Offseason 2022

2 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Maybe Leal magically gets an NIL just large enough to cover his room, board, and tuition and he walks on 🤷‍♂️

I wouldn’t be a suprised at all and it would be legal.   Wouldn't be something most kids would go for.  A guy like Leal who grew up dreaming of playing for IU though... 

Go Hoosiers!!!  

5 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

I wouldn’t be a suprised at all and it would be legal.   Wouldn't be something most kids would go for.  A guy like Leal who grew up dreaming of playing for IU though... 

Go Hoosiers!!!  

From a perception standpoint, it also fits.  Leal is by all accounts a great student and he's local.  And having paid two years worth of the latter, in-state tuition is a lot easier to stomach than out-of-state. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

From a perception standpoint, it also fits.  Leal is by all accounts a great student and he's local.  And having paid two years worth of the latter, in-state tuition is a lot easier to stomach than out-of-state. 

Question.  If IU would pull his scholarship and move him to a walk on.  He is still on the team, wouldn't IU then continue to pay for his education.  Isn't that something they implemented a few years ago.  Where they would honor the scholarship regardless if you left or went to the NBA etc?  Would a NIL really be needed other than a sorry we took your scholarship, here is some free money?

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

In state with a parent (or both?) that works at the university. So his tuition would be even less. 1/2 of in state tuition, I think.

That said, I don't see it happening and I don't think it should.

44 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Question.  If IU would pull his scholarship and move him to a walk on.  He is still on the team, wouldn't IU then continue to pay for his education.  Isn't that something they implemented a few years ago.  Where they would honor the scholarship regardless if you left or went to the NBA etc?  Would a NIL really be needed other than a sorry we took your scholarship, here is some free money?

School could pay but he wouldn't be allowed to play ball as the NCAA wouldnt allow.  Can't go from athletic scholarship to academic.   So NIL money would be the only way to make that work.

Go Hoosiers!!!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Anybody seriously thinking that pulling Leal's scholarship is a good idea needs to be checked for psychosis.

No, just no no no no 

Not sure anyone thinks it's a good idea but it's an option now more than ever with NIL.

Would rather see that than see him cut.  Just don't see another option if Dennis is added and TJD comes back.  Although maybe it's TJD's scholly that's pulled.  😮😮😮

Go Hoosiers!!!

3 hours ago, Indy1987 said:

Not sure anyone thinks it's a good idea but it's an option now more than ever with NIL.

Would rather see that than see him cut.  Just don't see another option if Dennis is added and TJD comes back.  Although maybe it's TJD's scholly that's pulled.  😮😮😮

Go Hoosiers!!!

If Trayce got a $500,000 NIL deal, I doubt if he'd care much if his scholarship was pulled.  Everyone thinks pulling a scholarship is a bad idea, but I guarantee it will happen eventually with an NIL replacement for the affected player.  If we've thought of it here, I guarantee most programs have as well and someone has it as a contingency plan right now.  COVID eligibility makes it that much more likely.

I don't think you'll see it often, but right now when scholarship crunches are common, it's absolutely on the table.

Edited by FKIM01
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I highly doubt that is legal given the whole scholarship limit thing.   That workaround would make the limit non-existent.

Trust me, if that was possible, then OSU would have 200 players on their football team by now.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

I highly doubt that is legal given the whole scholarship limit thing.   That workaround would make the limit non-existent.

Trust me, if that was possible, then OSU would have 200 players on their football team by now.

Tell me how you think the NCAA polices this and/or what makes it illegal, beyond your general sense of fairness?

OSU doesn't have 200 players because they simply don't need 200 players.

NIL allows players to be paid.

Walk-ons are allowed.

Tell me what NCAA rule prohibits any of this.  The answer is simple.  there's nothing that prohibits it.  If the NCAA tries to write a rule, enforcement will be a living nightmare.  I don't see it being a common or frequent issue simply because many of the best basketball programs don't even use all their scholarships.  Once we get past all this extra COVID eligibility, I think it will be exceedingly rare to have a bunch of walk-ons getting NIL money.

...but it's not impossible and the NCAA has nothing to prevent it.

19 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

9 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Tell me how you think the NCAA polices this and/or what makes it illegal, beyond your general sense of fairness?

Walk-ons are allowed.

Tell me what NCAA rule prohibits any of this.  The answer is simple.  there's nothing that prohibits it.  If the NCAA tries to write a rule, enforcement will be a living nightmare.  I don't see it being a common or frequent issue simply because many of the best basketball programs don't even use all their scholarships.  Once we get past all this extra COVID eligibility, I think it will be exceedingly rare to have a bunch of walk-ons getting NIL money.

The only way to limit it would be to cap the total roster numbers, including walk-ons. I don't know if there is already a limit on the number of walk-ons allowed or not. 

After a point, adding more players to a team doesn't really help. There is a limited amount of PT. Also, players who are typically willing to walk-on aren't that good. Sure, there are exceptions but in general they're not so that would hurt their ability to have people/companies pony up the money to pay them NIL dollars.

14 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

The only way to limit it would be to cap the total roster numbers, including walk-ons. I don't know if there is already a limit on the number of walk-ons allowed or not. 

After a point, adding more players to a team doesn't really help. There is a limited amount of PT. Also, players who are typically willing to walk-on aren't that good. Sure, there are exceptions but in general they're not so that would hurt their ability to have people/companies pony up the money to pay them NIL dollars.

Right.  I don't think this will be much of an issue because in general, basketball coaches don't want to try to keep 15 scholarship-level players happy.  It's only in play now because of all of the COVID eligibility.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

Walk-ons are allowed.

I’m pretty sure he was talking about the IU Student Athlete Bill of Rights, which guarantees an academic scholarship to a player who no longer received an athletic one.

That said, the NCAA prohibits this in the case of pulling an athletic scholarship and replacing it with an academic scholarship.

NIL money doesn’t come from a school, so that’s of course a potential work around but I am of the mind that it’s a bit far fetched that someone in Leal’s position would ever be a candidate for this. It’s an unfair ask from an end of the bench guy IMO. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Walk-ons are allowed.

At $400k/yr for a Nijel Pack, you will probably have trouble getting money for guys past 13 scholarship players.  The money is more than I was expecting for a player of his caliber.

27 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I'm with you on this, but think it's inevitable. NIL has opened a door that can't be closed and the result is going to be a very different landscape.