Offseason 2022

9 minutes ago, Bushmage said:

40 in a 30 is no longer felony reckless driving. So you're describing an entirely different situation with the law now.

It’s still man slaughter potentially if you hit and kill a pedestrian while speeding.

The likelihood of charges and conviction are lower, but it’s still there. 

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Do you actually think he will be convicted with a felony?

Do you think breaking a curfew rule the night before a game is the same as doing something that’s probably not even directly addressed in team rules in the off season?

Context matters a lot. 

The context I have is that in one scenario a player misses a curfew and in the other the same player has a felony on the table. Of course I don't think he's going to be convicted of the felony. It doesn't mean he didn't do exactly what we're told he did. Negotiating it down to a misdemeanor will be a part of his court process. I have no control or relevance to how the court handles this. What I do know is we set an extremely high standard for players to follow, everyone celebrated the punishments handed out when a rule was broken because mike "took charge", and now that something legitimately serious is on the table everyone seems to be wishy washy on what to do.

Xavier has to be kicked off the team or significantly suspended, or we have to admit morals and rules don't actually mean anything as they are handed out on a case by case basis dependent upon how much we can afford to actually give up. To reiterate, I don't want him kicked off the team. I just also don't want to hear about how moral and righteous we are either. We seem to hear a lot of that when the stakes are low, and not so much now.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

The same thing would’ve been true if he was going 40. He didn’t hit anyone though or even come close as far as we know.

Do any of the people that think he should definitely be gone think Bohannon should have been at Iowa last season? You know, for actually committing a violent crime instead of doing something that could’ve had violent consequences?

Do you think anyone on this board would want Bohannon to play if there were a way to have him not play?

Seriously, there is a huge difference between going 40 and 90 on Walnut. I'm sure you recognize that. Obviously he didn't hit someone, but that is not the point. 

3 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

....Interesting post I found on a rival IU message board.....

"Some people who were there are saying another car with a gun was at a stoplight next to X's car, there were some words exchanged or something like that. I'm not sure this is solely a Mike Woodson decision,....this might be a Scott Dolson, President Whitten, and Woodson decision. We've had some football players make some really bad decisions lately, beating up girlfriend, having pot in the car, and running from the police, none of them were dismissed."

If this were true, would it change any opinions around here?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

It’s still man slaughter potentially if you hit and kill a pedestrian while speeding.

The likelihood of charges and conviction are lower, but it’s still there. 

Isn’t manslaughter a possibility if you hit a pedestrian even while going the speed limit?

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Bushmage said:

walnut is a tight, very urban street that people are crossing constantly.

It depends on what part of Walnut. Unless things have changed, it's still Walnut north of 17th street, and there is plenty of space out there to get up to that speed with ease. I believe there's also a section between 17th and 10th where there aren't any stoplights. Once you get over the hill and past 10th, though, it's a whole series of stoplights. I also haven't seen where this incident happened on Walnut, so that could make all of this moot.

Source: delivery driver and relentless speeder in Bloomington for 7+ years.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

If this were true, would it change any opinions around here?

perhaps. But that's the whole point we're all agreeing on while at the same time finding was to disagree. Let's not jump to conclusions....it will be dealt with based on the circumstances that are unknown to us. 

jump-to-conclusion-think-again.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

28 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I didn't realize this but this wasn't Xavier's first speeding incident.  On the other board and the DD show they said he received another ticket for going ,90 on I69.  This just shows his lack of judgement and his lack of respect for the program.

I was doing 85 on I69 down here in Houston on my commute in this morning. 

If I hadn't, I'd have gotten run over by a dually...

Called "keeping with the traffic flow" here in Texas...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, tdhoosier said:

perhaps. But that's the whole point we're all agreeing on while at the same time finding was to disagree. Let's not jump to conclusions....it will be dealt with based on the circumstances that are unknown to us. 

jump-to-conclusion-think-again.gif

I hadn't fulfilled my part of this threads "jumping to conclusions"  quota and I was falling behind...

• Haha 2

I would be beyond shocked if XJ was ever convicted of a felony. Most likely he will plead guilty to the reckless driving and the F6 RLE will be dismissed/reduced. He will do some classes/probation/pay some fines etc. This is Monroe County after all, not Greene, Owen, or Lawrence. People who are charged with far more serious crimes end up not even doing prison time...

Straying off topic here, but for example, a man killed his girlfriends 2 month old son in 2019 here and did a few years in jail as his case went through the process. He ended up pleading guilty to some lesser charges and will do the rest of his sentence on home detention. This is par for the course. https://www.heraldtimesonline.com/story/news/crime/2022/01/19/bloomington-infant-murder-case-charges-could-be-reduced-to-neglect-for-dakota-king/6561968001/

• Like 1

Here is my take:

Johnson made a bad decision initially and thought he might be able to get away with it by evading the police. He quickly rethought this bad decision and pulled over and stopped. By the book, he 100% absolutely committed resisting law enforcement... but given these facts he will have an easier time trying to get his case plead down/reduced. It was a stupid decision. It was also very stupid to try to get someone else to take the fall for it. I don't know what the right answer is for how IU Athletics should handle it.

47 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I didn't realize this but this wasn't Xavier's first speeding incident.  On the other board and the DD show they said he received another ticket for going ,90 on I69.  This just shows his lack of judgement and his lack of respect for the program.

This is where context matters.  90 on I69, a bunch of us have done that.  Somewhat stupid, somewhat dangerous, but really could not care less if that is what would have happened.

90 on Walnut, cops chasing him, blowing stop signs...that's a teeny tiny (cough a whole bunch cough) different.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

This is where context matters.  90 on I69, a bunch of us have done that.  Somewhat stupid, somewhat dangerous, but really could not care less if that is what would have happened.

90 on Walnut, cops chasing him, blowing stop signs...that's a teeny tiny (cough a whole bunch cough) different.

Just shows a pattern of bad decisions and lack of respect for his coach and program.

• Like 1

Trying to figure out if the law even matters any more. He could have told the officer he was on his way to burn down the police station to protest his oppression and been fine. Maybe a celeb or our VP would have bailed him out.

In reality, I'm not sure how CMW handles this one. He suspended five for the same game when the season and the tournament were in doubt apparently over a curfew rule. It's X's second strike that we know of, so being dismissed shouldn't be considered off the table.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I was doing 85 on I69 down here in Houston on my commute in this morning. 

If I hadn't, I'd have gotten run over by a dually...

Called "keeping with the traffic flow" here in Texas...

Ain't that the truth.  I flew down to Dallas years ago to pick up an off-lease vehicle and coming east out of Dallas on the interstate, EVERYBODY doing at least 85.  I made great time.  Home in 12 hours flat...averaged 70MPH...840 miles.  Didn't slow down until I reached revenue-hungry Illinois.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

Ain't that the truth.  I flew down to Dallas years ago to pick up an off-lease vehicle and coming east out of Dallas on the interstate, EVERYBODY doing at least 85.  I made great time.  Home in 12 hours flat...averaged 70MPH...840 miles.  Didn't slow down until I reached revenue-hungry Illinois.

I know what you mean because 465 in Indy you have a hard time keeping up with the traffic.  The bad thing is my company vehicle is monitored by GPS.  You get beeped if you go 8 over the speed limit.  So I have to put my cruise control on so I don't go too fast

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

Good deal. The whole "switching seats" thing could have went down about 100 different ways. As long as when the cops got there he was reasonable and respectful with the cops, figure out what the punishment needs to be... and lets go. 

Still gotta figure our front court out lol 

• Like 4