Offseason 2022

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well got bored tonight so watching the 1987 elite game against LSU. The motion offense was running like a fine tune engine. First half IU leads 47-46 and IU shot 65 percent.  Also no subs until under 3 minutes left in the half

Shoot 65% and only up 1? Horrible defense. Need some in state kids....not the kids from Louisiana or Ohio or California or Illinois. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

We were only 2/6 from 3 in that game though..

So, still scored 77 points and went on to a championship.  Besides running a better offense then and guys actually taking good shots another difference is how the refs called the game.  The game was more fluid on offense and players were actually allowed free movement.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

So, still scored 77 points and went on to a championship.  Besides running a better offense then and guys actually taking good shots another difference is how the refs called the game.  The game was more fluid on offense and players were actually allowed free movement.

I know. I changed my statement. 

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Shoot 65% and only up 1? Horrible defense. Need some in state kids....not the kids from Louisiana or Ohio or California or Illinois. 

Or just great offense by two really good teams. Guys who can actually hit open shots and a offense that gets open shots. Just more free flowing offense because defenses weren't allowed to mug an offensive player all over the court.  By the way Alford an Indiana kid had 18 at the half.  All RMK teams had players from Illinois and Ohio

Edited by IU Scott

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The game was more fluid on offense and players were actually allowed free movement.

This statement I completely agree with.  Teams like Wisconsin have ruined the offensive beauty that used to be in college ball and referees who swallowed their whistle are their accomplices.

• Like 3

Just now, FKIM01 said:

This statement I completely agree with.  Teams like Wisconsin have ruined the offensive beauty that used to be in college ball and referees who swallowed their whistle are their accomplices.

It is just night and day in how the game is played today compared to back then.  Also teams used all 3 levels on the offensive end which makes it harder to defend. Teams shot the 3 but used the mid range game and if you have good players you should hit those shots at a good percentage. Also a lot less dribbling and really no on ball screens. Guys us d shot games a lot more to get the defender out of position.  Instead if taking the ball all the way to the basket guys took a couple of dribbles and shot a easy 12-15 foot jumper.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Only scored 30 in the second half. What horrible offense. Would never hold up in today’s game 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

It’s so frustrating watching the refs allow the self-fulfilling prophecy to happen with Wisconsin and their lack of fouls. Refs let that reputation get into their heads.

In the Pac12 you’ll often see the refs arm go up to call the foul before the player even makes contact esp with UCLA at home it’s very annoying when the Bruins get into the double bonus with 10 mins to go in the ballgame…

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

You don't understand, those guys in the 80s were just built different. They could optimize their output with no rest.... 

It's amazing that this is ever argued as a good thing for a basketball team. It borderline astonishes me. More good players is always a good thing. 

• Like 1