Offseason 2022

6 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I don’t think Kopp is as bad as conventional wisdom on this board says for some reason.  He shot fine.  Not great.  But he hit some big shots.  When we finally clicked late, he went out to the corner and we improved drastically with spacing on offense.   We started winning big games which had been elusive.  I don’t think you can discount that.  We played well finally and Kopp was in the middle of it.   Kopp is a useful player IMO.   

There was a period earlier in the season where they were trying to find Kopp’s role and some people won’t let that go.  IMO if the season ended like that, he wouldn’t be back.  But the reality is, he clicked and found a role later in the season and the staff has a plan for him in view of all that.   Things evolved and he got better.  

He is a willing defender too.  Not great but he puts forth effort.  I think he has a solid role next year.  

And he isn't out of position or get caught ball watching-- Phinisee, Stewart, and Race-- talking to you. He also might not get a ton of Drebs, he doesn't give up a ton of Orebs either. 

Personally, I think this is friggin excellent post and it's exactly how I see it, I just don't put things in words as well as the rest of you. 

more like a 15-22mpg guy this year, rather then a 25mpg guy. That is up to Bates/TG and others though. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, btownqb said:

in this scenario he wasn't on the wing though. He was weak short corner. 

And I agree, all of that could work, once. It isn't sustainable as consistent offense though because everything is so predicated on XJ's ability to dribble drive. Which is he very solid at ... but we have to have more dudes that can help him with that stuff-- JHS/TG/Bates-- rather then someone like JG at the 3, who has not shown the ability to create for others. 

Just my preference-- TJD at the 5, whoever at the 4, 3 guards.... def reb/forced TO and run. I hate running sets. Get a ball screen, create a close out and lets gooooo. More skilled players on the court, consistently. 

Without going back to see why is your 3 in the short corner

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

Without going back to see why is your 3 in the short corner

@5fouls was saying-- since JG is struggling to guard the perimeter, what could be the positives to him playing the 3 on the offensive end. I believe, at that point he was saying ball screen by TJD... RT on the wing/corner for spacing. 

Then JG is either short corner or posting his man.. with the idea being he has a size mismatch. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

in this scenario he wasn't on the wing though. He was weak short corner. 

And I agree, all of that could work, once. It isn't sustainable as consistent offense though because everything is so predicated on XJ's ability to dribble drive. Which is he very solid at ... but we have to have more dudes that can help him with that stuff-- JHS/TG/Bates-- rather then someone like JG at the 3, who has not shown the ability to create for others. 

Just my preference-- TJD at the 5, whoever at the 4, 3 guards.... def reb/forced TO and run. I hate running sets. Get a ball screen, create a close out and lets gooooo. More skilled players on the court, consistently. 

I think it works a lot more than once. I waa not at practice everyday for 3 years watching RMK and staff without learning a few things on how to get shots for the guy you want in the right position. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

@5fouls was saying-- since JG is struggling to guard the perimeter, what could be the positives to him playing the 3 on the offensive end. I believe, at that point he was saying ball screen by TJD... RT on the wing/corner for spacing. 

Then JG is either short corner or posting his man.. with the idea being he has a size mismatch. 

That's fine but if he is the 3 he will be on the wing alone and with an athletic wing the sky is the limit

Just now, 5 championships said:

Haha ok

Like for real... just the conspiracy has to come out? I don't get that stuff. It isn't how coaches or the sports world operate.

If JG wanted to play the 3, he needed to show the ability to do so more often in practice. There isn't anything more to this then that. Stop trying to make a player play a position he doesn't play. 

20 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I don’t think Kopp is as bad as conventional wisdom on this board says for some reason.  He shot fine.  Not great.  But he hit some big shots.  When we finally clicked late, he went out to the corner and we improved drastically with spacing on offense.   We started winning big games which had been elusive.  I don’t think you can discount that.  We played well finally and Kopp was in the middle of it.   Kopp is a useful player IMO.   

There was a period earlier in the season where they were trying to find Kopp’s role and some people won’t let that go.  IMO if the season ended like that, he wouldn’t be back.  But the reality is, he clicked and found a role later in the season and the staff has a plan for him in view of all that.   Things evolved and he got better.  

He is a willing defender too.  Not great but he puts forth effort.  I think he has a solid role next year.  

If he wasn’t Kopp that clicked it was the fact that we starting running a lot more pick n rolls with X instead of just dumping it inside and everyone standing. 

we got TJD the ball in space and on lobs rolling down hill. That was the difference. Not Kopp. Kopp was a nice observer in the corner while all this was happening 

Edited by 5 championships

I love Race and what’s not to like? Phenomenal motor and exceptionally tough kid.  

Having said that, if he left his spot for JG and TJD came back, I’d be interested in that.  JG needs to get better.  I get that.  But he’s got an offseason to improve.  

If you play Trayce, JG, and maybe a new option on the wing (Woody wants a defender there and a shooter) plus some of our guards, we start looking a heck of a lot like those 4 out and 1 in, switchable, positionless type teams that are very tough to beat late innthr season.  Think Arkansas. 

• Like 2

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

I never said he was a wing. I said if he is your 3 he will be on the wing a bunch. I don't like the idea of him at the 3. I just answered the question on how to get the lob. You asked I answered

I can understand how a wing can get a lob. I didn't understand how if you ball screen, and I switch it, how you will get a lob from your weakside short corner ducking in. My guy isn't going to help off of JG because he isn't a rim defender to begin with. 

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Like for real... just the conspiracy has to come out? I don't get that stuff. It isn't how coaches or the sports world operate.

If JG wanted to play the 3, he needed to show the ability to do so more often in practice. There isn't anything more to this then that. Stop trying to make a player play a position he doesn't play. 

Agree to disagree. There’s no changing your mind if it smacked you in the face like Will Smith and your not changing mine

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I will never understand this desire we always have to move these athletic 4's that we get to the wing. We did the same thing with Justin Smith who was clearly an athletic 4, not a wing. 

I don’t want Kopp starting either, but he was the much better option. He's way ahead of JG as a perimeter defender (JG was awful on the perimeter defensively),  he takes care of the ball incredibly better. He fouls less and while he needed to be much better, he spaces the floor better. 

JG is an athletic, rebounding, weak-side shot-blocking 4, who is developing as a stretch 4. 

Without an incredible amount of development, he is not a wing. 

JG isn’t your conventional wing for sure but he would of gave us better minutes this year and a better chance to win then Kopp at that position in my opinion 

2 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

If he wasn’t Kopp that clicked it was the fact that we starting running a lot more pick n rolls with X instead of just dumping it inside and everyone standing. 

we got TJD the ball in space and on lobs rolling down hill. That was the difference. Not Kopp. Kopp was a nice observer in the corner while all this was happening 

Who shot a better % from 3? 

Miller Kopp, Brad Davison, or Nova's starting 2 guard... Justin Moore? He also out shot KU's starting PG. 

Why was there space for TJD to operate, I wonder? 

1 minute ago, 5 championships said:

You’re correct about those other points.  My position isn’t that Kopp was the only reason.  But to pretend he wasn’t one of the reasons is just divorced from reality.  He was clicking with his positioning and importantly gave Trayce the room so he could operate in space much more.  It was way more than the pick n roll.  He used to try to play Kofi in the post.  That was not going to work.  He took him into space and Kofi can’t move well enough to cover that.  The results spoke for themselves.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I can understand how a wing can get a lob. I didn't understand how if you ball screen, and I switch it, how you will get a lob from your weakside short corner ducking in. My guy isn't going to help off of JG because he isn't a rim defender to begin with. 

I agree with that but sometimes the easiest player to get a lob for is one closely guarded. 

Just now, btownqb said:

Who shot a better % from 3? 

Miller Kopp, Brad Davison, or Nova's starting 2 guard... Justin Moore? He also out shot KU's starting PG. 

Why was there space for TJD to operate, I wonder? 

Haha all those guys would run circles around Kopp. All Kopp can do is stand and shoot and he wasn’t great at that

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

You’re correct about those other points.  My position isn’t that Kopp was the only reason.  But to pretend he wasn’t one of the reasons is just divorced from reality.  He was clicking with his positioning and importantly gave Trayce the room so he could operate in space much more.  It was way more than the pick n roll.  He used to try to play Kofi in the post.  That was not going to work.  He took him into space and Kofi can’t move well enough to cover that.  The results spoke for themselves.  

Yea Kopp stood in the corner well

20 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I’m going to make you an offer you can’t refuse.  I like the Breakfast Club a lot.  But Godfather 1 and 2 are at the top for me.   I’d probably take 2 over 1 just because of where the story arc was.  But man, Sonny and the toll booth the first time I saw it..  and the Michael scene in the restaurant.  Holy smokes that was riveting.  

I'm going to respectfully disagree....lol

To any of us whole went to high school in 80's this is by far one of the top 5 movies! I listened to and loved (still do), 80's alternative music and the "Breakfast Club" sort of personifies a time capsule to those fond 80's memories. Man, I love that movie.. Give me The Fixx, Psychedelic Furs, Depeche Mode, Duran Duran, etc.....all day! 

• Thanks 1