Offseason 2022

38 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

back to Negative Nancy here.  i am very happy JG is returning, but it makes me that much more skeptical that TJD would come back.  really hard to believe that the players and staff think there would be enough minutes to keep JG, TJD, Malik, and Race happy.  maybe JG can prove us wrong and play the 3.  

It could also say that these guys don't need a sh*t ton of minutes to be happy here, that they like playing for each other and this program. 

I doubt anyone knows what TJD is going to decide. He himself might not even know yet. Geronimo will be here after TJD is gone, whenever that happens. People need to quit trying to read into every action/decision these guys make. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

back to Negative Nancy here.  i am very happy JG is returning, but it makes me that much more skeptical that TJD would come back.  really hard to believe that the players and staff think there would be enough minutes to keep JG, TJD, Malik, and Race happy.  maybe JG can prove us wrong and play the 3.  

38 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

CF473658-675B-4753-BF41-770B98071DC8.png

I'm not sure you'd be happy if you didn't have something to worry about. 🤣🤣🤣

I don't think Trayce is the least bit unhappy that Jordan is staying  and he doesn't appear to be worried about his minutes.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

It could also say that these guys don't need a sh*t ton of minutes to be happy here, that they like playing for each other and this program. 

I doubt anyone knows what TJD is going to decide. He himself might not even know yet. Geronimo will be here after TJD is gone, whenever that happens. People need to quit trying to read into every action/decision these guys make. 

Are you kidding?  We live for this kind of stuff!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Maybe he and the others just KNOW  they’ll be able to compete for minutes and are CONFIDENT he /they will get the game minutes. There are no absolutes here. Too much we don’t know about any of this to accurately say.

55 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I'm not sure you'd be happy if you didn't have something to worry about. 🤣🤣🤣

I don't think Trayce is the least bit unhappy that Jordan is staying  and he doesn't appear to be worried about his minutes.

i mean in a way you're right about me.  unfortunately i always worry about something.  BUT... i definitely don't think Trayce would be concerned.  if he comes back he will start every game and play huge minutes.  i'm just saying that i can't imagine Race not starting since he was our 3rd leading scorer and 2nd leading rebounder and he's in his 6th year.  they played 32.2 mpg and 28.6mpg this season.  that leaves our 5 star freshman getting every minute either of them are out which is 19.2mpg.  honestly i don't think that's enough, but it also leaves 0 mpg for JG.  i mean if you divide those 80 minutes evenly between the 4 of them it would be 20mpg.  you'd cut TJD's minutes by 12.2 and Thompson's by 8.6.  clearly that's not gonna happen.  anyway, i would love to have the current roster.  i think we'd be loaded and easily a top 15team.  just hard to believe we'll have the 4 of them.    

I think TJD will be back so I think the roster is set for next year.  Unless someone pays their own way I don think we will add another player.  To me if we bring in another player and not lose anyone would cause more problems than a benefit.  How the roster looks right now probably 10 or 11 players are good enough to earn playing time.  You add one more it could cause some to become unhappy about playing time.  This roster is better suited to play 2 lineups but don't know if Woodson will still try to to do it.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

I'm trying to remember the last highly successful college basketball team that implemented the 2 lineup system?

Kentucky had some success with it but mostly it faltered in the later season.  There just isn't even talent to put a whole second string against another teams mostly first team.  Almost no team can do 10 deep at that talent level.  There is a reason no one does it and it has failed mostly when anyone tries.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Kentucky had some success with it but mostly it faltered in the later season.  There just isn't even talent to put a whole second string against another teams mostly first team.  Almost no team can do 10 deep at that talent level.  There is a reason no one does it and it has failed mostly when anyone tries.

It won't work.  Woody is doing a great job recruiting but unless he moves away from his NBA ways he'll never have the kind of success here that most expect. 

• Confused 2

2 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

It won't work.  Woody is doing a great job recruiting but unless he moves away from his NBA ways he'll never have the kind of success here that most expect. 

How do you define work? 

Let's say TJD comes back.... out of-- TJD, RT, XJ, JG, TG, TB, XJ, JHS, MR, and MK-- we are just leaving one or two of them out of the rotation and for what reason? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

College basketball is known for being more innovative than the NBA :coffee:

Seriously though, NBA coaches have no problem shortening their bench when they need to. Woody showed he'd shorten  the bench, change rotations game to game, etc. already. 

• Like 4

It's a complete myth that IU/Woodson ran a "2 lineup system". It didn't happen. 

We're there times that we had 5 subs on the court together, sure, but Woodson never mass-substituted. He phased the bench guys in and then phased them out. 

5 bench guys would be in together for a few minutes at most and it was almost exclusively in the 1st half. 

Michael Durr didn't play in 5 games and numerous times didn't play in the 2nd half. JG had several games where he didn't play in the 2nd half and Bates had some too. Then you add in that Phinisee missed 10 games and Galloway missed 15. 

This two lineups/mass-substitution thing gets way overblown IMO. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Just when you think you can't like the kid anymore then you already do..... He drops a ranch on pizza bomb. Love it. 

I can accept that.  Just so long as it's not putting ranch on wings.  That is the sole domain of bleu cheese, and I'll start throwing fists if I hear otherwise. :coffee:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

This is an absolutely indisputable hot take. 

49 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I can accept that.  Just so long as it's not putting ranch on wings.  That is the sole domain of bleu cheese, and I'll start throwing fists if I hear otherwise. :coffee:

shew.. so you guys are the reason I have to answer "do you want ranch or bleu cheese with that?" 

I never met anyone who picked bleu cheese before my wife! 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

shew.. so you guys are the reason I have to answer "do you want ranch or bleu cheese with that?" 

I never met anyone who picked bleu cheese before my wife! 

Well at least she has good taste when it comes to food. Her taste in men is obviously questionable. :coffee: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

It's a complete myth that IU/Woodson ran a "2 lineup system". It didn't happen. 

We're there times that we had 5 subs on the court together, sure, but Woodson never mass-substituted. He phased the bench guys in and then phased them out. 

5 bench guys would be in together for a few minutes at most and it was almost exclusively in the 1st half. 

Michael Durr didn't play in 5 games and numerous times didn't play in the 2nd half. JG had several games where he didn't play in the 2nd half and Bates had some too. Then you add in that Phinisee missed 10 games and Galloway missed 15. 

This two lineups/mass-substitution thing gets way overblown IMO. 

I was curious so I looked up how many minutes we had without one of XJ, TJD, or Race on the floor. It was 127 minutes. That's 3.6 minutes per game, and is almost certainly inflated by blowouts. With all 5 starters out, it was only 80 minutes where none were on the floor (2.3 mins per game). The mass substitutions is way overblown, and in reality just didn't happen to the degree many think it did.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4