Offseason 2022

58 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Pretty sure all of our big guys are over 50% from 2. 

I know it is a different game today but a lot of our top guards and wing players under RMK shot close to 50 percent from 2. Alford's freshman year he shot 58 percent from the field with no 3 pointers at the time.

47 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I know it is a different game today but a lot of our top guards and wing players under RMK shot close to 50 percent from 2. Alford's freshman year he shot 58 percent from the field with no 3 pointers at the time.

Yes, there were some great shooters. But there were also guys who didn’t shoot well, but brought other things to their teams. On his best teams ever, neither Buckner or Wilkerson were good shooters. Jim Thomas wasn’t either. Smart hit one of the biggest shots in IU history, but he was much better in transition than as a spot up shooter.

You watch tons of old games. More than anyone else on here I would bet. Sometimes I think you’re longing for the past clouds your thinking on how things really were.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Yes, there were some great shooters. But there were also guys who didn’t shoot well, but brought other things to their teams. On his best teams ever, neither Buckner or Wilkerson were good shooters. Jim Thomas wasn’t either. Smart hit one of the biggest shots in IU history, but he was much better in transition than as a spot up shooter.

You watch tons of old games. More than anyone else on here I would bet. Sometimes I think you’re longing for the past clouds your thinking on how things really were.

I don't blame the players but it is more about how the offensive game is today.  Back then the shot selection and more importantly the type of shots taken were better back then. With the 30 second clock plus the type of offense that is ran you get more contested shots at the end of the shot clock which leads to poorer percentages. When you had player movement and guys who knew how to use screens you got more open looks.  Also you usually took the first open look no matter where you were on the court.  Taking away the good 12-15 foot shots will lower the percentages.  Only shooting 3's or layups makes it so much easier to guard college players.

9 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Ok I checked the stats for the players you mentioned.

75-76 season.

Buckner shot 45 percent, not great then but would be a good percentage today.

Wilkinson shot 49.5 percent.

80-81 season

Jim Thomas shot 49.5 percent.

86-87 season

Keith Smart shot 52 percent.

When people think of shooting today they just think of the 3 pointer but there is way more to shooting than that.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Ok I checked the stats for the players you mentioned.

75-76 season.

Buckner shot 45 percent, not great then but would be a good percentage today.

Wilkinson shot 49.5 percent.

80-81 season

Jim Thomas shot 49.5 percent.

86-87 season

Keith Smart shot 52 percent.

When people think of shooting today they just think of the 3 pointer but there is way more to shooting than that.

Buckner's would not be good today, because if he played today he wouldn't be taking the same shots. Even guards back then typically shot from much closer than they do now. 

For example, XJ isn't really considered a good shooter, but his TS% is 8% higher for his college career than Buckner's was. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Buckner's would not be good today, because if he played today he wouldn't be taking the same shots. Even guards back then typically shot from much closer than they do now. 

For example, XJ isn't really considered a good shooter, but his TS% is 8% higher for his college career than Buckner's was. 

Offense was never Buckner's forte...

He played hard, he played smart, he was a lockdown defender, and...

He was probably the most deserving of any IU player in my lifetime to be called "a leader" and "a winner." 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Offense was never Buckner's forte...

He played hard, he played smart, he was a lockdown defender, and...

He was probably the most deserving of any IU player in my lifetime to be called "a leader" and "a winner." 

All great stuff! Wasn't really debating any of that, was just talking about shooting percentages. 

Just now, BGleas said:

All great stuff! Wasn't really debating any of that, was just talking about shooting percentages. 

I know, just pointing out that there are more ways to shine on a basketball court than scoring or shooting percentage. 

Intangibles are why he starred at IU and played 10 years in the NBA.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

That is my point is that the style offense is why shooting percentages are down.  

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

lot of our top guards and wing players under RMK shot close to 50 percent from 2. Alford's freshman year he shot 58 percent from the field with no 3 pointers at the time.

Knight once had an entire team where every player shot 50% or better from the field.  Except for his son, Pat.  Who had no business being on a Big Ten team at all.

I wonder if any college team has ever had every player shoot 50% or better for a season - even the scrubs.   

Just now, Madison22 said:

Knight once had an entire team where every player shot 50% or better from the field.  Except for his son, Pat.  Who had no business being on a Big Ten team at all.

I wonder if any college team has ever had every player shoot 50% or better for a season - even the scrubs.   

Don't forget Pat was a great passer LOL!

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

That is my point is that the style offense is why shooting percentages are down.  

Right, but my point was 45% in 1976 was really bad. Buckner would he far worse in today's game, not 45%. 

I realize that also supports your point, though I'm not arguing against that. Just saying, when you said Buckner shot 45% and that wasn't really that bad, it kind of was. 

• Like 1

I guess when talking about shooting percentages I don't care what some analytics tells me. It tells me that shooting 10-30 from 3 is as good as shooting 15-30 but I could never agree with you that.  What I see is 5 more missed shots that gives the opposing team to get out and run.  It also gives your defense less possessions to get your defense set because the team is not taking the ball out after a made basket.  I also see a lot less chances to draw fouls that leads to less points from free throws  just as a fan when I see 67 percent of shot missed it makes for a less enjoyable game to watch.

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Right, but my point was 45% in 1976 was really bad. Buckner would he far worse in today's game, not 45%. 

I realize that also supports your point, though I'm not arguing against that. Just saying, when you said Buckner shot 45% and that wasn't really that bad, it kind of was. 

I said it wasn't great for the time but that percentage today would be considered good.

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I guess when talking about shooting percentages I don't care what some analytics tells me. It tells me that shooting 10-30 from 3 is as good as shooting 15-30 but I could never agree with you that.  What I see is 5 more missed shots that gives the opposing team to get out and run.  It also gives your defense less possessions to get your defense set because the team is not taking the ball out after a made basket.  I also see a lot less chances to draw fouls that leads to less points from free throws  just as a fan when I see 67 percent of shot missed it makes for a less enjoyable game to watch.

A lot more chances for offensive rebounds, too. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Does everyone have this dream...?

I swear...I'm in my 50's and recently had the same stupid dream...😂...I couldn't even find the classroom when I looked.

yeah, i haven't had it in a while but i had a stint there where i was almost like it was continuous.  A new day, same class, same uneasy feeling of either no having ever come to class, study for it or doing any of the required work and then getting to end and not knowing what to do.  Always felt so real compared to most of my dreams.

On 5/20/2022 at 11:42 AM, IowaHoosierFan said:

Same.  Its been awhile since i had these dreams but man i would wake up and have the feeling for days that i was forgetting to do something. 

I have 2-3 dreams each week that I'm back in school, a huge project/essay that was assigned weeks ago is due in a few days and I haven't even started. I've been out of school for a decade now. 

• Like 1

I have a dream where I'm back living in a dorm, which for me was a double all to myself in Read, in the hub with a personal full bathroom attached. Sweet setup. Only in my dream I know I've graduated. I'm not going to class, even though I've enrolled in classes. And I'm adding debt by way tuition & room and board. Wonder what that dream means...

Edited by Maedhros
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, Madison22 said:

Pat was Bob's favorite IU player if all time.  Or, second to Buckner if he didnt clean his room.

• Haha 1