Offseason 2022

I'm just going to add this as well. JG could easily enter into the 3 role....or maybe do the 4. If JG decides to look elsewhere I'll wish him the best but whatever happens is this. Race Thompson is a good basketball player. I like having good basketball players on my team.

It's up to Coach to figure out how to use him JG, Bates,etc...and if TJD does stay in the draft I could see Race at 5, JG at basically what Race did for us last year and Bates at 3 competing for minutes with others.

• Like 1

Just my 2 cents, but now that Race is back I’d prefer to see something along the lines of:

C:TJD, Race, Duncomb 

PF: Geronimo, Banks

SF: Galloway, Kopp

SG: Bates, Leal, Gunn

PG: X, JHS

Love me some Race but I can’t see us doing much better having him and TJD play together for 30+ minutes. 

Edited by Hoosierdave
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

Just my 2 cents, but now that Race is back I’d prefer to see something along the lines of:

C:TJD, Race, Duncomb 

PF: Geronimo, Banks

SF: Galloway, Kopp

SG: Bates, Leal, Gunn

PG: X, JHS

Love me some Race but I can’t see us doing much better having him and TJD play together for 30+ minutes. 

Don't see that happening, Race not coming back to come off the bench

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Don't see that happening, Race not coming back to come off the bench

Well then I’d say I’m very concerned about the future of this program if less than a month into the off season Woodson’s already finalized his starting lineup. Any good coach would tell his players time is earned, not given. 

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

Well then I’d say I’m very concerned about the future of this program if less than a month into the off season Woodson’s already finalized his starting lineup. Any good coach would tell his players time is earned, not given. 

Agreed!  Starting spots should be earned and that’s not to say Race couldn’t or won’t earn a spot but if someone jumps him they should play more.

Great things about message boards is nobody is absolutely wrong or right. What I'm excited about is Coach Woodson getting his first true off season to work with the guys. Last year was a whirlwind. This year he's got his feet grounded and can just develop.

Race, TG, TB, JG....time to go earn those minutes. Can't wait to see who out of these 4 develops their shot and earns court time. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

I would say Race has earned the starting role over JG and haven't seen anything from JG to say he should start on front of Race.  You don't think RMK knew pretty much on the off season who would be starting, especially with his better teams.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Great things about message boards is nobody is absolutely wrong or right. What I'm excited about is Coach Woodson getting his first true off season to work with the guys. Last year was a whirlwind. This year he's got his feet grounded and can just develop.

Race, TG, TB, JG....time to go earn those minutes. Can't wait to see who out of these 4 develops their shot and earns court time. 

You haven’t paid attention to the last few days, have you? In re, absolutes 😁😁😁😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm just going to add this as well. JG could easily enter into the 3 role....or maybe do the 4. If JG decides to look elsewhere I'll wish him the best but whatever happens is this. Race Thompson is a good basketball player. I like having good basketball players on my team.

It's up to Coach to figure out how to use him JG, Bates,etc...and if TJD does stay in the draft I could see Race at 5, JG at basically what Race did for us last year and Bates at 3 competing for minutes with others.

I would love to see the completely different offense with Race at the 5. We could have 5 players with the ability to bring the ball up the court. Not sure but I feel like we might be entering a more free flowing offense with the potential to score in the 80s each game? 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I would say Race has earned the starting role over JG and haven't seen anything from JG to say he should start on front of Race.  You don't think RMK knew pretty much on the off season who would be starting, especially with his better teams.

It's a looooooong time to November.  I'd guarantee Woodson is not promising minutes to anyone seven months out.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Right but you’re missing a key point in my comment- Race earned it this year, NOT next year. next years time is not this years team and it should be treated as such. The only thing these kids should be promised is an opportunity. 

I would understand and respect if kids transferred in droves from this program if they knew the coaching staff wasn’t even giving them the them a fair shot during the off-season. Not to mention, not gonna land the KJ Evans’ of the world by giving them the impression that no player can come in and make an immediate impact. 

6 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

Right but you’re missing a key point in my comment- Race earned it this year, NOT next year. next years time is not this years team and it should be treated as such. The only thing these kids should be promised is an opportunity. 

I would understand and respect if kids transferred in droves from this program if they knew the coaching staff wasn’t even giving them the them a fair shot during the off-season. Not to mention, not gonna land the KJ Evans’ of the world by giving them the impression that no player can come in and make an immediate impact. 

It doesnt matter who starts, it matters who gives the most in their mins.