Offseason 2022

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm just going to add this as well. JG could easily enter into the 3 role....or maybe do the 4. If JG decides to look elsewhere I'll wish him the best but whatever happens is this. Race Thompson is a good basketball player. I like having good basketball players on my team.

It's up to Coach to figure out how to use him JG, Bates,etc...and if TJD does stay in the draft I could see Race at 5, JG at basically what Race did for us last year and Bates at 3 competing for minutes with others.

Good basketball player and good representative of the candy stripes.  Gives 100% on the court and won't screw up off it.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IUwins0708 said:

Agreed!  Starting spots should be earned and that’s not to say Race couldn’t or won’t earn a spot but if someone jumps him they should play more.

I think this is true, but Race is also going to be a sixth year senior, was honorable mention all conference, and has gotten steadily better almost every year. Hard to imagine a scenario where someone passes him. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Hopefully Race will live in the gym shooting jumpers.  Doesn't have to be just 3's but the 15 footer from the wing or baseline.

He needs to work on finishing around the basket and powering through contact. He missed way too many layups and close put backs. He certainly wasn’t alone, though . 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Hopefully Race will live in the gym shooting jumpers.  Doesn't have to be just 3's but the 15 footer from the wing or baseline.

Derozan from the Bulls has opened the eyes of many GM's and players...if you can hit the 15 footer you can get a contract in the league.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

So… Race>=Davidson or >= Bohannon?

Apologize in advance for whoever is going to post the “I thought there wasn’t going to be any math” meme. 😛😛😛

Race is only going to be 23 in June. The other two were still on Mom and Dad's car insurance by the time they stopped playing. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Great news about Race. As someone noted, if he can develop a reliable 15 - 16 foot jumper it goes a long way toward making his life easier and the team better. He struggles scoring over size with his back to the basket and that's not likely to change. 

Huge news for IU though. Now instead of needing to add multiple bigs they can likely get away with adding just one more and being somewhat competitive even if TJD goes pro.

TJD 6'9, Duncmb 6'9, Race 6'8 and Banks 6'8. Would like to add one more 6'9 or better who can really battle inside but I believe they can compete with this group for the most part. If they lose TJD and fail to add a legit player to at least defend and rebound it's gong to be a lot tougher sledding.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i will be pretty excited if we roll into the season with a lineup of XJ, JHS, Bates, Thompson, TJD.  

I just hope our movement on offense is better from the wings, as in getting open shots, making cuts, and opening the floor better. Not just watching the big guys work down low or just XJ / TJD pick and roll. Not saying there isn’t a place for those things, but it shouldn’t be something we see every single trip down the floor. Would still really like us to find a wing that can score on his own and shoot. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I just hope our movement on offense is better from the wings, as in getting open shots, making cuts, and opening the floor better. Not just watching the big guys work down low or just XJ / TJD pick and roll. Not saying there isn’t a place for those things, but it shouldn’t be something we see every single trip down the floor. Would still really like us to find a wing that can score on his own and shoot. 

We are best with XJ and TJD in the pick and roll. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

b bu bu butttt that's the same team we had last year 🙄

TIC

i know TIC, but i'm saying no Stewart or Kopp.  i know. i know. Kopp will likely start, but if Bates and JHS are good enough to start, that's my point.  XJ, JHS, and Bates could provide 3 scorers who have the ability to make plays and also shoot.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Blazin Hazin said:

I think some forget how many close heartbreaking games we lost this year.

Wisconsin twice

Ohio St

Northwestern

Syracuse

Iowa

Rutgers

Penn St

A slight improvement on the floor could mean a huge improvement in wins and losses.

How many of those did TG miss?