Offseason 2022

3 minutes ago, slojoe said:

Wilt was good in Track and Field and volleyball.

He certainly was...wonder if anyone in the NBA today could match this..

"As an avid track and field athlete, Chamberlain high jumped 6 feet, 6 inches, ran the 440 yards in 49.0 seconds and the 880 yards in 1:58.3, put the shot 53 feet, 4 inches, and long jumped 22 feet."

I kinda doubt it...

• Like 2

Just now, IUFLA said:

"As an avid track and field athlete, Chamberlain high jumped 6 feet, 6 inches, ran the 440 yards in 49.0 seconds and the 880 yards in 1:58.3, put the shot 53 feet, 4 inches, and long jumped 22 feet."

I kinda doubt it...

Wilt's picture in the dictionary by "freak athlete".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

But we also know that there's a lot more to it than god given talent

Yes, but the more God given talent, the more that can be further developed through nutrition, training, and coaching, no?

Which was my initial point.

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I kinda doubt it...

Former Pacer Darnell Hillman cleared 7-feet in the high jump and nearly made the 1968 Olympic team.  But Wilt was amazing, and largely untrained in all those other events.  I doubt Hillman could even lift a shot put, let alone throw it.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I kinda doubt it...

Jim Thorpe says, "meh"

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

But could Jim Thorpe have scored 100 points in a professional basketball game? Hmmm? 😉

Well, maybe.  Although it was little known until recently, he did play with a professional barnstorming team made up entirely of Indians.  Unfortunately the games were not well-documented.

He did have a 95 yard wind-aided punt in pro football.

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I kinda doubt it...

There's probably 5-10 guys in the NBA that could be on Team USA Track and Field if they specialized.  Probably 10-20 NFL guys.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

There's probably 5-10 guys in the NBA that could be on Team USA Track and Field if they specialized.  Probably 10-20 NFL guys.  

I'd agree...but good luck finding even one with the breadth of athletic skills that Chamberlain possessed...

13 hours ago, Indykev said:

They just signed for a year. NIL is for college players. They will be back. Why would you sign a year deal a month before you leave school.

Unfortunately, the signing does not lock them into anything. They don't have stipulations in the agreement. They can easily make the $ and not come back next year. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

The 80s had better athletes, offense, and defense. 🤣🤣🤣

Next we're going to say the music was the best too! Just kidding, I agree with that one! 

Heard of Bo Jackson? I believe he played in the 80s...anyone currently that can stack up to him in two sports? Match his 40 time? 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, btownqb said:

The 80s had better athletes, offense, and defense. 🤣🤣🤣

Next we're going to say the music was the best too! Just kidding, I agree with that one! 

The 80’s movies are definitely the best     

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

A lot of things better in the 80's

- I was in better shape in the 80's

- I had more hair in the 80's

- College age girls occasionally found me attractive in the 80's

- I did not have to get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night in the 80's.

- I could eat whatever I wanted in the 80's

Yep.  The 80's were much better.

lots less alimony in the 80's

• Haha 6