be a murder charge. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

My only input…thousands of people get reckless driving tickets, go thru diversion, etc. it’ll be interesting to see more details. 

he knew he was in deep $h!t when they got pulled over. Hence the switching seats. Shouldn’t be dismissed, he needs help and accountability more than ever. 

Matta is apparently healthy enough for Butler? Damn, woody got rid of the 2 people hired “for” him. Interesting next couple weeks looming…

Tells me we finally have a CEO again. It's his program. The man is going to run his ship how he sees fit. 

• Like 1

Do not know Xavier or what kind of person he is; however as said in another thread, in Society today seems like there has to be someone to blame, heads have to roll. There are no accidents and no passes on mistakes. No wonder there’ such division today. Be nice to strive to be nicer.

• Like 1

Just now, NCHoosier32 said:

still not getting that people don't think going 90 in a 45 and then trying to resist arrest isn't a big deal.  or that doing it after the Chicago incident doesn't matter.  

Its a deal but not big enough to get dismissed from the team. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, WRSMick55 said:

Do not know Xavier or what kind of person he is; however as said in another thread, in Society today seems like there has to be someone to blame, heads have to roll. There are no accidents and no passes on mistakes. No wonder there’ such division today. Be nice to strive to be nicer.

totally disagree.  society today is that it is never my fault.  blame it on everyone else.  

• Like 1

This is about more than just doing 90 in a 25 and in no way is it relative to a Walmart greeter in the same situation.

He’s very lucky no one was killed including himself or the other two in the car with him.

This is about compete disregard to the culture that a brand new coach is trying to establish. A mockery of the team rules and complete disrespect of the coaching staff, athletic department, Indiana University and his teammates.

Unlike the Walmart greeter, while XJ is on the team, he doesn’t get to clock out and be on his own time. Where arrest as such would likely be irrelevant to his job status. Instead he is also held accountable to rules set forth in his scholarship agreement on top of local law. He is held to a higher standard of expectations.

I think it’s wrong to say he should be kicked off the team from our perspective as fans. But, I can’t see how allowing him to continually make mistakes while also remaining a starter on the team is doing any good towards establishing a reputable & winning culture that parents of other players and recruits want their kids to be part of.

AEF53ACD-2AD4-4BDC-9273-5A4E56A527F6.jpeg

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

I doubt very much that whatever Trayce decides to do will have any impact on Woodsons decision about Xavier, nor should it.

Not sure about that. I actually believe who stays plays a part because you want your upper class man to be leaders or hace that strong leader on the team. It’s pretty clear XJ can’t be trusted to be that guy…and you want other guys for the young ones to emulate. If XJ is our lone senior…that can be an issue…kind of like the Green situation. I agree might be best for him to move on in that situation….just a lot of variables so this is why I just simply trust Woody to do what is best…us people watching 1000 miles high hace no clue what’s going on behind the scenes.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

still not getting that people don't think going 90 in a 45 and then trying to resist arrest isn't a big deal.  or that doing it after the Chicago incident doesn't matter.  

You're a teacher right? And I'd assume you've read the United States Constitution?

There's this little clause in the 5th amendment that states...

"nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law"

That process is ongoing. Wouldn't it be prudent to let it play out before coming to any conclusion?

As for the Windy City 5 incident, breaking curfew is all we truly know, and that's not exactly murder...you indicate you're skeptical that curfew is all that it involved, but I'd like to see a fact presented to back that up...

No one is saying that the charges, if all true, "aren't a big deal." But most fair people at least let the facts play out before they grab the torches and pitchforks...

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I think we all think it’s a big deal. Most just are saying it isn’t an automatic dismissal unless this is put into greater context. Most feel comfortable with whatever Woody thinks…you deal with teenagers you are going to have some ups and downs. Most of the time they are out of sight and mind and kept under wraps….in house. This is just high profile because it happened the way it did. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

totally disagree.  society today is that it is never my fault.  blame it on everyone else.  

I agree, there is a lot of non- responsibility but that ties in with the somebody got to pay  attitude that exists. And yes going 90 and resisting arrest is no doubt a bid deal and there should be consequences. But in  in the scale of criminal activity not sure if this isn’t lower on the scale. Consequences neared to match the “crime”. Don’t know the details And don’t know the kid so don’t If  this a pattern. And no, breaking curfew doesn’t count.

I’m going to finish with this. Woody is not Knight….and he isn’t Sampson…I’m not worried he is living in the 70s nor that he will let the program get out of control. I’m more worried about the on the court stuff but that’s another story. He will figure it out and do what’s best…proven that in Chicago..so im just going to watch this play out and save all my righteous  indignation for more important things.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Not sure about that. I actually believe who stays plays a part because you want your upper class man to be leaders or hace that strong leader on the team. It’s pretty clear XJ can’t be trusted to be that guy…and you want other guys for the young ones to emulate. If XJ is our lone senior…that can be an issue…kind of like the Green situation. I agree might be best for him to move on in that situation….just a lot of variables so this is why I just simply trust Woody to do what is best…us people watching 1000 miles high hace no clue what’s going on behind the scenes.

I have no problem with X being our on-court leader.

Off court? He's obviously got two strikes against him, but based on what we know for sure about those two incidents it's hard to act like he's a bad apple. I would bet more young males have committed reckless driving than those that haven't, and the same with curfew. It's dumb and he got caught doing both and should be handled accordingly, but l don't know that we can go beyond saying he did a couple dumb things just yet. 

• Like 2