Offseason 2022

Coach Kenya is on Hoosier Hysterics this week.  I was listening driving in on my commute this morning.  I haven’t heard much of it yet but he reiterated that JG is working hard on perimeter skills.  I think I mentioned that Walsh said the same thing.  Kenya mentioned how much upside JG has and that he hasn’t played ball really all that long.  He also alluded to it being a tough process.  

Mentioned how huge it was for Race to come back.

He also touted Coach Ya’s offseason workouts with the players.  They are taking it to the next level and really pushing it.  

My opinion. Coach Ya was a really good get and I’m really glad he didn’t go to Louisville as some speculated.  Hunter’s importance and quality work are self-evident but I think Coach Ya is a key guy in his own right.

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 6

Just now, BobSaccamanno said:

Coach Kenya is on Hoosier Hysterics this week.  I was listening driving in on my commute this morning.  I haven’t heard much of it yet but he reiterated that JG is working hard on perimeter skills.  I think I mentioned that Walsh said the same thing.  Kenya mentioned how much upside JG has and that he hasn’t played ball really all that long.  He also alluded to it being a tough process.  

Mentioned how huge it was for Race to come back.

He also touted Coach Ya’s offseason workouts with the players.  They are taking it to the next level and really pushing it.  

My opinion. Coach Ya was a really good get and I’m really glad he didn’t go to Louisville as some speculated. 

I'm glad they recognize how much JG has to go to contribute on the perimeter. I have seen it said multiple places, and I am in the wait and see. I personally still don't think he will play much at all at the 3, but I do think he could develop into a big time mismatch at the 4. 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I'm glad they recognize how much JG has to go to contribute on the perimeter. I have seen it said multiple places, and I am in the wait and see. I personally still don't think he will play much at all at the 3, but I do think he could develop into a big time mismatch at the 4. 

I haven't listed to the podcast, so maybe Hunter was more specific and I'm wrong here, but I would add that working on perimeter skills doesn't mean JG will be a starting wing or even playing the wing. 

One thing that has plagued IU since probably Troy Williams was here is our 4's lacking perimeter skills. 

How much better is IU if JG can bring his rebounding and shotblocking defensively to the 4 spot, while offensively knocking down open shots and even taking other 4's off the dribble effectively. 

With the way the game is played now, everybody needs to have perimeter skills. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I haven't listed to the podcast, so maybe Hunter was more specific and I'm wrong here, but I would add that working on perimeter skills doesn't mean JG will be a starting wing or even playing the wing. 

One thing that has plagued IU since probably Troy Williams was here is our 4's lacking perimeter skills. 

How much better is IU if JG can bring his rebounding and shotblocking defensively to the 4 spot, while offensively knocking down open shots and even taking other 4's off the dribble effectively. 

I think we are on the same wavelength.  I was driving where my first priority is the road and I wasn’t listening super intently.  But my recollection is the term “perimeter” skills. That’s why I used that term and not wing because I was trying to be precise.  I will hopefully listen to the rest today or tomorrow.   

To be clear, they might have said wing, and I glossed over it.  But I think the point of him working his butt off on perimeter skills is true and something we can look at in the fall.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok, I wanted to go back and listen precisely what he said about Geronimo.

"What Coach talked about with Geronimo after the season was to try to move him towards the perimeter, so he can play the 3 spot.  To do that, it's alot of work.  If that's what your goals are and your aspirations are to reach that, you are going to have to work.  It's a daily progress.  Geronimo had a little injury toward the end of the spring workouts.  The sky's the limit for him already.  If he continues to move in the direction that we feel like he can, that kid can be special. 

You gotta understand, Geronimo still hasn't grasped...he hasn't played basketball for that long.  If you look at his progression, coaching change, one year as a freshman he is with Coach Miller and then, Coach Woodson.  Two different styles.  So now you really try to learn Coach Woodson's style last summer, how we do things.  This is the summer where he can make the biggest jump, I think.  It is the whole summer.  Last year, we were trying to get stuff implemented defensively to get ready for the Bahamas.  This year, it is more of an offensive approach in getting our guys better.   I think, with him, he is going to continue to build that ladder, especially shooting the ball and doing things off the dribble and off the bounce that can continue to elevate his game.

I am excited about Geronimo.  That's the thing about our team.  You move him up the board and you look at our roster.  It's like 'oh shit.'  I just think we were already a good defensive team last year but you put that length and athleticism... you think about Schifino and X and Scoop..you've got length and the ability to switch a lot of different things defensively. 

Our thing is playing at a different pace and shooting the ball.  We've got to shoot the ball and that's what we will spend a lot of time on this summer."

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

It's an interesting listen because he went through all the players.  Couple more tidbits.

He expects a huge jump from Scoop.  He works really hard.

Duncomb just had his tonsils out so he is out a couple of weeks.  Coach talked to him after the season that he really needs to transform his body so he can take the pounding in the paint in the B1G.  He showed a lot of flashes in practice and they like him. 

My opinion: If TJD comes back and everyone is healthy, they need to talk Logan into redshirting.  It's in his own best interest.  Total no-brainer.  He can be a monster his fifth year, senior year.  Don't blow that opportunity.  I can go through a huge list of guys that were huge that fifth year.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Ok, I wanted to go back and listen precisely what he said about Geronimo.

"What Coach talked about with Geronimo after the season was to try to move him towards the perimeter, so he can play the 3 spot.  To do that, it's alot of work.  If that's what your goals are and your aspirations are to reach that, you are going to have to work.  It's a daily progress.  Geronimo had a little injury toward the end of the spring workouts.  The sky's the limit for him already.  If he continues to move in the direction that we feel like he can, that kid can be special. 

You gotta understand, Geronimo still hasn't grasped...he hasn't played basketball for that long.  If you look at his progression, coaching change, one year as a freshman he is with Coach Miller and then, Coach Woodson.  Two different styles.  So now you really try to learn Coach Woodson's style last summer, how we do things.  This is the summer where he can make the biggest jump, I think.  It is the whole summer.  We were trying to get stuff implemented defensively to get ready for the Bahamas.  This year, it is more of an offensive approach in getting our guys better.   I think, with him, he is going to continue to build that ladder, especially shooting the ball and doing things off the dribble and off the bounce that can continue to elevate his game.

I am excited about Geronimo.  That's the thing about our team.  You move him up the board and you look at our roster.  It's like 'oh shit.'  I just think we were already a good defensive team last year but you put that length and athleticism... you think about Schifino and X and Scoop..you've got length and the ability to switch a lot of different things defensively. 

Our thing is playing at a different pace and shooting the ball.  We've got to shoot the ball and that's what we will spend a lot of time on this summer."

This is very evident. 

Notice that playing at a different pace was listed BEFORE "shooting the ball". 

• Like 3

On 5/9/2022 at 1:30 PM, IUFLA said:

Payne was a good guy. If I remember right, he developed a relationship with a young girl who had cancer. It was a heartbreaking story, but at the same time showed what kind of man he was...RIP 

That was setup to repair his image after being accused of sexual assault.

On 5/10/2022 at 3:29 PM, BGleas said:

Add in the ability to defend different types of players out on the floor and be able to switch on guards late shot clock and contain them is huge. He has the potential. Needs a lot of work but still has the potential 

• Like 1

On 5/13/2022 at 3:35 PM, btownqb said:

Chris on BTB said alcohol is on its way to Assembly Hall this winter! 

LFG!

So you mean I don't have to pound the last 1 hour at Nick's anymore because I can just buy a couple at the game? Awesome.

Assembly Hall and beer. Good Lord the noise coming...

• Like 2