Offseason 2022

Anybody else guarded with their excitement right now? We always convince ourselves that we're winning the offseason. And our last two 5 star recruits have not made big impacts in their freshman years. Anyway, I'm trying to convince myself that this offseason is different:

- Players are familiar with the system. Instead of having a whole team running around like headless chickens in a new system, we'll now only have a few new (newcomers) running around like headless chickens (forgive the metaphor)

- These 5 star recruits have college ready bodies and played at the highest levels of high school basketball. They are also paired with two top 150 recruits. 

- For what we lack in shooting we've gained in movement (less stand around guys on offense), which will hopefully effect are overall shooting in a positive way. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Anybody else guarded with their excitement right now? We always convince ourselves that we're winning the offseason. And our last two 5 star recruits have not made big impacts in their freshman years. Anyway, I'm trying to convince myself that this offseason is different:

- Players are familiar with the system. Instead of having a whole team running around like headless chickens in a new system, we'll now only have a few new (newcomers) running around like headless chickens (forgive the metaphor)

- These 5 star recruits have college ready bodies and played at the highest levels of high school basketball. They are also paired with two top 150 recruits. 

- For what we lack in shooting we've gained in movement (less stand around guys on offense), which will hopefully effect are overall shooting in a positive way. 

That’s always the hard part when good news is the trend with recruits, and pair that with how we played better at the end of the season, it’s very easy to get excited. My only concern is the shooting and all-sub lineups for next season. I think we will be deeper if TJD comes back, but I hate the all sub-lineups and hurt us more times than not.

I think Tamar and JG was hurt by playing in the all sub lineups because they had to be guys trying to do too much, instead of flowing within the team. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I think we are also going to be better to quite a bit better on the wing, defensively.... translation-- hopefully we can create more offense from our defense. I'm confident we will create more opportunities for ourselves from simply playing more ball handlers, no doubt about that. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

They might be built with the weight of a college player, but they won't have the strength or durability of a college player.  They will need a couple years of our weight room to really turn a large boys body into a college level mans body.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

They might be built with the weight of a college player, but they won't have the strength or durability of a college player.  They will need a couple years of our weight room to really turn a large boys body into a college level mans body.

FWIW, going strictly on build/size, Malik is listed exactly as Carmelo Anthony was as a freshman at Syracuse.

Additionally, JHS has a very solid build for an incoming freshman. Monteverde's travel schedule and competition has also served both players well; one could argue their season is more robust, and the travel and ancillary elements of playing a "national schedule" have made them much more durable than most HS players that play locally.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, 02Hoosier said:

Wasn’t sure where to post this but looks like the BTT may be in Indy loss often than it already was…

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/33771960/minneapolis-added-host-site-big-ten-basketball-tournaments

I don't have the specifics but Indy didn't prepare a bid for 2023 or 24. I think something to do with either previously scheduled events....or trying to be a good teammate to the Pacers. 

Pacers have always had long stretches on the road in March because of games always being in Indy. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I remember back in the day in 2003 when they made high schoolers like the Lebron James. Sad....

2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

let's not forget that as pointed out earlier, no incoming freshman has come into IU ranked as highly as Reneau or JHS and not started as a freshman.  

The only way I see that changing is if TJD comes back and Reneau doesn't beat out Race. But in that scenario, he's still probably getting 15-20 a game backing up the 4 and 5 spots.