Offseason 2022

7 minutes ago, HoosierMama said:

I'm from Center Grove and while I don't know Trayce I know a couple of people who do know him and I've heard that he's just a really good kid with a good head on his shoulders.  Everything I've seen the last 3 years has reinforced that tenfold.  He will always be one of my favorite Hoosiers.  

One of my best friends coached TJD in HS. Constantly raved about him as a teammate and person! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MoyeCowbell said:

It might just be semantics, but does an NIL terminate at graduation? Can you have a NIL while not playing/fulfilling your eligibility? Is it just then considered a standard sponsorship deal?

They just signed for a year. NIL is for college players. They will be back. Why would you sign a year deal a month before you leave school.

Edited by Indykev

29 minutes ago, HoosierMama said:

I'm from Center Grove and while I don't know Trayce I know a couple of people who do know him and I've heard that he's just a really good kid with a good head on his shoulders.  Everything I've seen the last 3 years has reinforced that tenfold.  He will always be one of my favorite Hoosiers.  

He's definitely one of my favorites for sure. Now if they (with him) did some real damage in the BIG and tourney, he'd really really be one of my top 5 players. He's super fun to watch and easy to root for when he has it going. If he could just  take the next step with any sort of outside shot, just to keep defenders honest, he'd be an All American. He should work hard on baseline "area" threes like Race started to hit with some consistency. I wouldn't even worry about the intermediate stuff. 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Also remember that back then the players weren't athletic at all. LOL!

Correct, as a whole, athletes weren’t as good back then. There are of course exceptions that I am sure you will point out. 

EDIT: weren’t as good = weren’t as athletic for the point I was making. 

Edited by KoB2011

22 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/33684066/only-21-130-ncaa-fbs-level-schools-say-plans-provide-allowed-academic-bonus-payments-athletes-year

IU isn't on that list. A ton of SEC schools are, though. IU needs to add this incentive if they want to keep up.

With the big ten media rights set to expire in 2023 I wonder how much of this also has to do with cash on hand and equity across all the sports.  Articles have shown the BIG could get over $1billion a year for the tv rights and that NBC would like to swoop in and take over as the provider from Fox.  So I wonder if this is more of a timing issue as the SEC network signed the more recent contract and they have money to spend.  I would hope once the new contract is in place ( I would expect this year to prep for 2023) they would be able to implement this conference wide and for all sports.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Correct, as a whole, athletes weren’t as good back then. There are of course exceptions that I am sure you will point out. 

EDIT: weren’t as good = weren’t as athletic for the point I was making. 

I think it's more a matter of training, not athleticism...

They start training and specializing earlier than they use to. 

You give a guy like Wilt Chamberlain the training methods of today, he'd rival anybody currently playing in the NBA...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

You give a guy like Wilt Chamberlain the training methods of today, he'd rival anybody currently playing in the NBA...

Sure, but he didn’t have it. And I did mention exceptions…

Athletes today are more athletic than they were in the 80s. I’m sure if athletes back then access to the training and nutrition they do today that would largely make up the gap, but they didn’t have it and the game is full of better athletes today as a result. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Wilt was good in Track and Field and volleyball.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Sure, but he didn’t have it. And I did mention exceptions…

Athletes today are more athletic than they were in the 80s. I’m sure if athletes back then access to the training and nutrition they do today that would largely make up the gap, but they didn’t have it and the game is full of better athletes today as a result. 

Let's put it like this...

As far as God given athletic talent goes, I don't think there are any more today then there were 40 years ago...

Just now, IUFLA said:

Let's put it like this...

As far as God given athletic talent goes, I don't think there are any more today then there were 40 years ago...

I mostly agree, although I do think we continue to evolve as a species and get better so there is a slight variation up and to the right as time goes on. I don't think 40 years (two generations) makes a significant difference in that.

But we also know that there's a lot more to it than god given talent