Offseason 2022

9 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I'm glad Coach Woodson threw the strike even if it was a low sinker.  No need to throw low punches at Coach Matta(not that you were but it's so low hanging fruit). I wish him very well and good health.  

Hey…the man is in his 60s with bad knees, and he still was able to get it from the mound over the plate without a bounce. That ain’t half bad.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If it happens I bet the interest in it will go down, which would lead to smaller TV contracts.

I don't think you're right about that. There's a ton of talented kids out there that the non-P6 schools will always have access to...

Now if the P6 pulls out of the NCAA, it might be a different story...

But I don't see why people are so spooked by the NIL stuff. Kids in smaller schools, female athletes with large social media followings, kids going to HBCUs, are all cashing in on it...Read here..  

It's not the end of college sports. We'll probably see tweaks to the rules, but things will settle down. At this time, colleges are simply complying with rules states have passed on this. And I would imagine it won't be too long before we see national legislation as governance...

And it's only right. People say it's the name on the front of the jersey that matters most, and that's true to a point, but when a kid wants an IU jersey, he doesn't want some random number...he wants the number of his favorite player...hell, I bought a specific IU hat because I saw Quinn Buckner wearing one...we never forget our heroes...

And I'm quite sure that if the company you work for was making money, even peripherally, off your name, image, or likeness, you'd want a cut...

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I don't think you're right about that. There's a ton of talented kids out there that the non-P6 schools will always have access to...

But I don't see why people are so spooked by the NIL stuff. Kids in smaller schools, female athletes with large social media followings, kids going to HBCUs, are all cashing in on it...Read here..  

It's not the end of college sports. We'll probably see tweaks to the rules, but things will settle down. At this time, colleges are simply complying with rules states have passed on this. And I would imagine it won't be too long before we see national legislation as governance...

And it's only right. People say it's the name on the front of the jersey that matters most, and that's true to a point, but when a kid wants an IU jersey, he doesn't want some random number...he wants the number of his favorite player...hell, I bought a specific IU hat because I saw Quinn Buckner wearing one...we never forget our heroes...

And I'm quite sure that if the company you work for was making money, even peripherally, off your name, image, or likeness, you'd want a cut...

I think they were talking about the Power 5's breaking from the NCAA  and doing their own thing.  Something that we could be headed to in the next 10 years or so.   The NCAA better figure out something soon or this will happen.  Like what's the benefit to a P5 school?  Is it worth having to share all the money you're bringing in with small schools that make nothing?  

Go Hoosiers!!!

28 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

I think they were talking about the Power 5's breaking from the NCAA  and doing their own thing.  Something that we could be headed to in the next 10 years or so.   The NCAA better figure out something soon or this will happen.  Like what's the benefit to a P5 school?  Is it worth having to share all the money you're bringing in with small schools that make nothing?  

Go Hoosiers!!!

But it's not about revenue sharing between schools. The P6 teams still have to comply the laws in whatever state they reside in. I think it was something like 14 states that had passed laws concerning athletes and fair compensation. I said I would imagine that federal law will eventually be enacted to level the field.

Good players aren't going to ride the pine as 12th or 13th man even if the compensation is good. It's already been proven you don't have to be a star male athlete to make money here. Women in sports that normally receive less attention than college football or basketball are doing fine with NIL 

I do think post pandemic the transfer rules might need to be looked at, but I'm glad innovative kids are finding a myriad of ways to make this work for them. And I'm glad the universities (except the unco guid to the north 😁) are buying in and helping as well.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mike said:

NIL will ruin college sports.Football will be hit worse.Too many football coaches saying it will hurt the college game.

Disruption in any industry is met with this type of reaction. Some will find out how to work it to their advantage, some won't. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Just commenting on the article stating that they think the power 5 conferences will break away. If there is only a tournament with just the power conferences, then I would bet the popularity of the tournament would decrease.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Tell me how you think the NCAA polices this and/or what makes it illegal, beyond your general sense of fairness?

OSU doesn't have 200 players because they simply don't need 200 players.

NIL allows players to be paid.

Walk-ons are allowed.

Tell me what NCAA rule prohibits any of this.  The answer is simple.  there's nothing that prohibits it.  If the NCAA tries to write a rule, enforcement will be a living nightmare.  I don't see it being a common or frequent issue simply because many of the best basketball programs don't even use all their scholarships.  Once we get past all this extra COVID eligibility, I think it will be exceedingly rare to have a bunch of walk-ons getting NIL money.

...but it's not impossible and the NCAA has nothing to prevent it.

I wasn't talking about NIL.  But i know it has been said that a school can't give someone an academic scholarship in place of an athletic scholarship.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just commenting on the article stating that they think the power 5 conferences will break away. If there is only a tournament with just the power conferences, then I would bet the popularity of the tournament would decrease.

While I would agree the the "Cinderella Factor" could cut down viewership, I don't think it'll be all that much...

Most P6 schools, particularly the top tier, have sizeable fan bases.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

While I would agree the the "Cinderella Factor" could cut down viewership, I don't think it'll be all that much...

Most P6 schools, particularly the top tier, have sizeable fan bases.

I doubt I would take off work to watch a 1st round game between Northwestern and Washington St.  If they only have power 6 teams in the tournament then most teams would make the tournament.  Yes those team fans would be interested but the casual fans won't be as interested.

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

The money doesn’t come from NCAA pile!  
All publicity is good?

Dumping non football schools like KU & Duke…..not sure IU & Purdue qualify?

Football & NCAA tournament are all that matter 

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

There will come a day when I quit watching college sports.  That train is headed down the tracks.  The only question is when will it get to the station.

i'm afraid i could be with you.  that would leave only the Cubs for me.  i pretty much only watch ND football, IU bball, and Cubs game these days.  

• Like 2

Where is this talk of the power conferences breaking from the NCAA coming from? My understanding of the issue was that there was talk of this a few years ago because they wanted to be able to pay players and be free from the murky area created by NCAA rules and lack of enforcement that made it very hard not to cheat. Now that is less of a concern, so seems the the impetus to break away is gone. Why is this coming up now?

17 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

Where is this talk of the power conferences breaking from the NCAA coming from? My understanding of the issue was that there was talk of this a few years ago because they wanted to be able to pay players and be free from the murky area created by NCAA rules and lack of enforcement that made it very hard not to cheat. Now that is less of a concern, so seems the the impetus to break away is gone. Why is this coming up now?

This talk has always came from the football side of things with no consideration for any other sport. Paul Finebaum pushes that every chance he gets being the mouth of the south and constantly hyping the $EC. 

18 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

They don't want to share the money with the smaller conferences

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

There will come a day when I quit watching college sports.  That train is headed down the tracks.  The only question is when will it get to the station.

I'd sure save a lot of money if I could ever get to that point but in 50 years I just can't shake it. It's all just too engraved in my DNA. Thought the Archie years would finally do the trick, especially when coupled with IU football performance last year, but then along comes Woody and I'm pulled in again. Season tickets for both sports will be renewed - AGAIN. I'm an IU sports junkie.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, eddy4iu said:

I'd sure save a lot of money if I could ever get to that point but in 50 years I just can't shake it. It's all just too engraved in my DNA. Thought the Archie years would finally do the trick, especially when coupled with IU football performance last year, but then along comes Woody and I'm pulled in again. Season tickets for both sports will be renewed - AGAIN. I'm an IU sports junkie.

Same. I'm more excited for IU Hoops specifically than I've been since 12-13 seasons. We finally get to catch up again with a powerful and hungry fanbase. Kudos to Dolson.....Coach Woodson has this thing full of juice again. 

• Like 1

If it weren't for the smaller schools, there would be no Larry Bird and Indiana State playing Magic and changing the course of basketball history.  Still the highest rated college game which is very impressive.  It shows how those guys captured the nation's imagination in an unprecedented way.  Gonzaga may never have erupted like Mount St Helens.

That's probably where it's headed.  It may be reminiscent of class basketball.  P5, mid-majors, small majors, DII, DIII. Money talks.

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

If it weren't for the smaller schools, there would be no Larry Bird and Indiana State playing Magic and changing the course of basketball history.  Still the highest rated college game which is very impressive.  It shows how those guys captured the nation's imagination in an unprecedented way.  Gonzaga may never have erupted like Mount St Helens.

That's probably where it's headed.  It may be reminiscent of class basketball.  P5, mid-majors, small majors, DII, DIII. Money talks.

Right, we're probably headed to a time with less parity which is the way it used to be when there was the 15 scholarship limit which allowed P5 schools to stockpile talent.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HoosierDom said:

I guess I don't know how it works now. How much money are they sharing with them?

I think each conference gets so much money for making the tournament.  I think for every win that conference gets more money and take St. Peters this year their conference made a lot of money.