Offseason 2022

2 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

Kopp is not good haha I have yet to talk to anyone outside of here that thinks he should been on the court. 

Oh, yeah, see I haven't spoken with anyone... besides on here, that doesn't see his value. We can all see he needs to shoot a little better, that's a given.... but his actual play-- isn't awful. Especially at less mpg. 

JG is the one that isn't good, in certain spots. Example-- handling the ball and defending on the perimeter. 

I have not once said Kopp was good. Not once. 

29 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

You obviously didn't grow up in Bucktown 😉

No I didn't....I know the place well. When I was a kid, that place in Martinsville scared me.... I moved to Paragon in the 6th grade and hated the image that people got from that town. I lived out in the country. I always said, " I live in Paragon, but not in town, the country." Sounds shallow, I know....I was a kid in the 80's.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Hold on... I thought the lineup that had the issue was the starting lineup? I would challenge you to please go back and watch replays... I don't believe those lineups regularly struggled. I thought it was an asset every bit as much as it was a negative. 

@ Iowa in the first half.. that lineup was bad

vs Minny at home, in the first H, it won us the game

58 minutes ago, btownqb said:

imo.. you're misremembering the length those guys truly played together and the overall effectiveness. imo you are remembering the bad. 

I said imo twice. That entire post was not meant to sound disrespectful.  

I'm not going to go back and watch every game, but I think these types of line ups didn't kill us once....possibly twice in Big Ten play. I believe one of those times Lander hit a pair of 3. I also remembering you made sure we knew the line up was working that time. 

Every other time it killed our momentum. There are a couple of game threads where I even posted the score when the line up went in and when the line up went out. You are saying we mis-remembered it, but I think it's the other way around. Our fanbase was salivating with hatred towards the line up and in almost every single game thread we bitched about it IN THE MOMENT. This wasn't our imagination. 

And you can say that it's only 3-5 minutes, but with these lineups (specifically without one of TJD, Race or XJ on the floor) there was often a 5 point swing in the wrong direction. We lost 6 games by 5 points or less. 

To resolve this I think we should ask Scott because he has the photographic memory. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Oh, yeah, see I haven't spoken with anyone... besides on here, that doesn't see his value. We can all see he needs to shoot a little better, that's a given.... but his actual play-- isn't awful. Especially at less mpg. 

JG is the one that isn't good, in certain spots. Example-- handling the ball and defending on the perimeter. 

I have not once said Kopp was good. Not once. 

Ok this has gotten old. 

My original point is I think we should of experimented with Geronimo at the 3. Not because he would be an awesome 3 but I thought he would bring more positives than Kopp. Kopp has better stats in areas but i think Geronimo would been much better with the first unit. And yes I know Geronimo natural position is a 4 for sure. It would of also been a way to split Kopp and stew up since I believe they weren’t very good on the court together. Neither can make plays for themselves or anyone else. That makes it tough. 

anyways for the sake of the board I’m moving on from discussion 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I'm not going to go back and watch every game, but I think these types of line ups didn't kill us once....possibly twice in Big Ten play. I believe one of those times Lander hit a pair of 3. I also remembering you made sure we knew the line up was working that time. 

Every other time it killed our momentum. There are a couple of game threads where I even posted the score when the line up went in and when the line up went out. You are saying we mis-remembered it, but I think it's the other way around. Our fanbase was salivating with hatred towards the line up and in almost every single game thread we bitched about it IN THE MOMENT. This wasn't our imagination. 

And you can say that it's only 3-5 minutes, but with these lineups (specifically without one of TJD, Race or XJ on the floor) there was often a 5 point swing in the wrong direction. We lost 6 games by 5 points or less. 

To resolve this I think we should ask Scott because he has the photographic memory. 

Why? So you are just only going off these opinions watching the game once, live? 

TD, you don't need a photographic memory when you watch the friggin games 3 or 4 times a piece. 

I don't categorize what is said in a game thread as any sort of smart analysis at all. It's usually people just being mad and posting. 

Edited by btownqb

I legitimately can't understand why anyone thinks TJD, Race, and JG playing together last year would've worked better than the lineups we used. Our biggest issues on offense were shooting and spacing. Taking MK out for JG would've made both of those worse, not to mention downgrading our perimeter defense. JG also struggled with fouling too much (averaged 4.6 fouls per 40), which would've just been worse if he had to guard quicker perimeter players that he certainly would've struggled to keep in front of him.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

No I didn't....I know the place well. When I was a kid, that place in Martinsville scared me.... I moved to Paragon in the 6th grade and hated the image that people got from that town. I lived out in the country. I always said, " I live in Paragon, but not in town, the country." Sounds shallow, I know....I was a kid in the 80's.

When I went to junior high, there was only the one over by the hospital on the east side of town. The initial mixing of the 4 elementary schools, the Bucktowners, and the kids from Paragon was wild...learned quick if you called a Bucktowner a Bucktowner, you'd better duck...

Had a lot of friends from Paragon though...

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Why? So you are just only going off these opinions watching the game once, live? 

TD, you don't need a photographic memory when you watch the friggin games 3 or 4 times a piece. 

Well, because I don’t have time to and I’m not a masochist. Lol

You’ve went back and analyzed these games? 

• Like 1

Just now, tdhoosier said:

Well, because I don’t have time to and I’m not a masochist. Lol

You’ve went back and analyzed these games? 

I understand not having time. I didn't mean it like I'm a superior fan because I watch these games multiple times. You miss 80% of the game watching it live, and as a coach, I want to be able to see more then just what I can see live. 

I watch each game, counting it being played live, at least 3 times. 

1 hour ago, 5 championships said:

JG isn’t your conventional wing for sure but he would of gave us better minutes this year and a better chance to win then Kopp at that position in my opinion 

Agree to disagree. Kopp is better defensively on the perimeter, he turns it over at a much lower rate, he spaces the floor better (despite his percentage, part of it is perception to the defense) and he fouls less. 

Again, I fully agree we need an upgrade at that 2nd wing spot, but just completely disagree that JG is that upgrade. 

• Like 3

imo.. you're misremembering the length those guys truly played together and the overall effectiveness. imo you are remembering the bad. 

I said imo twice. That entire post was not meant to sound disrespectful.  

Lol.  It is ok to disagree with me.  I won't rip your head off. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

When I went to junior high, there was only the one over by the hospital on the east side of town. The initial mixing of the 4 elementary schools, the Bucktowners, and the kids from Paragon was wild...learned quick if you called a Bucktowner a Bucktowner, you'd better duck...

You must have gone to East Middle School. That's where all the townie's and most of the rich kids went. I first went to Green Township Elementary for two years, then moved to town and went to Smith Elementary, moved again and ended up going to West Middle School. I lived about 5 miles from the Paragon Speedway. We could always here the roar of the cars on a Friday and Saturday night.....😆

I am ashamed to say that I have called people back then Bucktowners a time or two.... 

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Did you graduate from Martinsville, if so what year.....?

Sorry guys,..........I know I am sooooo of topic with all this non IU stuff. I loved the 80's and loved my younger years....🙂

3 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Did you graduate from Martinsville, if so what year.....?

Sorry guys,..........I know I am sooooo of topic with all this non IU stuff. I loved the 80's and loved my younger years....🙂

I didn't. Went to Martinsville schools from 2nd grade (Poston Road) through my junior year in high school. Finished at Franklin Community. Class of 1975...

But, I consider myself an Artesian...always...

15 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree to disagree. Kopp is better defensively on the perimeter, he turns it over at a much lower rate, he spaces the floor better (despite his percentage, part of it is perception to the defense) and he fouls less. 

Again, I fully agree we need an upgrade at that 2nd wing spot, but just completely disagree that JG is that upgrade. 

I don't know.  JG is young raw player skills wise.  Whose to say he won't work hard and make a big improvement. Based on this past season you are probably right.  IMO, Kopp is what he is. JG has quite a ceiling if he puts in the time. 

19 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I understand not having time. I didn't mean it like I'm a superior fan because I watch these games multiple times. You miss 80% of the game watching it live, and as a coach, I want to be able to see more then just what I can see live. 

I watch each game, counting it being played live, at least 3 times. 

I will say that I listen to the postgame podcasts, the next day recaps, etc., but I don’t watch the games multiple times. Especially ones that we lose. 

If you’ve gone back and analyzed the +/- of the lineups without all 3 of our best players (TJD, Race and XJ) in them, and those lineups were even or better, then I guess I will refer to you. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I will say that I listen to the postgame podcasts, the next day recaps, etc., but I don’t watch the games multiple times. Especially ones that we lose. 

If you’ve gone back and analyzed the +/- of the lineups without all 3 of our best players (TJD, Race and XJ) in them, and those lineups were even or better, then I guess I will refer to you. 

Have not done this. 

I believe there are more factors in play then JUST +/- though. Foul trouble, injuries, etc. There are just some aspects of the rotations and bench in general, that imo, are passed off as fact or something that is agreed on that happens.... that don't actually happen. 

Mass subbing for one, we don't do that. Eventually, there might be a 1.5-2min time frame where all of our subs are on the court, but we don't go 5 for 5. 

imo-- there are other misconceptions, as well. People ridiculously calling for RP to start the 2nd H against Purdue would be another one of those misconceptions. And the idea behind that was "the starters gave up the lead"... when in actuality, they played Purdue within 2 points over the first like 7-7.5 mins of that 2nd half. Which, for our starters, is very solid. 

Idk-- there are more that I have noticed. 

Conspiracy theory with Kopp? What would it possibly be....that we had to start a white guy?? Maybe this was Fife's doing! 😂 

But seriously, Kopp does add some value but he is by no means a starter on a  really good team. If he is starting next year I wouldn't expect us to have a great year. We might have a few more wins if everyone stays but he absolutely does not need to be starting. Hopefully whoever fills the final scholly can be the athletic wing we need who can shoot the 3 well, create his own shot and defend adequately. And if Kopp leaves I will not be sad at all. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Have not done this. 

I believe there are more factors in play then JUST +/- though. Foul trouble, injuries, etc. There are just some aspects of the rotations and bench in general, that imo, are passed off as fact or something that is agreed on that happens.... that don't actually happen. 

Mass subbing for one, we don't do that. Eventually, there might be a 1.5-2min time frame where all of our subs are on the court, but we don't go 5 for 5. 

imo-- there are other misconceptions, as well. People ridiculously calling for RP to start the 2nd H against Purdue would be another one of those misconceptions. And the idea behind that was "the starters gave up the lead"... when in actuality, they played Purdue within 2 points over the first like 7-7.5 mins of that 2nd half. Which, for our starters, is very solid. 

Idk-- there are more that I have noticed. 

But it is about +/-

Let’s forget about the term ‘mass substitution’ for a second. A ‘bad’ line up to me is one without one of TJD, Race and XJ on the floor. And whether this lineup came to fruition with one substitution or a few substitution (in the matter of a few minutes), we had a line up without 1 of our 3 best players on the floor. And this consistently happened 10 minutes into the first half. Did it not, or am I imagining that? 

Now IF, this ‘bad’ line up was consistently on the wrong side of a +/-, wouldn’t you want to find a way to avoid putting it on the floor? There are other ways to get these 3 guys rest. They don’t all have to get rest at the same time. 

Not sure why so many don’t like Kopp. I know we all expected better 3pt percentage. But his presence on the floor stretched the defense. He handled the ball and passed pretty well. Not great off the bounce. It was ok. Defensively he is better than some make him out to be. He hustled and moved his feet well. 

I agree we will be a better team if he is coming off the bench.  But we didn’t have a better option than him. Galloway was injured too much and while better defensively Kopp was better shooter which helped space the floor. Truth is Kopp and Galloway splitting time was about right. Which one was playing better gets more time. When Healy Galloway closed out games for defensive reasons. This coming year is probably about the same. Geronimo is never playing heavy minutes as 3 in the college game. I agree with the a rotation Geronimo Thompson and Davis play most of the minutes

• Like 4

"pretty bad" 

Kopp is literally fine at 18mpg lol He isn't going to hurt, and gives you the ability to stretch the floor. He had a positive A/TO ratio, plays solid D, and holds his own on the glass. 

Very Hartman ish. We can all see he needs to shoot 1.5-2% better from 3 next year. He is quite a bit better of basketball player then Parker Stewart. 

Hartman is a great comparison for Kopp. They're both solid guys that don't make mistakes and can shoot a little bit. 

• Like 2