Offseason 2022

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

So what is different in the game today compared to the past.  The game is still 40 minutes long and you still have 5 TV timeouts a half.  The court is still 94 feet long and the same width.  The game today is played at a slower pace and less player movement so today with how athletic they are they should he more equiped to play more minutes.

Scott, at this point, I can't help you. You have found this niche of not understanding the modern game plus not being willing to learn anything. That's on you. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

The averages for minutes that season where pretty in line with what we're saying, and the game that they had obvious fatigue that you're talking about is an outlier. 

If you look at close games that year the minutes by the starters was in line with that game. When you look at the averaged for the year you have some blowouts that year where the bench sued more.

Just now, 5fouls said:

Scott's been talking about the '87 Championship team, so there is a relevant comparison.

And I posted the 2016 NC games box score. So.... why is one the gospel and one isn't? That is the issue. I understand SOMETIMES dudes are going to play those types of mins, especially in the NCAAT. 

But to think that is just the golden rule and any other way is borderline stupid or some awful decision by that teams coach.... it's nauseating to read. It's archaic and not how basketball operates in 2022. 

I could run around for 40 mins as well in the 80s if I didn't have to worry about getting body blocked 40 times a possession, like is allowed now. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Scott, at this point, I can't help you. You have found this niche of not understanding the modern game plus not being willing to learn anything. That's on you. 

Basketball is basketball and I know plenty about today's game I probably watched more game this year than you did. I understand it but doesn't mean I have to agree with some of the things in this do called modern basketball.  Tell me what is it about players today that playing 35 will kill them.

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

And I posted the 2016 NC games box score. So.... why is one the gospel and one isn't? That is the issue. I understand SOMETIMES dudes are going to play those types of mins, especially in the NCAAT. 

But to think that is just the golden rule and any other way is borderline stupid or some awful decision by that teams coach.... it's nauseating to read. It's archaic and not how basketball operates in 2022. 

I could run around for 40 mins as well in the 80s if I didn't have to worry about getting body blocked 40 times a possession, like is allowed now. 

Asked the guys chasing Alford off of screens for 40 minutes and being bumped on every screen.

Just now, IU Scott said:

Basketball is basketball and I know plenty about today's game I probably watched more game this year than you did. I understand it but doesn't mean I have to agree with some of the things in this do called modern basketball.  Tell me what is it about players today that playing 35 will kill them.

Agree.. you watch the game as a fan, and you only see black and white. 

Tell me why we would want them to play 35mpg? I didn't want Parker Stewart to have to play 10mpg. 

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Not saying either is gospel.  Scott's entrenched with one opinion.  You and KoB are entrenched on the other side.  Both can be argued for and both can be argued against.

Just trying to point out to both sides there is a position in the middle.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Agree.. you watch the game as a fan, and you only see black and white. 

Tell me why we would want them to play 35mpg? I didn't want Parker Stewart to have to play 10mpg. 

With this year's team it isn't about if they should say 35 minutes a game.  It was playing 10 guys and having all the starters out of the game for 3-4 minutes.  To me play no more than 8 and you should have at least 2 starters in at a time.  To me this year one of Race or Trayce had to be on the court at all times.

Just now, 5fouls said:

Not saying either is gospel.  Scott's entrenched with one opinion.  You and KoB are entrenched on the other side.  Both can be argued for and both can be argued against.

Just trying to point out to both sides there is a position in the middle.

Certainly he is saying it's the gospel. That is exactly what he does. 

There is no argument to be made that playing basketball players 35mins per night is a good thing long term, for anyone associated with that program. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

With this year's team it isn't about if they should say 35 minutes a game.  It was playing 10 guys and having all the starters out of the game for 3-4 minutes.  To me play no more than 8 and you should have at least 2 starters in at a time.  To me this year one of Race or Trayce had to be on the court at all times.

we didn't play 10 guys. Durr played 5 mins in the games that mattered, literally just to give TJD a break. At one time, late in the year, did we have all the starters out for 3-4 mins at a time. 

The rest is just ridiculous guidelines to ever set for a rotation and not something that coaches ever do. 

The reality is.... Race is good for 28mpg and TJD gets in foul trouble at the beginning of games and that was basically the only time they were both on the bench at the same time. 

Edited by btownqb

Just now, btownqb said:

Certainly he is saying it's the gospel. That is exactly what he does. 

There is no argument to be made that playing basketball players 35mins per night is a good thing long term, for anyone associated with that program. 

Some teams can do it and be successful.  IU in 21-22 was not one of them.  I need to look it up, but pretty sure 'Nova had a very tight rotation, even before the Elite 8 injury, and made the Final Four.

• Thanks 1

Chiming in from work here.. I usually haven’t worried too much about the rotation and such, and usually leave it to the coaches.

I just don’t want the bizarre changes that FCTC made, that seemed to kill momentum,  as well as FCAM seemed to have some strange habits as well.

This past season, we all noticed how CMW made some wholesale substitutions during the first half, as well as kept the starting 5 in at the beginning of the second, when during some games, they were ineffective. With as many close games as we lost, one could argue that some of those miscalculations cost us a game or two. So now, it is something I pay more attention to. 

back to Microsoft Teams meetings!!!!

• Like 1

Just now, 5fouls said:

Some teams can do it and be successful.  IU in 21-22 was not one of them.  I need to look it up, but pretty sure 'Nova had a very tight rotation, even before the Elite 8 injury, and made the Final Four.

35, 34, 30, 30, 28, 25, 10, 9, 9. 

vs. IU

32, 29, 28, 25, 24, 20, 18, 15, 13. 

The rotation isn't the problem. The talent is.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore/_/gameId/400873651

@KoB2011

This is what I consider a perfect rotation. Scott, these two teams shot 19-31 from 3. 

Love the rotation/minutes allocation there. 

On another note, 17 guys played in that game and I'm pretty sure at least 11 had at least an NBA appearance. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Rev_AK said:

Chiming in from work here.. I usually haven’t worried too much about the rotation and such, and usually leave it to the coaches.

I just don’t want the bizarre changes that FCTC made, that seemed to kill momentum,  as well as FCAM seemed to have some strange habits as well.

This past season, we all noticed how CMW made some wholesale substitutions during the first half, as well as kept the starting 5 in at the beginning of the second, when during some games, they were ineffective. With as many close games as we lost, one could argue that some of those miscalculations cost us a game or two. So now, it is something I pay more attention to. 

back to Microsoft Teams meetings!!!!

But see, that actually isn't true. We never made wholesale changes. 

And of course he kept the starting 5 in to start the 2nd half. Everyone in the country does that, basically, every single game. 

The last bolded sentence is just something I cannot understand why? 

Have you noticed that you are taking exception to 3 straight HCs subbing patterns... maybe they aren't the ones in the wrong. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

35, 34, 30, 30, 28, 25, 10, 9, 9. 

vs. IU

32, 29, 28, 25, 24, 20, 18, 15, 13. 

The rotation isn't the problem. The talent is.  

19 extra minutes per game for 'Nova's top 5 players compared to IU.  That's not insignificant.

And, yes, talent matters.  On the flip side, better talent is usually kept on the court for longer stretches.

• Like 1

Just now, 5fouls said:

19 extra minutes per game for 'Nova's top 5 players compared to IU.  That's not insignificant.

And, yes, talent matters.  On the flip side, better talent is usually kept on the court for longer stretches.

I don't view it as significant, at all. They had more top talent/theirs were guards/our guards were in foul trouble regularly. 

Again, the problem isn't the rotation... the problem is the talent.