Offseason 2022

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

It’s gotta take a lot more than a video to convince me, but IF that’s how TJD can shoot next year then he’s All-American first team and a first rounder. 

He’s so quick and bouncy - if he gets his defenders to bite on his jumpers then SEE-YA. Big Ten bigs won’t have the footwork to stay in front of him. 

Big IF though. 

• Like 8

Trayce is probably my favorite player in ten years and I will obviously wish him well no  matter what. But those videos were not against big ten level game action let alone NBA.  Note how slow the release is.  I think he has the potential to shoot but his shot is in the infancy stage IMO.  Take that touch and get guarded tighter and get it up faster.  But the touch is there.  

13 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Trayce is probably my favorite player in ten years and I will obviously wish him well no  matter what. But those videos were not against big ten level game action let alone NBA.  Note how slow the release is.  I think he has the potential to shoot but his shot is in the infancy stage IMO.  Take that touch and get guarded tighter and get it up faster.  But the touch is there.  

I thought his release looked better in those videos than I did before.  It was way more fluid instead of a little hitch and taking the ball over his head.

All this time I thought he would be back but for some reason I think he won't be back.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I thought his release looked better in those videos than I did before.  It was way more fluid instead of a little hitch and taking the ball over his head.

All this time I thought he would be back but for some reason I think he won't be back.

Yeah, things seem to be falling into place for him right now where leaving looks more likely.  I think with him that this team has the potential on paper to be at least an outside threat in the NCAA tournament.  Without him, unless the incoming freshmen really show out, Sweet 16 is probably the realistic ceiling.

That would still constitute a big step forward, but going into the season with TJD would be about as good as I would have felt about a team since Zeller's Sophomore year heading into a season.  (I think that Zeller team was clearly better going into the year, but this would be the best since).  Without TJD, we are looking at Crean's last tournament team as a comparison IMO.

Coach Woodson thinks it's a confidence thing and I'd agree with that.

"I think moving forward, and if he decides to come back, the next step is beginning to shoot out on the floor and feel comfortable," Woodson said. "I mean, he took a few shots this year, he made a couple of them, but he's just so unsure of himself and that's something that I just got to get out of him because I'm telling him it's okay to shoot. If coach tells you to even shoot the ball, it's okay, shoot it. I'll tell you when you can't shoot it anymore, but I want him to shoot because that's really the only missing piece.

The jump shot is something that we just got to help him and work with him more on."

• Like 7

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Coach Woodson thinks it's a confidence thing and I'd agree with that.

"I think moving forward, and if he decides to come back, the next step is beginning to shoot out on the floor and feel comfortable," Woodson said. "I mean, he took a few shots this year, he made a couple of them, but he's just so unsure of himself and that's something that I just got to get out of him because I'm telling him it's okay to shoot. If coach tells you to even shoot the ball, it's okay, shoot it. I'll tell you when you can't shoot it anymore, but I want him to shoot because that's really the only missing piece.

The jump shot is something that we just got to help him and work with him more on."

So we can’t boo him when he misses 2 in a row?

56 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Just read that former MSU player Adreian Payne has died.  31 yrs old.  No details.

I saw on Twitter (not saying it’s true) he was shot and killed in Florida. He also had a toddler who had serious health issues and not sure what ever came of that but tough times for his family.

18 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I saw on Twitter (not saying it’s true) he was shot and killed in Florida. He also had a toddler who had serious health issues and not sure what ever came of that but tough times for his family.

Confirmed he was shot and alleged shooter stayed at the scene, cooperated with police, and after questioning, the person was arrested, charged with first degree murder...and jailed.

Edited by jv1972iu

13 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Confirmed he was shot and alleged shooter stayed at the scene, cooperated with police, and after questioning, the person was arrested, charged with first degree murder...and jailed.

Wow I can’t believe the person stayed at the scene. I would be curious what exactly happened if that was the case.

From the Detroit Free Press...

"August 2010: According to records obtained by the Free Press, former Michigan State players Keith Appling and Adreian Payne were accused of sexually assaulting a woman during the fall of their freshman year in 2010. Then-Ingham County Prosecutor Stuart Dunnings III declined to press charges in the matter, saying no crime was committed and citing insufficient evidence" 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Payne was a good guy. If I remember right, he developed a relationship with a young girl who had cancer. It was a heartbreaking story, but at the same time showed what kind of man he was...RIP 

Horrible news. May he Rest In Peace. Payne was an absolute monster in the paint. He put 100% into every dunk he attempted. 

https://youtube.com/watch?v=FRQ2EjFk7xs

Edited by SawatchHoosier