Offseason 2022

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Yesterday some of us spent a lot of time talking about Home Depot. Is it a coincidence that I got an email that I did not sign up for and ads started appearing on my laptop and phone from Home Depot

Blame it on some random Home Depot guy who did nothing else yesterday but participate in this forum. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

Yesterday some of us spent a lot of time talking about Home Depot. Is it a coincidence that I got an email that I did not sign up for and ads started appearing on my laptop and phone from Home Depot

I've had that happen before also. Kind of makes you go hmm that is odd. 👍

Just now, Hoosier51 said:

I know that they are monitoring even if my wife and I talk about different places to go on vacation the ads just magically appear. Not a day goes by that I don't get multiple deals for the Maldives. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

I know that they are monitoring even if my wife and I talk about different places to go on vacation the ads just magically appear. Not a day goes by that I don't get multiple deals for the Maldives. 

During Purdue football game week I participated in a thread discussing Smellermaker cheerleaders/coeds.

I promptly started getting stuff from Bordens  promoting Elsie the cow.

• Haha 9

26 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I posted this story before in another context but it reminds me of a Jimmy Johnson story when he was the Dallas head coach.  He cut a player who was an end-of-the-roster special teams guy for falling asleep in a meeting.  

The media tried to play gotcha by picking on JJ for cutting an end of the roster guy.  So someone asked him what he’d do if Troy Aikman fell asleep in a meeting.  JJ said, I would say “Troy, wake up.”

As another example, Bob Costas has a new show on HBO.  He had JJ Redick on, who was articulate.  He said the same thing.  You weigh how good a player is versus how much of a jerk he is (he used a more colorful word than jerk).  I think that’s exactly right.  And it extends past sports.  

Here, three of the Windy City five are Gandhi. The two remaining are the good players.  The three that are gone, I’d say it wasn’t a coincidence.  

There are certain things we don’t know about X.  For example, we don’t know exactly what went down at Northwestern.  We also don’t know what Woody told them at that time.  For example, if he put them on a zero tolerance probation, then getting arrested might be a problem.

But I fall into the Jimmy Johnson, JJ Redick camp.  

Spot on.  I’ve always said in any relationship with another person, you weigh the positives and the negatives (because everyone has both) to determine whether it’s worthwhile to maintain the relationship.  And I’ve also said that’s why Knight was fired….not just because there were more negatives, but because there were also fewer positives.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, IUJoe said:

Spot on.  I’ve always said in any relationship with another person, you weigh the positives and the negatives (because everyone has both) to determine whether it’s worthwhile to maintain the relationship.  And I’ve also said that’s why Knight was fired….not just because there were more negatives, but because there were also fewer positives.

Several years ago there was a prominent news story about a rogue investment trader at a major bank that lost $2 billion on unauthorized trades. One of the best lines I heard at the time was, "What do they call a rogue trader who makes $2 billion? Answer: Vice President"

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

34 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Imagine the adds @5foulsgets.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

19 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Watching the games.. We either need Pack/a different transfer 2/Bates to take a jump. Our 2 guard has to improve a ton. It's so much more then the 3pt %. It's the amount of 3 point attempts, the amount of good shots that position can get for other people. 

How could anyone watch Kansas last night and not think about their tiny guard transfer (Mancini?) and envision Pack in that type of role.   

I think Woody has prototype sizes for different positions.  I like the idea but you can make accommodations for exceptional situations.  You just don’t want to come off your prototypes too often because eventually you’ve lost your identity IMO.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

How could anyone watch Kansas last night and not think about their tiny guard transfer (Mancini?) and envision Pack in that type of role.   

I think Woody has prototype sizes for different positions.  I like the idea but you can make accommodations for exceptional situations.  You just don’t want to come off your prototypes too often because eventually you’ve lost your identity IMO.  

Woodson Prototypes?….. You should be talking about Painter.

30 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Woodson Prototypes?….. You should be talking about Painter.

Yes. Painter likes the 7’2 plus guys and power players but Woody has a prototype too.  Look at who he recruits.  He likes length and quickness.  My point is a 6’0 guy might not be his prototype but he can make an exception for a guy with that kind of production especially when he needs the exact attributes Pack brings.   You just don’t want to compromise on your prototypes too often.